Home | About | Donate

The Ongoing Call for Nuclear Abolition at Los Alamos

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/06/ongoing-call-nuclear-abolition-los-alamos

2 Likes

I know engineers who engage in nuclear weapons research. Its very frustrating to find folk, who claim to be progressive, who can justify work on weapons that are intended to slaughter masses of civilian men, women, and children. The main arguments that I have heard are that:

1. By developing the power to obliterate the enemy, we are preventing war.
  2. If I don’t do it, somebody else will.

I find both arguments to be BS. To the first argument: Nuclear weapons only increase the chance of war. To the second argument: Every time the weapons industry has to fire somebody and go out to hire a new person, it screws them a little. Even that little negative impact is worth it.

1 Like

America has always been awash in violence from the Western shoot-em-ups to the nuclear age. The greater evil is the messengers like the “paper of record” that lie to us. Whether it is the assassinations of the sixties or the false flags of the 2000s.

Every weapon created has been used, to my knowledge, except the Hydrogen Bomb…and it is truly terrifying to contemplate. The whole word lives in the shadow of Los Alamos.