Home | About | Donate

The Night the Candidates Were Speechless

The Night the Candidates Were Speechless

Michael Winship

The convergence of Tuesday night’s broadcast interruption during the first game of the World Series – caused by an electronics failure and power outage — and Wednesday night’s Republican presidential debate brings to mind one of the most memorable TV snafus in history: the 27-minute loss of audio during the first presidential debate between incumbent Republican President Gerald Ford and Democratic challenger Jimmy Carter.

Fascinating story. Personally, I would have felt like a horse's ass just standing there. Maybe Jimmy and Jerry should have gone out for a beer while they figured it out.

I would have to say that my biggest speech disappointment was that of George McGovern's famous "Come Home America" speech that was made in the wee hours of the morning while most Americans slept-
Democratic nominee McGovern didn't get to make his acceptance speech at his party's National Convention that summer until the early morning hours, after most television viewers had gone to
bed. Consequently, few Americans heard one of the finest, most patriotic speeches ever delivered in a political campaign. Few Americans heard World War II-hero McGovern's stirring, eloquent plea, "Come home, America," in which he made the case for the United States to end its destructive, ill-conceived foray into Viet Nam and come home.
Below is A video of that famous speech for those of interest:

McGovern: 'Come Home America'
Former South Dakota Senator George McGovern, the liberal crusader who won the Democratic Party's presidential nomination in 1972, passed away Sunday morning,October 21, 2012 at age 90. In this clip from his 1972 DNC acceptance speech, McGovern said 'it is the time for this land to become again a witness to the world for what is just and noble in human affairs.'

Both of them were military, right?

They just stood 'at ease', waiting for the sound.

I'm sure they'd have preferred to go for a brew.