Home | About | Donate

The Plutocrats Are Winning. Don’t Let Them!

The Plutocrats Are Winning. Don’t Let Them!

Bill Moyers

Dear Readers:

In the fall of 2001, in the aftermath of 9/11, as families grieved and the nation mourned, Washington swarmed with locusts of the human kind: wartime opportunists, lobbyists, lawyers, ex-members of Congress, bagmen for big donors: all of them determined to grab what they could for their corporate clients and rich donors while no one was looking.

Bill Moyers is a national treasure. His in-depth analyses and commentaries show us the who and how and why, that the corrupted media does not, but we do not listen or act in sufficient numbers to change anything - his wisdom and moral compass do not reach enough people. "If only" we might say in 10, 20, or 30 years, but by then it will be too late........

Privatization of public services produces perverse profit motives that contradict the public's intention in oh so many ways. The public must take back its power because the plutocrats are certainly not going to give it back. Unfortunately, the bread and circuses model is working so well for the plutocrats that our society plunges onward to Idiocracy with most unaware of what has been and remains to be lost.

In our local group of Bernie Sanders supporters, we selected "Bernie Can't Be Bought" as the slogan for a banner that one of our members designed. So far that banner has been in a parade, a roadside rally, and at two debate watch gatherings at a local pizza/movie place.

Bernie is the only major candidate refusing contributions from PACs. Hillary lied about her contributors during the recent debate. She, and all the Republican candidates except Trump, who personifies the 1%, are owned by those who bought them.

Don't want the plutocrats to win? Vote for Bernie!

Bernie Sanders 2016 - He can't be bought!

Clinton's Fuzzy Math

Where Sanders donations come from

Yeah, sure--he can't be bought. LOL.

If Bernie gets elected, we might stand a chance. If not...

LOL: Often used by incompetent critics pretending they don't need to prove a point they can't support with facts.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Obama's highest 2016 priorities (TPP, TTIP and TISA) are designed to turn the plutocracy into a superplutocracy with no need to bribe judges...those "trade deals" bypass courts and transform the plutocrats' agents into the judges.

I was not commenting on Truman, but Bill Moyers Max. I know the horrors "little Boy" and "Fat Man" inflicted, but that, like Truman, is not relevant to my comment or Moyers role teaching and informing us. perhaps Faux news is more to you're liking?

Bill Moyers speaks truth to power and to the American people on many critical issues; he informs and educates us as very few do today. If you're going to denegrate Moyers and question his integrity at least provide evidence and a link to such - I will look forward to it.......

Dear Bill. I love your integrity, courage, honesty and Humanity. I agree with all you have written. One niggle always comes back to haunt me though whenever I see your name: that is the memo from Katzenbach (within hours of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald) detailing the need for a special blue-ribbon commission to quell the talk of a conspiracy. That memo alone is itself 'conspiracy' i.e. a secret agreement to find that Oswald acted alone in the assassination of President Kennedy. Appointing Allan Dulles to micro-manage the Warren Commission allowed him to deceive and dissemble - as is the way with everything the CIA does, to conceal the fact that Oswald was a CIA asset whose supposed defection to Russia was all part of a clever ruse to help 'explain' why Gary Powers' U2 was shot down just in time to derail the Paris Peace Talks. I note the recent Tom Hanks disinfo movie "Bridge of Spies" had no timeline thus spreading confusion that Dulles was behind the release of Powers when in fact Dulles had already been sacked 6 months.

So Bill. You are pateny not one of the bad guys, but do you not think that you owe it to posterity and your good name to come clean on all you know about the assassination of JFK?

Bill Moyers says we need politics serving a moral order---and we sure don't have that now. There is no moral core. The goal of life is to get rich---not to be a good person. Our society is plunging onward to idiocracy with most unaware of what has been and remains to be lost. Most of us get all our information as to what is going on in the world from the major media----and those people do not want us to know what is going on. If you saw it on TV you should realize you have been fed a dish of propaganda. There is no truth, only lies.

You don't even know the voting record of your 'Representative'. All you need to know is whether the 'rep' is a Democrat or a Republican. Both are equally corrupt and working for the wealthy 'donors'

For starters go on line and look up how your 'rep' voted on funding the wars, and cutting the food stamp funding. Did your 'rep' vote to give more munitions to Israel to kill Palestinians? What was the vote trashing our Constitution and giving one man the power to declare war and to order any person to be killed IF that person is SUSPECTED to be a terrorist---what ever that means. Some democracy when 74% of the people want medicare for all with NO INSURANCE CORPORATIONS INVOLVED. Do you approve of all the wars, killing and destruction in the middle east? On know anyone who does want the wars to continue until we are in World War III?

We need candidates who will swear to vote as directed by the people in the district and NOT as directed by the corporations and mega wealthy.

