Home | About | Donate

The Only Solution to America's Political Crisis

The Only Solution to America's Political Crisis

Paul Street

Hardly a day has gone by over the last two years when one hasn’t been able to learn of yet another soul-numbing outrage on the part of President Donald Trump and his administration. The stories have been relentlessly disturbing:

5 Likes

Mr. Street,

From what you’re saying here, is, the only solution to America’s political crisis would be to “Dump The Duopoly” completely, and support non-corporate representatives of a truly democratic form of governance.

Not an easy task when the majority of voters are Zombie addicted to the corporate whores that permeate the two-party system of catering to the rich assholes that buy their allegiance.

8 Likes

> the inauthentic opposition party

Nailed it

7 Likes

Yea, a whole lot of de programing and re-education on a national scale will be required. And done WHILE the status quo crowd (with all the money) fights against it, tooth and nail.

Tall order

8 Likes

In case nobody has noticed but the Corporatist State has needed to be dismantled long before Trump got into office. Could we please just focus on getting the authoritarian President Trump out of the Oval Office and just maybe on getting a long time progressive in? Despite the grandiose wishes of many a progressive (since more recently ‘progressive voices’ have finally started being heard) about how capitalism needs be replaced with an utopia, the real issue is a Trump second term. Do the words ‘ravening wolves’ ring a bell when thinking about Trump and the republican right? They should.

How about we start to seriously consider utopia after we replace Trump? Imagine the increasing dismantling of our democracy (and continuing ecological trauma and environmental degradation) that will occur if Trump gets another term!

Just because progressive voices have started to be heard around election time (thank you Bernie) that doesn’t mean that utopian visions of dismantling capitalism are at hand. Even if putting the cart before the horse could make engineering sense in the era of modern materials and skills, neither means of using a horse to move a cart makes sense to try until you get a new horse!

We need first and foremost to concentrate on removing a ravening wolf from office or at the very least to ensuring that a saner and far more progressive candidate gets elected instead. Creating utopia on the quick can wait until later.

1 Like

Joe Biden: THE LEADER OF THE INAUTHENTIC OPPOSITION!

7 Likes

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

,Albert Einstein

Status Quo will kill us

7 Likes

Street is more than simply saying “Dump the Duopoly.” He is saying, very plainly, that voting is in our staged “representative” elections insufficient to meet the crises we face, particularly the crisis of democracy, the corporate state, and fascism.

He is saying we need organized mass civil resistance, and we need to “dismantle the corporate state.” Street is right.

8 Likes

Not utopia. Street is saying that to dump Trump we need to go beyond electoral politics and organize resistance in the streets. Pandering to the rhetoric of the corporatist Democratic leadership will not work.

Street is right.

7 Likes

Hi Wereflea:
I really love the wolves, so it’s upsetting to make them seem the evil doers of the world. I suppose that Red Riding Hood story started that rumor-----I would prefer to exchange wolf for the truly ravaging entity, the Tapeworm. They live off the human body and get bigger and longer and suck up all the energy , and that seems much more Trump-like. : )

5 Likes

Superb for Common Dreams to re-publish one of Paul Street’s solidly realist analyses.

The “centrist, mainstream, normal channels” framework of how to face Trump that is presented by the corporate media and corporate Democratic party, is a delusional fantasy. Street is the realist.

7 Likes

The old adage of, "you can’t walk until you’ve crawled" comes to mind reading your recommendation Wereflea.

America hasn’t really been walking or crawling forward for decades.

Seems to me, we’ve been “creeping” backwards longer than I care to remember.

Trump’s putting the noose around his own neck every day.

I too am anxious to see a progressive rise to the top of the heap, and we had one in 2016 and we all know how the Democratic Party Establishment treated him.

Please don’t ask anyone to bite the bullet and vote for Biden.

I think that instead of that, I would rather, “bite the barrel.”

3 Likes

Thank you for mentioning the “Progressive voices” in the democratic party. They seem to constantly be thrown under the bus, and being depicted as all inclusive democrat shitheads.
We don’t have a complicit, all encompassing party. It could be split into to factions of liberals, but then they would see the fate of the Green Party upon them as well.

1 Like

“We cannot solve our problems with the same (thinking) we used when we created them.”
But isn’t that exactly what the republican party’s “thinking” is all about? Insane repeat.

1 Like

PB This does beg the question: Is it okay to allow the election of the the worst of the evils, by not voting for the lesser of the two evils. This apparently has befuddled a lot of voters in the last election.
Honoring our war dead today, sad that there are sooo many.

G, this also begs the question, “How does voting for the candidates that most represent you, which may not be in either of the corrupted corporate parties, imply that you, are allowing any evil candidate to prevail?”

2 Likes

They aren’t trying to solve the problem. Their goal is to dig the hole deeper

2 Likes

Quite the conundrum. Just to show my loyalties, I would fully support a viable Green Party, or a revamped Democratic Party. I’m about as far left as I can be without actually going to jail. That may be next though, especially if I find myself in the company of others as revolutionary minded.

4 Likes

And the initial numbers willing to engage in real civil disobedience would be met with scorn and brutality which, as the rest of the people would see on the " news", would quickly discourage others from joining.

However, the great unknown in all of this could make the impossible suddenly become possible, albeit very unpleasant. I am speaking of, among others, Economic events, Climate/Weather shocks, and/or Foreign Policy miscues (just to name a few).

However we look at it, the status quo is not sustainable. Of that I am sure.

3 Likes

Does hitting the streets seem a bit like sending other people’s children off to corporate wars? Not if we’re willing to put our own bodies in harms way.

Increasingly in other countries, Direct Liquid Democracy gives them a non-violent, peaceful and lasting system change.

1 Like