Home | About | Donate

The Primary Contradiction: Corporate Power vs. Progressive Populism

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/29/primary-contradiction-corporate-power-vs-progressive-populism

1 Like

Maybe something else to consider Norm, isn’t that Wall Street is quaking in
in boots, but that the black boots of it’s friends in the CIA and deep state may
have a plan B.

5 Likes

I don’t see Sanders surging in the polls outside of the Monmouth outlier. Possibly, he’s maxed out at 15%.

Warren is Wall St’s fallback darling these days – talking a progressive game in front of the nobodies, walking a status quo line like a puppet in front of the corporate money.

Meanwhile, Uncle Joe ByeDone is kept safely away from the microphones, momentarily preserving the impression that absence is gravitas, and no thoughts equals big thoughts.

5 Likes

Bernie’s foreign policy buys into the standard narrative, with an occasional tweak here and there. His buying into the Russiagate nonsense is embarrassing, and his position on Venezuela is shameful. Matters of war and peace are important to me and Bernie is raising a lot of red flags in this regard. Having said this, take Bernie out of the race, and what is left–a political black hole, nothingness.

8 Likes

Please expand on that. I don’t get it. (Possibly because I’m humor-impaired, a sad condition for a humorist. Like someone born blind with an ambition to paint – not unheard of, just challenging.)

1 Like

Exactly where I am, at this point. I’ll vote for Bernie if I have to. That’s about as much slack as I can grant the electoral charade this time. Push me any farther, and I don’t give a shit.

7 Likes

I believe Sanders is in a good position at this time. Biden at this point has nowhere to go but down. It looks like, again I stress “at this point in time” that it’s gonna be Sanders & Warren at least into the early primaries. Now my pick is Sanders, but I will ACCEPT and vote for Warren if she gets the nom. Having said that, this comes from a guy that in 2012 & 2016 voted for Jill Stein, although I live in Ar (a really Republican State). My belief is that if Trump continues his REALLY crazy decline, that pretty much any Dem will beat him in a blowout. I just hope it ain’t Biden, or we’ll be in the same situation that we were (status quo) as BEFORE Trump.

2 Likes

Of course US political Parties will promote the interests of corporations over people. US political Parties are, themselves, private corporations which are under no obligation to employ a democratic Party nomination process.

As DNC attorney Bruce Spiva stated, In *Wilding, et. al. v. DNC Services, d/b/a DNC, et al:

“. . . we could have voluntarily decided that, Look, we’re gonna go into back rooms like they used to and smoke cigars and pick the candidate that way. That’s not the way it was done. But they could have. And that would have also been their right, . . .”
Source: http://jampac.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/042517cw2.pdf

My sense is that the DNC, will select Biden. If Biden makes his nomination impossible, I imagine that they will select Buttigieg or, reluctantly, Harris. If Warren and Sanders continue to be in the lead, I imagine we’ll see more calls for Michelle or Oprah to run.

This is as good a place as any to address the disconnect in the polls we’ve been seeing between what the polls tell us voters apparently want and what the polls tell us which candidate voters apparently want. The polls tell us that a majority of Democratic or Democratic leaning independents want Medicare for all, that climate change is a big concern, as is inequality and a fair tax system and so much more, yet the polls continue to tell us that the very candidate least likely to deliver on any of those issues, namely, No Change - Status Quo Joe Biden, continues to lead in the polls, even by double digits at times, over Warren and Sanders. You don’t have to be a math wizard to see that something doesn’t add up, here.

4 Likes

I see relatability as a problem for Bernie. He comes off as a grumpy old man.
Then there’s the drumbeat of “his goals are unrealistic” and “incrementalism is all we can hope for.”
And Warren has grabbed the “progressive” limelight to a large extent.

More than anything, the d-party is conservative. Bernie’s natural base is barely in that tent. It’s not his style, but I’d advise Bernie to start going on the offensive against particular candidates – to broadcast the fire in his belly in a “boldly speaking truth to power” kinda way.

