Home | About | Donate

The Partisan Gerrymandering Cases That Could Shape the Future of Southern Politics

The Partisan Gerrymandering Cases That Could Shape the Future of Southern Politics

Benjamin Barber

The 2018 midterm elections resulted in a surge in turnout for Democratic voters across the South, but the increase in Democratic participation didn't translate directly to an increase in Democratic power because of gerrymandering — the drawing of electoral district lines to benefit one party or racial group over others.

While the Koch bothers (sic) did not initiate gerrymandering, their minions have placed such activity very high on their priority lists. The Kochs’ fingerprints are on a whole bunch of backroom devious practices. I wish I knew the remedy, but the only thing I know to do now is to keep calling attention to them, as they prefer to always remain in the shadows.

I hope someone can file suit to repair the gerrymandered Wisconsin districts, otherwise how do you vote in people who would change this by our legislators? They are perpetual antagonists, the republicans in office here.

Gerrymandering is just one part of a thoroughly fraudulent US election system. We have no voice in who or what our government is or does. Unless the current system is completely restructured from top to bottom, nothing will change. The other solution isn’t a pleasant one.