Home | About | Donate

The Public Health Impact of Domestic Violence

The Public Health Impact of Domestic Violence

César Chelala

Intimate partner violence is the most common kind of violence experienced by women worldwide, both in developing and in industrialized countries. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, 35% of all women will experience either intimate partner or non-partner violence. In Russia, more than 14,000 women are killed every year in acts of domestic violence. And in China, according to a national survey, one-third of the country’s 270 million households cope with domestic violence. Domestic violence is also rife in most African countries.

We should stop importing uncivilized people who perpetuate those violent kinds of activities such as:
Murder Rate for Hispanics Is Twice the Murder Rate for Whites
47% of ALL gang members are HISPANIC the rest are ALL the other nationalities in the WORLD.
Latinos accounted for 40% of all sentenced federal offenders (Illegal Immigration is NOT a federal offense) PEW Hispanic.

Hispanics, including both men and women, are twice as likely to see domestic violence. (Latin Times)

It is totally refreshing to see a male stand up and speak out about this issue. And while this important article makes reference to many significant facts, it leaves out three that certainly require mentioning:

1. There is enormous violence aimed at women in Mexico and Central America. Along the U.S. border in the factory towns, several thousand women have been murdered and the Mexican govt. has done nothing to address this matter.

2. Worldwide traffic in sexual slaves: Many women are taken against their wills, promised jobs that turn out to be imprisonment in disgusting brothels; and then there is the psychological coping device in post-war societies. In order to feed their families, with infrastructure ruined and jobs scarce, some women are forced to turn to prostitution.

3. Genital mutilation: Probably the most ghastly of social controls, this primitive "operation" removes a woman's clitoris so that she won't experience sexual pleasure. The idea is that women are only supposed to perform sex to please or obey a male partner; and that the entire fabric of patriarchy--based on a male patriarch owning and controlling women--would fall apart if women had the liberating firsthand knowledge of the pleasure their bodies were capable of experiencing.

I had a running debate with what appeared to be 5-7 male posters (they could, of course, amount to 1-3 using multiple screen names as that is indeed a protocol used on this site's message boards) who insisted that "most men weren't violent."

They tossed the "bad apple" theory at me. I lost respect for these individuals.

Instead of opening their souls to take in what all this violence (worldwide AND within the U.S.) means to women, they passed it off as the work of a few.

It is NOT the work of a few when entire cultures look the other way when girls are trafficked into sex slavery, when women's genitals are mutilated, when girls are kept from having an education; and in the modern suburban world, when women beaten up by their husbands and family members pretend that nothing is going on. And how about the thousands of rape kits that sit in police stations untested?

I have been researching this matter and there is always a tendency for media to focus on one minute piece of the puzzle. For instance, one may hear about the violence in video games that many adolescent boys strongly identify with. Or they may hear about domestic violence within the U.S. while another article might speak of "Honor Crimes" in the Arab world, or dowry murder in India.

What is almost never seen is a collection of this preponderance of misogynistic practices.

The fact that the Catholic church is mute on this; and that this gigantic and influential patriarchal institution STILL seeks to limit women's access to birth control (even now, I suppose, with the sudden onset of the very suspicious Zita virus literally turning babies into mutants) is criminal.

Misogyny is a byproduct of patriarchy. For there to be a hierarchy where males are seen as the HEADS of homes, businesses, churches, academic institutions is to, by extension, assign 2nd hand status to females everywhere. And out of that second class status, all of these expressions of male control, abuse, degradation, and often death... occur.

That is why I stress the FACT that the first step to healing our ailing planet is getting it back into balance and that calls for equal reverence for both Yin and Yang. TOGETHER, they make life. It is not just the work of some father sky god. THAT is the great lie!

I grew up in a household where rules number 1 was "Never hit a woman/girl" That was engrained in us. We could fight and wrassle with our brothers but the girls were off limits.

My dad liked his drink and especially since he would work up in the high North for much of the winter where he lived in a camp where it not allowed and on his return would tie one on and an inevitable argument would start with my mom, but he never hit her ever. Indeed as children growing up he would rarely spank the kids and if he did it was just a few open hands across the bottom that I never really felt. It was more a "I am disappointed in you" thing than it was intended to inflict pain.

Now he got that rule from his father before him. It IS learned behaviour in spite of the nonsense some advance that it somehow "genetic" or tied to testosterone and the type of behaviour that leads to wife beating and domestic abuse has been being learned for a long long time.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

BUT:
Hispanics, including both men and women, are twice as likely to see domestic violence. Latin Times. com
Why Import twice as much? They aren't changing when they come to the US they are BRINGING IT HERE and perpetuating it!

They have a CULTURE of violence. In the streets, in the schools and in their homes and they refuse to assimilate into a more advanced culture.

