Home | About | Donate

The Open Amazon and Its Enemies: A Call for Action and Optimism

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/28/open-amazon-and-its-enemies-call-action-and-optimism

Fine article, acknowledging the multi-faceted nature of this issue - and without hyperbole !

This part strikes me most:

"What we are witnessing in the Amazon is a natural and human rights violation. But also, and most importantly, it is the violation of the right of humanity to exist in the future. So, it is not an exaggeration to sustain that, should Bolsonaro pursue his vandalistic approach to the Brazilian rainforest, he should be brought to justice by the international court."

As I spend more and more time devoted to environmentalism, a picture is beginning to form in my head of what needs to be done. The issue of what to do is so easily overwhelming that a certain simplicity must emerge first.

Rights for the Environment and for People is how I would summarize this entire article - perhaps the wording should be reversed - Rights for People & the Environment ?

Yes - that sounds and feels better.

Something to get anyone new to this idea of rights for the environment started ~

SHOULD TREES HAVE STANDING?- TOW ARD LEGAL RIGHTS FOR NATURAL OBJECTS (Christopher Stone legal argument, 1972).

Summary:

"The reason for this little discourse on the unthinkable, the reader
must know by now, if only from the title of the paper. I am quite
seriously proposing that we give legal rights to forests, oceans, rivers
and other so-called “natural objects”· in the environment-indeed, to
the natural environment as a whole."

• Chris Stone