Home | About | Donate

The Politics of the NCAA Sweet Sixteen

The Politics of the NCAA Sweet Sixteen

David Morris

When television cameras zoomed in on Kansas Governor Sam Brownback in the middle of the Kansas-Wichita State NCAA basketball game a thunderous chorus of boos broke out. Viewers gained a rare glimpse of the politics behind March Madness. The announcers pointedly ignored the boos.

Large circus

Little bread

The announcers pointedly ignored the boos.

This is a fairly interesting article. However, I hope that Mr. Morris is not complaining about the journalistic tendencies of sports announcers; they are trained to ignore reality.

Does anyone remember Chris Schenkel at the 1972 Olympics?

mcp

As a Kansan, it is hard to overstate how much damage Brownback's policies have done and will be doing to education in KS. And while the connection between college sports and education isn't so direct, the connections are there. It is weird to me that people who get professional degrees can also be so manic about "their team" but they are.

My son applied to a Kansas university to a Phd program and they still haven't gotten back to him. (he's been accepted to somewhere quite nice, so no tears, but....) The word is that the department that he was applying to has found their funding too tenuous to get back to their applicants yet. This is a recipe for brain drain. How long will professors stick around to watch their programs of research be decimated?

Within the state, we call ourselves the lab for right wing policies. Unfortunately, there was no IRB and we didn't get a chance to opt out of the research. And the harms are rolling out and they are just getting started.

Believe it or not, Salt Lake City, home of the U of Utah Utes, is also a BLUE city (though in a very red state).