Home | About | Donate

The Problem With the Blue Angels

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/14/problem-blue-angels

3 Likes

When he was 12, my son did a Blue Angels related activity at a museum of science. A few weeks later, he started getting recruiting messages encouraging him to join the military. Apparently, the activity included having the kids submit telephone numbers and emails. I later found out the my kids middle and high schools also have a practice of sharing student info with military recruiters.

5 Likes

These pro-war propaganda and recruitment extravaganzas should be denounced and resisted by local people in every community. Props to Code Pink for their public actions in SF.

The preposterous costs and waste of fossil fuels, the traumatization of persons including military veterans with PTSD, the blatant war-mongering and intimidation, it is all so perfectly emblematic of the out-of-control monster that is the USA today.

They need to be SHUT DOWN. And then move on to the rest of the military-industrial-political-propaganda complex.

5 Likes

Blue Angels are recruitment tools. Recruitment for what? When since WWII have we either “won” a war or fought for purely defensive (vs imperial) reasons (and yes, WWII also contained some of that) ? After we disband the Blue Angels, we need to go after ROTC in high schools. Warmongers should not get favored access to impressionable young people–not to mention impressionable old morons.

4 Likes

We used to have massive protest marches down Market Street in San Francisco. Since 2008 I don’t think there have been hardly any. This city is not always what it appears to be.

1 Like

Corporate media and the military have always worked together because of $$$.

Media are the main propaganda arm of the U.S. Corporate-Military Empire, including news media, movies, and TV shows. They are all part of the War Racket exposed in 1935 by Major-General Smedley D. Butler.

War and militarism are much too lucrative to be stopped when the political-economic system is based on greed and selfishness.

2 Likes

Speaking of recruitment “events”, the first gulf War was one, after a fashion. I was working with a bunch of young guys at a brokerage firm, who were all crowing about joining up, but as pilots or submariners. A bit of research indicated that a small percentage of volunteers can get into such vaunted parts of the service, but only after years of training and grunt work. Volunteers to the military very rarely get such big “walk on” roles. Even college graduates start as ensigns or lieutenants, and must qualify for the “cooler” jobs. The guys actually never intended to join up.

Simple: GROUND 'EM!
Right…fat chance.

1 Like

For what its worth…warfare waged by “unilateral coercive measures” are illegal under international law. - conversations about the anti-war movement

1 Like

Taxpayer-funded, risk of accident jeopardizes those on the ground, ear-splitting noise. Sounds about right in war-loving America.

But imagine the distress if Apple (or some other tax-evading mega-corporation) announced the postponement of an upgrade.

3 Likes

It’s actually a great event if you appreciate incredible skill and aerobatics demonstrated theBlue Angel pilots. It doesn’t surprise me that the majority of the comments posted here are anti Blue Angels. It seems to me that a majority of the people in the Bay Area prefer to focus on the negative aspects of life then the positive. It;s just a fun event. Who does it hurt? Seriously!

6 Likes

This, coming from the “sanctuary city” where people can camp out anywhere they want, shoot up just about anywhere they want, and take a shit anywhere they want. Oh, and I forgot, harbor illegal immigrants to do whatever they want too. Ya’ll have your priorities a little backward if you are going to bitch about some jets. Kids in the classroom get scared only because they are told to. If you embrace the sound, as a sound of freedom, they would cheer…not cry. It is painfully obvious that no one who wrote that article has ever been deployed either. If they had, they would know that you WANT to hear that sound everyday, since it represents freedom in all shapes and forms.

5 Likes

“Who does it hurt?” You ask…

How about you read the clucking article dimwit…

1 Like

CD moderators: we have been experiencing an large influx of newly joined trolls and bots posting. They do not engage in legitimate discussion - merely attack and leave or try take over a legit discussion of differing opinions. This poisons discourse on the site and makes me want to leave. Your reporting mechanism only allows a few reports a day so I am not sure even if we all report trolls/bots that you are getting the full picture. Please think about doing something to remedy this. Thanks.

The glorification of the US military represents the ideology/mythology of American Exceptionalism. When standing in awe of this military hardware, just imagine what it would be like for them to be straifing your town - because that is how most people experience them. These are tools of violence, of empire.

2 Likes

Merf, I read the article and it is pathetic. Perhaps I didn’t articulate it as well as Elena Dale who said:

This, coming from the “sanctuary city” where people can camp out anywhere they want, shoot up just about anywhere they want, and take a shit anywhere they want. Oh, and I forgot, harbor illegal immigrants to do whatever they want too. Ya’ll have your priorities a little backward if you are going to bitch about some jets. Kids in the classroom get scared only because they are told to. If you embrace the sound, as a sound of freedom, they would cheer…not cry. It is painfully obvious that no one who wrote that article has ever been deployed either. If they had, they would know that you WANT to hear that sound everyday, since it represents freedom in all shapes and forms.

But, thank you for you kind and well thought out response. Clearly, you have nothing better to than worry about issues and complain with no solutions. I am sorry you are so miserable.

4 Likes

This article and most of the comments are why we should allow California to succeed from the union. Let them disband their military and police force and see how long they last. What a bunch of idiot.

2 Likes

Weapons of war are SUPPOSED to be intimidating. If they are supposed to expand our empire, they’re doing a crap job. We haven’t expanded the US since pre-WWII

What they DON’T mention in this article is that, if the Blue Angels weren’t flying demonstrations, they’d STILL spend the $35.5 million a year in training. The flights aren’t used to “indoctrinate”, but to help reporters and others understand the job of a military aviator. No one seems to have a problem with commercial jets landing all over the place in the bay area (and routinely flying over populated areas…and with more crashes!), but an airshow largely over the water is supposed to be a danger?

Speaking from the position of a veteran aviator, we are the LAST people who want war. Some of my friends will most likely die in a conflict. Others will suffer horrendous wounds requiring a lifetime of care and/or be mentally scarred for life. I know what the cost is, so don’t lecture me. We aren’t warmongers. We don’t want war. We want to be so prepared for war that no force would dare challenge us.

We can disagree about the wars we’ve been involved in, but that’s a separate issue.

Overall, this is nothing but whining. Give me a break.

2 Likes