Home | About | Donate

The Puritanical Glee Over the Ashley Madison Hack

The Puritanical Glee Over the Ashley Madison Hack

Glenn Greenwald

High school students have long read The Scarlet Letter, the 1850 novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne set in a Puritanical Massachusetts town in the mid-17th Century. It chronicles the life of a woman who is found to have committed adultery (on her long-presumed-lost-at-sea husband); as punishment, she is forced to stand before her village with the letter “A” attached to her dress. The intent is to forever publicly shame her for her moral transgression.

Yah, call me evil. I did take notice of one of her customers.

Josh Duggar, his profile is very creepy.

the panopticon is being built, this is another example of our loss of privacy

In the words of big brother, "only the guilty have something to hide".

The Ashley Madison Service provides an obvious product for which there is great demand ! Other peoples morals are their business, not mine. My only problem with the whole internet sex site debacle, is that I'm not actively engaged in the process......

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Who or what is "Ashley Madison"? No answer needed; I'll look it up.

Only a man could come up with such garbage. Is it puritanical to expect honesty? Glen is grasping at straws here. In the end we are all revealed as corporate shills.

The exposure of corrupt hypocrites is jounalism's first duty.

Really?!?!?

So men are dishonest but women aren't?

So men "cheat" but women do not?

It takes two to tango.

"And can you imagine 37 million people a day? I said 37 MILLION people a day . . .
Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Ashley Madison" and walkin' out? Friends,
They may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ASHLEY MADISON ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to
Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.And can you imagine 37 million people a day? I said 37 MILLION people a day . . .
Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Ashley Madison" and walkin' out? Friends,
They may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ASHLEY MADISON ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to
Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar."
(apologies Arlo)

You really should stop being a corporate shill since now you have revealed yourself to be one.

I don't even think I got what this article was really about. I was waiting for the story to start when it stopped! Glenn must be short of material...

The Ashley Madison Defense Fund is up and running, and people should be generous in their contributions both of loot and information proving that the millions of participants never had actual sex with anybody other than their wives and husbands, with that occurring over twenty years ago.

The people who signed with Ashley just wanted to pretend, to try their hand at written flirtation, with the idea in hand of subsequently having a try at writing romance fiction.

The lawyers in each case generated by the Madison hack will want to produce the actual figures demonstrating the infrequency of actual sex between the school principals at either end of any virtual liaison produced at that or any website.

Accepted. But did Squawheadmaidenhead and I or Theosophila and Garden Variety Nordical have actual sex after respective exchanges in this website? MOST ASSUREDLY NOT.