Home | About | Donate

The Psychology of the Wall

The Psychology of the Wall

John Feffer

Geopolitics, like thermodynamics, has its laws of conservation. If a wall comes down in one place, you can bet that it will go up somewhere else.

It wasn’t long after the Berlin Wall fell that different kinds of walls went up in Eastern Europe. New borders separated the Czech Republic from Slovakia, and then, after much bloodshed, the new successor states of former Yugoslavia.

1 Like

Macbeth:
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

[Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28]

2 Likes

So true the US needs leaders. At one time leaders were statesmen instead of criminal carnival shills.

2 Likes

‘The Brexit vote was basically an effort to build a big wall across the English Channel to separate the United Kingdom from Europe. Keeping out immigrants was a major motivating factor.’

I call Bullshit. Loudly.

Probably some anti-immigrant sentiment was involved, probably some bigotry…it’s always there, in some amounts.

But the statement on the whole is a gross & misleading oversimplification. The EU is a fundamentally anti-democratic institution, which has shoved austerity and neoliberal economics down the throats of workers across Europe & the UK.

It might be making the rich richer, but it is also making life harder & more desperate for workers. There are thousands of good reasons to hate the EU that exclude bigotry.

This is my major beef with so-called ‘liberals.’ They have guzzled so much Democratic Party phony diversity and identity politics that they have become easily co-opted by Robber Barons into supporting the most predacious form of capitalism, so long as it wraps itself in a rainbow flag.

This is why liberals have become such a dangerous faction. They are easily manipulated into the wrong positions, perhaps even more easily manipulated than ‘conservatives.’

Amen sBrownn. That’s been one of my long standing pet peeves along with bitching about greed. How the open and flagrant lawlessness came to be is bewildering. I guess we stupidly are letting it happen in real time.