This is the fallacy affirming the consequent.

If I am in Kansas, then I am in the US.
I am in the US.
Therefore, I am in Kansas. (The conclusion is false because I could be in any of the other 49 states.)

If both Democrats and Republicans are equally corrupt, then our country is in bad shape.
Our country is in bad shape.
Therefore, both Democrats and Republicans are equally corrupt.

All social welfare programs enacted since FDR was president were enacted by Democrats and opposed by Republicans.

1. Social Security.
  2. Expanding Social Security to spouses and dependents.
  3. Disability insurance.
  4. Unemployment insurance.
  5. A minimum wage.
  6. Medicare.
  7. Medicaid.
  8. The ACA.
  9. Expanding Medicaid under the ACA (in states not controlled by Republicans).

Republicans believe in supply-side economics (cut taxes on the wealthy and something will trickle down to the reset of us), while Democrats are Keynesians who want to raise taxes on the wealthy.

Republicans believe in Social Darwinism (the rich are rich because they are more fit than the poor who are less fit because they are dependent on the government). Democrats understand that this is nonsense because the logic is circular: if I am rich, then it is because I am more fit and if I am more fit, then it is evident in the fact I am rich.

It may be your opinion that Democrats are as bad as Republicans and you are certainly entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Capitalism is predicated on humans acting out of rational self-interest and the invisible hand of the market producing the best outcomes. No capitalist will work for the common good because, for them, "selfishness is a virtue" and altruism is a vice.

So, how do you propose to convince enough capitalists to reject capitalism and work for the common good? Any business that works for the common good and not the individual welfare of the business will quickly be out of business.

Most people pay lip service to the utilitarian ethic: the greatest good for the greatest number, but when push comes to shove, the ethic becomes: the greatest good for me and the hell with society.

Marx thought the only solution was a violent revolution to overthrow capitalism and produce a classless society where everybody is equal. The problem is that in the two countries that had Marxist revolutions (Russia and China) there certainly wasn't a classless society and a workers' paradise. Orwell lampooned Russia under Stalin in "Animal Farm." "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than other animals."

I like Teddy Roosevelt's solution. Steeply graduated income and inheritance taxes to redistribute the wealth.

Mr. Moyers assumptions are his opinions, not fact.

For example, "... sight of a smoldering Pentagon that had been struck by one of the hijacked planes." Oh, really? Is that why all the videotapes of the rocket were seized?

Another: "Can we at least face the truth? The plutocrats and oligarchs are winning." A bit of an understatement, as he partially admits here: "Mainstream media (including public television and radio), especially the networks and cable channels owned and operated by the conglomerates ..." The central bankers own all the other key corporate assets, as well all three branches of the federal and state governments, as well as NATO, Saudi Arabia, Israel, and more, as well as the military and and intelligence organizations, the polling organizations, the voting machines.

Mr. Moyers parable (with capitalized additions by me: "Gabriel Byrne plays an accidental prime minister – thrust into office by the death of the incumbent, only to discover himself facing something he never imagined: a shadowy (CENTRALLY COORDINATED) coalition of forces, some within his own government, working against him. With some (MOST, IF NOT ALL) of his own ministers secretly in the service of powerful corporations and (CENTRAL) bankers, his own party (AN ILLUSION. BOTH PARTIES ARE CONTROLLED BY THE SAME POWERS) falling away from him, press lords daily maligning him, the (PSEUDO) opposition emboldened, and a public confused by misinformation, deceit, and vicious political rhetoric, the prime minister is told by Parliament (ACTUALLY, BY HIGHER POWERS) to immediately invade Iran (on unproven, even false premises) or resign (OR MEET AN UGLY END)."

Yes, we can change this, but here is the challenge: the power is derived by control over money creation. Right now, for the cartel it is in the hands of a few families. Other nations are trying to replace this privately owned system. The original 13 colonies, the Continental Congress, and President Lincoln all printed sovereign money. The private banks eventually put an end to this, with the Bank of North Dakota being the only public bank in the U.S., which is why North Dakota was the only state unaffected by the 2008 (with the lowest unemployment, no bank failures, and the only state budget surplus). The oil boom, which began in 2008, had nothing to do with this.

If we're going to stop the Plutocrats, we must first understand what they are doing. http://coloradopublicbanking.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-view-from-top-of-power-pyramid.html

Mark Twain called congress a criminal enterprise way back when? I think this needs to be raised over and over until it sinks in. How can a congress person vote on banking legislation and then take money from the banks-its called a bribe-its called being bought-it is a crime. If the people running this place are all criminals why follow any of the laws?

How about starting with the Constitution? It defines how elections are run and how government should work. If it has been possible for plutocrats to grab power by interpreting the law of the land in their favor, is it not time to re-write the document in terms that are clear and unambiguous?