Home | About | Donate

The Phony Liberalism of Bill Maher

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/05/phony-liberalism-bill-maher

2 Likes

I think the piece went a little far. I for sure don’t agree with everything Maher says, but for the most part I agree with him. As far as religion, he is right on. He often has an arrogant attitude about him as I have seen in a lot of so called “liberals”, but overall I agree with him say 80% of the time.

7 Likes

Maher is the Rush Limbaugh for Liberals. Like Rush, he serves corporate power by directing the focus of viewers to the political system, thus keeping them distracted from looking at, analyzing or understanding real power in the highly militarized corporate/banking/finance sector. Corporations always want the public to blame government for problems and to keep pointing fingers at government. Bill is a tool of power and is paid well to do so. Bill is rightly appalled by terror carried out by Muslims, but is an apologist for the far worse and far more devastating terror carried out by people who call themselves Christians in the halls of U.S. power. It is not surprising that Bill names “the Ronald Reagan Republican Party” as likable. The Reaganites were responsible for destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of “little brown brothers” in Central America in the 1980s. Maher is a sycophant of the DNC. Corporate power does not pay $10 million to people who critically challenge corporate power (Richard Wolff does not have a weekly show on HBO). Bill knows where to put his nose. And the show is utterly boring. Bill is smoking too many joints and reading too few books…

16 Likes

Liberal or not - I don’t care about that, but —

Bill Maher’s predictable and shallow juvenile sarcasm as a basis for a money-making TV show is symptomatic of the dysfunction within American discourse which includes a lack of critical thinking.

15 Likes

Very accurate article. He has veered to the right and is openly opposed to progressivism.
His movie Religulous is great, and he opposes the worship of human birth.
Other than that, he’s no help, and has on stupid corporate Dem losers like Barney Frank, and shallow media hacks like Bari Weiss.
I have friends who know him, and they say his off-air personality is the same as on-air: smug, caustic, sarcastic, rude, arrogant, selfish, Zionist.
He’s a rich libertarian asshole.

15 Likes

I watched Bill’s show for quite a few years, but in the last few years he has become very much like Rush Limbaugh.

Bill is not nearly as perceptive as he thinks he is.

12 Likes

Yes. Just like all the rest of the “shows” like SNL (Sat. Night Live), they trivialize the very serious daily/otherwise issues that effect most all Americans’ lives.

5 Likes

And he’s always had a strong hint of mysogeny in him.

12 Likes

Well said. I agree 100%.

2 Likes

I recall an episode where he verbally attacked a young man who made a comment about 9/11 being an inside job. Maher went off the deep end. Which makes sense for a closet Zionist when you consider the role Mossad may have played in orchestrating that crime against humanity.

He’s just a snotty, self-adoring little asshole

5 Likes

The art of comedy is short-circuited thinking. One does not necessarily lead to the other. Just makes a mess of both.

The Morning Joe appearance was especially egregious with Bill and Joe labeling Sanders and other candidates “far left” even though those candidates’ platforms are no different than FDR’s, Truman’s, JFK’s and LBJ’s platforms…all of whom were centrists.

Joe concluded by suggesting that the Democrats need a candidate like Robert Kennedy…which contradicts Bill and Joe’s “far left” discussion when you consider that RFK was further left than Sanders when he ran in the 1968 primary.

10 Likes

Liberality is not a name, it is a perspective and choice of actions. Keeping these distinctions straight is one of the challenges in a age of constant conflation by sociopathic opportunists.

2 Likes

Yup, the predatory capital handlers playbook runs about $10M per media standee

2 Likes

He claims to be a Libertarian. Is that “liberal” ? Not in my book. Just a stealth Republican.

Libertarians are just Republicans who realize they should be ashamed of it but don’t have the guts to admit it.

9 Likes

same here. Used to watch but stopped a few years ago. Bill is useless to any possible solutions.
Ol BIll is in the same reality as any of the oligarchy

Bill Maher net worth: $100 Million
Bill Maher’s Salary: $10 Million /year

6 Likes

His conservatism slips in for sure, like when he SERIOUSLY insults his own audience. He’s mean to them.

2 Likes

MacLeod sez:
“Maher appeared on MSNBC ’s flagship breakfast show, Morning Joe, where he claimed that the Democrats’ … nominating a leftist as (their) presidential candidate would spell disaster in the next election.”

Unlike, say, the last presidential election, which led to the Ryan/McTurtle/Chump Tax Scam™ that delivered a big-time windfall for this guy:

McLeod adds:
"Maher has built up an impressive following and continues to espouse snarky elitist hot takes weekly for HBO, earning an estimated $10 million per year doing so.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. He is just the right product and representative of the system. Typical inverted propaganda, when he says: “Because government is a sieve that takes as much money as it can and gives it away, usually needlessly.” The opposite is true. It is the government that enables a system that does not take, but gives people like him ~$1million/month (for producing disguised propaganda), and to half the country (for working 2-3 jobs), less than ~$1-2k per month.

He is not a genuine political satirist.

3 Likes

Thank you for exposing this Maher clown for the completely phony Reagan conservative racist, Zionist jerk that he is. Clowns like him and Rachel Maddow are PAID to pose as “leftist liberals” and imply the bogus claim that what they are selling is a “reasonable leftist” view. They are paid to relentlessly attack and smirk at real progressives on the left AND muddy the waters to confuse the less informed while they are relentlessly pitching WAR MONGERING right wing ideologies. Maher and Maddow are at the top of the heap of these SCUM. I got exactly what this Maher jerk was when he had an audience member thrown out when they asked him why he never questioned and constantly peddled the Bush/Cheney “official conspiracy theory” about 9/11. When the person asked him to explain how building #7 (the third tower) collapsed, Maher had him ejected as he yelled at the person about how “crazy” they were. Maher is a dangerous propagandist. Turn him OFF!

8 Likes