Home | About | Donate

The Planet Is On Fucking Fire

The Planet Is On Fucking Fire

With the planet now beset by the highest levels of atmospheric carbon in human history, no more Mister Nice Science Guy Bill Nye put in a memorably fiery appearance on Last Week Tonight to help John Oliver explain the grim facts of climate change and "drive the urgency home." He did so by dropping multiple F bombs, torching a globe, laying out what we can do, and snarling, "Nothing’s free, you idiots. Grow the fuck up...You’re adults now, and this is an actual crisis, got it?"

2 Likes

We are ruled by psychopaths, not imbeciles. They know they are killing the entire planet and are loving every minute of it.

4 Likes

Hi Tarsus, well they are psychopaths, but more than that. Maybe we should call them
psycho-pyro-paths—because like Bill Nye said, “The Planet is fucking on fire!”

3 Likes

But they are also, psycho-hydro-paths because we’ll all be underwater as well.

1 Like

But at least with John Oliver and Bill Nye we can perhaps have a shot at dying while laughing. Everyday I am reminded why I chose not to pursue having children, for I like children far too much to “gift” them the bullshit that is our heritage. “The End Is Near” signs have been carried by many a generation now. I had hoped to forestall their truth for what would seemingly be an unimaginable time for me–that was the basis of my morality. Such idealism ain’t going to cut it. The technological “fixes” we contemplate are important, no doubt, but humanity (particularly the Western corner) needs to learn how to live with less. Hyper-finalicalized capitalism needs to be attacked starting from the leftmost adjective first and proceeding rightward. Baubles need desperately to be replaced with meaningful, civilized, education-informed activities. I guess it’s time for a dog walk, now. I’ll have to admonish her to neither fart nor belch along the way…

4 Likes

The Bill Nye bit was hilarious – and underscored the urgency.

John Oliver peddling cap-and-trade or a straight up carbon tax as remedies for a burgeoning crisis wasn’t funny at all – and underscored the incrementalism that passes for “doing something.”

Well, 50 years from now, none of this will matter.

2 Likes

This is your planet.
This is your planet on fossil fuels (picture flaming globe)
Any questions?

2 Likes

Hi 4thefuture: Ohhhhh excellent! I love it psycho-HYDRO-paths! : )

1 Like

Hi Mossonarock! Wait wait, did you say “Safety glasses on”, first? : )

1 Like

No More Mister Nice Nye

Funny. And powerful and moving - Nye’s throwing off his longstanding humane identity - the benevolent, positive scientific educator geared towards young and growing minds - for an angry, urgent, and terribly disappointed act of communication. Lab jacket, bowtie, and everyday educative props heightening the pathos.

“You’re not children any more,” indeed.

2 Likes

I sent this to everyone that I chat with.

1 Like

Nye’s little naughty bits sketch reminds me of the infamous Wayne Brady sketch on Chapelle’s Show several years ago.

He’ll be famous for years.

It was pretty much the only funny thing in the segment, given how I think Oliver kills his own jokes by hammering them beyond death.

Good idea, I’m going to send it to people too - plus emailed him: bnsg@billnye.com

Looks like one more small but self-renewing donation to some climate change organization on top of my current ones.