I'm with you 100%. Your description of the problem is spot on. One thing about it that particularly upsets me is the complete silence of psychology texts on the subject of misogyny. They may discuss it as a disorder of individuals, but never touch the fact that it is universal and so pervasive that even so-called pro-feminist men will make sneering, sometimes vicious, remarks about women and then pass it off as a "joke". The common remark that "all men are not like that" also riles me considerably; it is the men who are "not like that" who make misogyny possible by maintaining their blind-deaf and-dumb stance with regard to it. I almost think these guys are more to blame than the beaters, shooters, and rapists we read about in the papers.

I agree. I grew up much the same way, and identify with the whole "disappointed in you" thing. :slightly_smiling: it is learned behavior. I recomend "Why does he do that? " as a good book on abusive men.

Well, I'm glad to see this important article. Some men seem to thing that to be a "man" you must subjugate women. Culture has a lot to do with it, as well as family.

For my part, I have taught free self defense classes to thousands of women for the past 25 years, have worked with Safe Campus's Now, and have supported our local battered women's shelter. I asked my old college fraternity to make the shelters their main charity and they have.

I say this just to point out that everyone can do something to try to help, and to change attitudes. Peace.

Thank you.

There are a lot of "flavors" of misogyny.

The political favorite seems to be making gender irrelevant, or otherwise dismissing the very real concerns of women as "mere identity politics." This indictment goes further in blaming women (Feminists, usually, who speak for women's rights) for being divisive towards the supposed all-inclusive egalitarian state of "solidarity."

I was doing research on serial killers and looking for astrological common denominators since that is my field of expertise. I listened to quite a few documentaries and these revealed two things:

First, as you may already know, the criminal justice system is quite hostile to women. How many rape kits were never tested allowing serial rapists to destroy more women's lives? How often is the "he said/she said" narrative taken as an equivalence when it is the FEMALE on the receiving end of violence? And then there's always that "sexual history of the victim" form of blaming the victim, or the casual disregard many cops show for domestic disturbances with Nicole Simpson's fate indicative of how that works.

The second item is related to a fundamental misogyny in the field of psychology (as well as psychiatry). Let's remember, Freud was given celebrity status for determining that women suffered neuroses due to a missing penis. This "neurosis" in his view had nothing to do with the very real inhibitions to women's full adult status and sovereignty within their societies.

So the serial killer research led to this arrogant shrink who was determined to prove that women were just as violent as men. The statistical evidence runs 90% of serial killers are male and obviously rapists are males... but this moron wanted to force-fit the 9: 1 ratio of males to women (serial killers) into a category of relative equivalence.

I'll never forget how angry I got reading, "I'm Dancing As Fast As I can," where the author, choosing to take anti-depressants for a time decided to go off them. The shrink (and isn't this attitude just SO male) resented her making this decision for herself, so he didn't bother to explain that quick withdrawal could lead to a psychotic breakdown.

Or take the brilliant treatise done by Susan Faludi, "BackLash." What I found most instructive about that book was the fact that the panel of psychologists (or was it psychiatrists... it's been a while since I've read this volume) used to determine the LEGAL definition for insanity in courts of law had not a single female member on it.

And we all know how men call women crazy because women (and there are astrological reasons for this) are given to a variety of cyclic mood changes that make them far less robotic and predictable than many men.

I just rewrote a movie script and there's a scene in it where a group of women are camping on an offshore (Florida) island. One gets up to pee and notices that a pontoon boat full of macho male wanabe warriors just pulled up to that island. The women are unarmed.

(I should say the reason they are out there is to lose weight.)

They decide their best defense is a surprise offense... so they paint their faces and go topless and run AT the men. The men are terrified.

Honestly, I think that WOULD be the outcome. I think men are terrified of powerful women and the whole reason there's such a taboo around virginity and taken to the extremes... genital mutilation is that males, in their arrogance, don't want women to have any variety of sexual partners from which to make comparisons!

The control of woman is the central crux of patriarchy starting with religions that for centuries, demonized women and burned them. THAT is indicative of a religion?

The conduct of patriarchal institutions towards women has been diabolical.

There is so much to answer for.

But the need to face that moral reckoning is pushed aside through projecting onto woman, all the sins of man.

I see the same thing here in the Deep South with the retaining of racism. The progeny of the old Confederate army and slaveholders can't face their own inhumanity... so they constantly attribute all kinds of inhuman attributes to Blacks.

Truth and Reconciliation. What a concept! It's also sacrosanct to Aquarius, the AGE/Sign that is destined to rise into dominion. These cycles last 2200 years so Age Phase Transitions don't manifest overnight.

This shift has begun.

Stop importing uncivilized people? Domestic violence occurs in every country, with every race, in every culture, and every color. The problem is men, and religion, and media, all controlled by men.

I agree with Cookies. I, as a Caucasian female,was horrifically abused by Caucasian men. End of story.