Home | About | Donate

The Plot to Kill Venezuela

The Plot to Kill Venezuela

Vijay Prashad

Hugo Chávez knew that Venezuela was very vulnerable. Its oil revenues account for 98 percent of its export earnings. Chávez was familiar with the thinking of Juan Pablo Pérez Alfonzo, Venezuela’s minister of mines and hydrocarbons in the early 1960s and one of the architects of OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries).

3 Likes

The United States is a villain.

4 Likes

They are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

1 Like

How sad to see Canada sign onto the violent, dangerous propaganda that misrepresents international aggression as benign foreign policy.
Minister Freeland is truly a right wing authoritarian.

Am I alone in thinking that the price of oil isn’t necessarily determined by strictly “market forces?” Might there have been an Invisble Thumb on the scale, aimed at making the Venezuelan economy scream? I’d like to see a graph plotting Saudi Arabia’s daily output since 2001 against the spot price for crude.

I’ve always believed that the “market price” for certain commodities, not just oil, can be fine-tuned like a Cremonese viola when other considerations (whether a country is a dependable ally of the US, for example) are factored in.

2 Likes

Tell that to Jean Luc Picard. No, he resisted.

I will resist.

As I remember it was ?Hillary ?Kerry that met with Saudis to devise a plan to drop the price of oil in order to collapse the oil dependent economies of Russia, Iran, and Venezuela by flooding the world with excess oil production from Middle East and USA. Or is this conspiracy theory?