Home | About | Donate

“The People,” Missing in Action in America’s Wars

“The People,” Missing in Action in America’s Wars

Tom Engelhardt

On February 15, 2003, an almost unimaginable 13-plus years ago, I took part in a court-banned antiwar march in New York City. The police, it turned out, couldn’t stop us (though they could, in various ways, pen us in). Depending on whether you believed the police or the demonstration's organizers, I was one of either 100,000 or 400,000 people who clogged the streets of the Big Apple that day, one of literally millions of protesters (no one knows just how many) who turned out across the planet in an unprecedented effort to stop George W.

"History" is written by murderous bastards along with their heirs and acolytes while the people are relegated to detritus of time. Read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States and you will see how this is sadly true. I'll die very proud that my name is not on any building, as most buildings are named for scoundrels and psychopaths that "history" celebrated.

And what's missing from "The People" is perseverance. No short cuts that I'm aware of as to learning how to persevere other than through persevering. Thankfully, we have a model of perseverance in our midst: Bernie Sanders. He has spent the majority of his life fighting for the same just causes. May we persevere with him in this political revolution to end inequality and the waging of war.

The fateful decision to do away with the draft gave the militarists carte blanche to hip hop over the globe, the people are missing because the dying is done by others, the poor, and needy.

"There seems to be a lack of concern among too many people about the state of the nation, and a too easy acceptance of policies and actions of a kind that a generation ago would have appalled the citizenry. The apparent broad acceptance of the "volunteer army" idea comes to mind- a concept completely at variance with our historic development. Up to now, a blessing of our system has been that those who go into the military service, whether by enlistment or through the draft, could hardly wait to get out. But today, because of the exigencies of the times, there is a chance that we may turn our back on this fundamental principle: a large, standing professional army has no place in this Republic."

J. William Fulbright, "The Pentagon Propaganda Machine."

Yes, Howard Zinn's book is a true history of the United States. Should be required reading in all schools.

" Most buildings are named for scoundrels and psychopaths that "history" celebrated."

So true. A few that come to mind: the Hoover FBI building in Washington D.C.; Dulles airport; Reagan airport; and many, many more!

" Millions of protesters ( no one knows how many ) who turned out across the planet in an unprecedented effort to stop George W."

When so many of us tried to stop the lies of Bush, Cheney, Rice and Powell among others, of using 9/11 and the bogus WMD's in Iraq, as a valid reason for the canard of war and illegal invasion of Iraq I realized right there and then, that it would not matter how egregious the lies were and no matter how many, in America, and world wide protested the illegal Iraq war it would be to no avail, because that is when I really realized Amerika was a military dictatorship, not a democracy where millions of people's opinions mattered. And when I fully became awake to the fact that I had been lied to all my life and the US military was not being used defensively, for my protection, but as hit men and enforcers for the protection of the vested interests of the Oligarch's and the world wide Amerikan Empire. I knew I was living in a military dictatorship.

And whether one realizes it or not: we are living in the most dangerous country in the world, since the Third Reich.

Within six months of the September 2011 emergence of Occupy Wall Street (OWS), a movement that drilled down even deeper (than war protesters do) to illuminate the financial roots and driving force of eternal occupations and wars, Obama's justice department made everything OWS did illegal.

Tom, you know what just blows my mind?

Journalists like you who all of these years later haven't bothered to question the official narrative of 9/11. Pick just one unanswered question and go for it. Stopping future wars depends on it.

Please reread my post and note the quotation marks.

You said what I would have said. Good job!

When terms like "our wars" or "we went to war" are used, they lend false validity and the patina of collective support to actions taken by unlawful agents acting on their own best interests... no one else's.

I refuse to conform to that language of collective ownership.

Such a status only proves true when citizens are properly informed--as opposed to propagandized 24/7, and when citizens have an influence over public policy.

In a militarized empire (or Inverted Totalitarian System), citizens have NO agency. Therefore, to claim that wars engineered (on the basis of FIXED "evidence") are the product of the nation's people is false.

Do the nation's people get any greater safety? Any better infrastructure? Any less violence on its streets? Any more financial benefits to working families?

The whole War on Terror is as bogus as a 7-dollar bill.

It was planned, engineered, enacted, and kept in play by a small cabal and those who profit directly from the False Narrative and its owners.

Happens to all of us from time to time.

Yes, and so true. Thanks for your kind reply.

A longterm memory is required.

Agree about the Draft. The anti-war movement in the 60s was fueled by the young. I was in school then and the general feeling among my classmates was that they didn't want to finish school only to be shipped off to war against a people who were no threat to us (unless you believed the "Domino Theory" would broach the Pacific) and come home in a box. That anti-war movement arose as much out of self interest as it did out of principle. Young people now are much more apathetic, and even the more principled youth do not have the desperate motivation of staying alive and are easily distracted by the trappings of making money or having a good time. And now we are on the verge of electing a President who actually voted for the Iraq war. Will people wake up when we are at war with Russia? But then it will be too late. Don't worry General Turgedson, we already have one of them Doomsday Machines.

Very well said.