Home | About | Donate

'The Real Looting in America is the Walton Family': GAO Report Details How Taxpayers Subsidize Cruel Low Wages of Corporate Giants

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/19/real-looting-america-walton-family-gao-report-details-how-taxpayers-subsidize-cruel

10 Likes

While it is wonderful (and a surprise to over 90% of Americans) that “The United States is NOT a Democracy” — the far more serious point is that America is only the nominal HQ of, and merely ‘posing’ as the country (PKA) America — and what the U.S. actually is is nothing short of an EMPIRE. [Which is unfortunately not mentioned here on CD, nor PR, nor often mentioned even on The Intercept].

So, for the purpose of learning and understanding how our supposed country is actually an EMPIRE, I have sent this short lesson to Bernie Sanders’ “Our Revolution”, C-Span, Green Party GPUS, PBS, etc., etc., et. al.:

Bernie, I took and responded to your “Our Revolution” survey, contributed a very small amount of money — but now I would like to give you and “Our Revolution” my much more valuable ’Strategic Advantage” and a bit longer advice — if you actually want today’s “Our Revolution” to have the courage of going beyond your first, mild, and a bit vague advice of the two-word, sound-bite campaign slogan in your 2016 campaign of “Political Revolution” — which needs at least to expand to my first 2015 demonstration signs of “Peaceful Political Revolution Against EMPIRE”;

Poster 6 17.pdf

Bernie, I was amazed, shocked, and curious as to who (and what agency of this God Damned Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE) censored out of today’s “Democracy Now” Free Speech TV program, while Kumi Naidoo (former head of Amnesty International) was accurately describing the ‘fixed’, nearly dictatorial, and non-democratic pseudo-voting system that so clearly privileges the: ‘Ruling-Elite’, UHNWIs, <0.003%ers, TCCers, self-appointed “Masters of the Universe”, and “Evil Geniuses” [Kurt Andersen] to decide whether they prefer the Red Team or the Blue Team to be their compliant dual-party Vichy-facade of faux-democracy for the next four year seasons in the White House?

I had just completed sending the following emails to C-SPAN, Green Party US, PBS, and several seriously progressive web-sites:

What we need now in terms of ‘brave Revolutionary service’ is for “Our Revolution" to focus ’strategically’ on the “Strategic Advantage” [Michael Porter HBS] on leveling with the American people that both these dual-party Vichy-facades of faux-democracy are simply covering-up and allowing the Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE to have a continuing wide-open path to mega-looting of the vast majority of poor, working-poor, lower income, lower middle-class, and even fully Middle Class ‘subjects’ of American people — by employing the deceit of dumping ’negative externality costs’ on us in order to quietly scheme and “Accumulate by dispossession” — which is the primary mechanism to loot the masses of our fellow deluded, propagandized and infantilized American people.

Dumping ’negative externality costs’ on we the ‘others’ is the primary evil Empire’s high-powered looting-engine which pumps all profits to the deceitful looting; ‘Ruling-Elite’, UHNWIs, <0.003%ers, TCCers, self-appointed “Masters of the Universe”, and “Evil Geniuses” [Kurt Andersen] to decide whether they prefer the Red Team or the Blue Team to be their compliant dual-party Vichy-facade of faux-democracy for the next four year seasons in the White House.

Of course, by any sane and truthful economic analysis, the Empire’s looted 'negative externality cost’ dumping and pumping engine is the devilish mechanism that creates the vast and still fast-growing cancer of massive inequality of income (and more deadly) wealth inequality — which when measured by the standard measure of honest and academic economists is charted on the GINI Coefficient of Income (or Wealth) INEQUALITY.

By today’s obscene measure of the GINI Coefficient of Inequality the US GINI Coefficient of Income Inequality is over .45 and the even worse GINI Coefficient of Wealth Inequality is the highest/worst in the WORLD at over .80. This GINI Coefficient standard uses a very simple measurement scale of the GINI of 0 (zero) means that income or wealth is evenly and perfectly distributed so that every citizen has the same Income or Wealth — and similarly, a GINI of 1.0 means that one single insanely rich person has all the Income or all the Wealth in a given country or in the entire world.

So, reviewing — the dumping of 'negative externality costs’ on “others” makes a massive amount of profits for those running the insane pumping and dumping engine, but like any massively powerful profit-spewing dirty engine, it must be muffled and keep running silently so that the average people being fooled and looted don’t hear that illegal pumping and dumping of all the profits to the very very few at the top of the scam.