1 Like

Actually, what d-party voters want most is to beat Trump. All other considerations fall by the wayside.

And that sad refrain about voting for the candidate they’d like to have a beer with – well, that’s how dumb people are. I spent ten minutes reading ByeDone’s twitter thread following the release of his sob story “improve ObamaCare” ad yesterday: His supporters are so uninformed and willing to accept corporate-approved crumbs, it was painful. Lots of pushback though, so that was a relief.

1 Like

You guys have to realize that if, by some miracle or accident, Warren or Sanders actually pulls out a win in 2020, it will be a repeat of the Obama presidency, right?

There will be no meaningful reforms, no rollback of any Trumpublican horribleness, just a lot of bull$!t hopey-changey rainbow identity politics lingo to try to paint over totalitarianism in the colors of diversity.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon & Wall Street will continue to run wild.

How do I know this?

Hint: Sanders & Warren are both running as Democrats, and that is the most we can ever expect of a Democrat.

2 Likes

I disagree.

Warren is passing Sanders in most recent polls – a more comfortable fit for older white folks.
The d-party is an establishment oriented party – not particularly Bernie-ready.
Trump’s same electoral college strategy can win again.
ByeDone or Warren will get toasted, chewed up and spit out by Trump.

But I don’t vote D, so whatever.

2 Likes

Warren just might be plan B

Twitter sleuths uncover an anti-Sanders conspiracy — and the pundit class is furious

A stray tweet from an MSNBC journo epitomized how elite pundits informally coordinate their anti-Sanders rhetoric

Bernie Sanders supporters are not paranoid to suspect that there is a conspiracy to prevent him from getting the presidential nomination. Indeed, given the existential threat that his politics pose for the rich and powerful, the Democratic Party elite and their wealthy donors seem downright terrified of his redistributive policy platform. Hence, many large media outlets and the elite pundit class have, often subtly, allied themselves against him.

5 Likes

I agree that the people or planet aren’t going to get much relief under any Dem. The upside is that if a Dem does overthrow Trump, the peeps disappointment this time at the status quo could lead to a real revolution. With citizens in the streets in numbers that can actually move the needle.

Sadly in some ways, Warren probably is Plan B, though I do not mean to present that as though she were to make jackboots ubiquitous.

Yes, there are reasons to imagine that Liz Warren is authentically not friendly to certain sorts of banking institutions in the sense that she wants them regulated along Keynesian sorts of lines, with executive plunder likely reduced to pre-astronomical levels. Her conception of that is exceptionally well articulated, and was so at least from 2008.

But she has nothing of the same fire as relates to other functions of empire. She appears to have nothing against the MIC,. nothing against the hydrocarbon industry, nothing against the nuclear industry–so on and so forth.

She is in at least most and probably in all regards a domesticated quantity. She immediately retracted her observation that the Clinton camp had rigged the '16 nomination, as obvious as it was. At whose instructions, one has to ask.

Warren is essentially that educated Republican friend of yours except that she actually got an education in economics and took it seriously. On the ground floor, Mises and Friedman offer no real challenge to Keynes’ analysis of the operations of capital in his General Theory. They only advocate different manipulations so that the money stays in or returns to different hands.

Unfortunately, if the Sanders surge cannot otherwise be controlled by vote-rigging, ongoing propaganda, manipulation and fiat, there remains a deal with Warren that would allow business as usual. As president, Warren could fail to pass banking reforms (which, of course, would require congressional support) and she could again pass Romneycare under a third name.

4 Likes

I think you’re both right at this point and things are fluid. One thing to bear in mind that will shake up the race: “NBC News reported that there will be a total of 12 debates during the Democratic primary season, and that the June debate was the first of six scheduled for 2019.”

For someone who doesn’t vote D you sure have a lot to say about their business. Did you grow up on a party line being encouraged to pick up the phone when you know it’s not your ring?
Just askin’.

Is that you’re way of saying you think I shouldn’t comment on political parties?

Because this is my way of saying I don’t a shit about what you think in that regard.

2 Likes