Secondly, it must be understood that the results of this ’negative externality cost’ dumping engine accrue to the highest levels of income and illegal profits being pumped to the UHNWI (Ultra High Net Worth Individuals) which can be measured on the GINI Coefficient scale from 0 (where we all get a fair and even share) to 1.0 (where all income and all wealth goes only to the super-rich.

As an example, with respect to the U.S. high/bad GINI Coefficient of Income Inequality, ‘our’ own CIA’s country case book warns that any country with a GINI Coefficient of Income above .45 is typically subject to “civil unrest” and/or revolution. And with respect to the GINI Coefficient of Wealth Inequality, ‘our’ (supposed) country PKA (America) has the highest /worst GINI Coefficient of accumulated WEALTH INEQUALITY in the whole world — higher than even Robert Mugaby’s shit-hole plutocracy of Zimbabwe.

Thirdly, and in summary, the only form of government (or actually the exact polar-opposite of anything worth being called a government) is best defining by the only word in the world which has, for more than 3 1/2 millennia, been described over all of human history as one and only one thing: EMPIRE.

This is why my latest and simple to understand protest, march, and demonstration double-sided signs ring-out the Revolutionary Truth of this compelling message that all of ‘we the people of America’ should be able to understand at least as well as our; fore-fathers, founders, framers, farmers, sailors, tradespeople, and patriots who initially tried to rationally and peaceful draw up a list of reasons that the “Occupying”, looting, oppressing, taxing, tyrannizing, and violent British EMPIRE had been doing by 1775 — and when that EMPIRE answered by firing on we ’subjects’ of that EMPIRE in Boston, on Lexington green, and on “that rude bridge” in Concord, we Americans had to ignite our first “Revolution Against Empire”.

Now, 245 years later, Bernie, ‘we the American people’ who are under the boot of this Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE can now fire a; loud, public, sustained, ‘in the streets’, but totally Non-violent “Shout (not shot) heard round the world” to ignite an essential Second American people’s peaceful “Political, economic, social(ist), cultural, and racial Revolution Against Empire” — under the banner of new signs of “Revolution Against Empire” [Justin du Rivage’s definitive 2014 history of our first Revolution]:

Bernie, I am very disappointed that many of the leading principled progressive and hopefully serious Anti-Empire organizations which have a far louder megaphone than I have, but which not yet felt the enormous ’seriousness of purpose’ to use their media powers to ‘expose’, expunge, and if necessary in this camouflaged Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE, to non-violently ‘excise’ these obviously metastasizing cancerous tumors of EMPIRE which are even NOW eating away and killing any of our last organs of our fleeting and weakened dual-party facade of democracy in our diseased ‘body politic’.

As all the American founders knew very well from their deep reading of Roman history: “The disease of Republics is EMPIRE” — which Ben Franklin alluded to as he exited Philadelphia when asked by an older lady —“What do we have? — and he replied “A (democratic) Republic, if we can keep it!”

Of particular surprise and sorrow is that the ‘less than heroic and merely moderate’ New York “Times” is consistently allowing me to post comments about this damn Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE which are more seriously radical, a more principled ‘movement’, and more “Revolutionary" than supposedly progressive web-sites, and other forms of televised media.

Sincerely, Bernie and with

Liberty, democracy, equality, and justice
Over
Violent (dual-party Vichy)
Empire,

Alan MacDonald
Wells Maine

10 Likes

Corporate welfare fraud is rampant.
Tens of billions of tax dollars and other subsidies are handed to the worst corporations, especially the military-industrial corporations.
Corporations get away with crime as a built-in feature of our system.
But if a peasant shoplifts, commits welfare fraud, or otherwise breaks the rules to survive, they are the ones who get put in prison.

33 Likes

But if the corporate Giants paid their employees a living wage, that would mean those corporate profits not going to stockholders on Wall street.

14 Likes

It’s telling, that Sanders, not Biden nor Harris, is once again taking the lead here.

The real looting inn Amerika is by the Walton Family, by Wall St, and especially by the MIC.

And that looting is enabled by their bipartisan servants in the War Party, both Republican and Democrat.

28 Likes

Ah, finally we may be coming to terms with the fact that this is a country founded upon Imperialism as Chomsky says, that is looting and pillaging. Just ask Native Americans. And it’s not just the looting and pillaging of people. It’s the looting and pillaging of this living planet. Capitalism is a false promise, a lie, and it’s unsustainable.The USPS outlaws chain letters. Ponzi schemes are outlawed, too. And if we take a look at the effects of this trickle down economic system called capitalism (~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&t=27s), then shouldn’t it be outlawed, too?

Nah, instead we keep stringing the American Dream along hoping something changes. We keep throwing band-aids at a patient that is bleeding to death who needs a tourniquet.

17 Likes

Capitalism Sucks. Capitalism is sociapathic and is destroying our world, killing our Mother Earth, It is sick and obscene. Unfortunately the few people including myself who understand this are going die right along the all the idiots who think Capitalism’s great and that “Really Really Sucks”.

10 Likes

I have to disagree with Bernie here. A few years a go every Walmart employed elderly and disabled people as ‘Greaters’ for minimum wage. As minimum wage was raised and with the advent of mandated health insurance, all those part time jobs went away. The Greaters never really did anything to contribute to the bottom line (other than maybe good-will), but their paychecks supplemented the community’s needy. As minimum wage increases, companies will look harder at reducing non-essential workers. you cannot just raise the bottom workers pay 5$ with out raising EVERY worker’s pay $5/hour and that will be passed on to the consumer. I know the popular view is that the CEO could take a pay cut, but we all know that isn’t going to happen.

2 Likes

You know what will happen if workers are paid 15 an hour? They will not be eligible for SNAP benefits or Medicaid. You cannot separate low wages from the overall benefit system that may provide rent subsidies, food stamps, and medical benefits to those in need. Poor people I know are always aware that if they make too much, they are going to be screwed.

10 Likes

~https://www.epi.org/publication/bold-increases-in-the-minimum-wage-should-be-evaluated-for-the-benefits-of-raising-low-wage-workers-total-earnings-critics-who-cite-claims-of-job-loss-are-using-a-distorted-frame/#:~:text=CBO%20(2014)%20estimated%20that%20raising,of%20those%20directly%20affected%20workers.

2 Likes

They are screwed anyway. The answer isn’t picking and choosing your misery, it’s healthcare for all, education for all, benefits for all, plus a living wage!

17 Likes

Interesting reading but there is still no proof that increasing wages across the board doesn’t result in inflation that nullifies the increase. In fact isn’t that exactly what has happened since the increase to 7.25? Inflation is not a naturally occurring economic process - it is driven by central banks as a kind of tax on savings to drive people to spend, not save - especially with low or negative interest rates. If one really wants to increase the minimum wage, why not tie it to inflation rather than periodic increases?

I’d add a “maximum wage cap” to that list. There is absolutely no good reason why the CEO of any corporation should be paid $15+ million a year. And get rid of “golden parachute” packages that, more often than not, reward executives like Robert Nardelli for their incompetence.

10 Likes

… and no entertainer, sports figure or actor is worth millions either. Pay is usually commensurate with value added to a particular task. If I’m healthy, a doctor is barely worth minimum wage to me, but if I have brain cancer, a good surgeon’s is invaluable. I don’t know what you do for a living, but I wonder if everyone agrees your job is ‘worth’ what you are paid.

2 Likes

Besides raising wages for all workers and raising the minimum wage, it’s necessary to tax the hell out of the wealthy so that they can’t be making obscene income off the backs of workers. Additionally corporate profits need to be significantly raised. This will force corpses (non human corporations) to plow their profits back into the business and worker pay and benefits instead of CEO pockets.

5 Likes

Big Box stores. That small phrase says it all. They add to the general ugliness of our “post-modern” era and tears apart what’s left of a sense of community. They contribute to the exploitation of other countries-people, resources, environmental damage. Once a store is deemed no longer profitable, it becomes a dark store, suburban and exurb blight, abandoned to the elements without any corporate responsibility to clean up the site.
Towns and cities are now requiring Big Box stores to pay upfront the cost of rehabbing a site once they leave. It’s understood this is a temporary business; that once it’s no longer useful, it’s done.
We all know the sad story of how the mythical American small town and big city bustling downtowns were hollowed out when Big Box stores moved in. One major fact is omitted-white flight to the suburbs started that process back in the 60’s, leading to large shopping malls consuming acres and acres of space. Then people began moving even further out of urban areas, with rings of suburbs morphing into exurbs. Perfect locations for Big Box Stores. Every small rural county seat has its suicide road, lined on both sides with chain businesses for a couple miles.
Lack of community means lack of a will to form unions. So corporations have no incentive, either from government regulation or popular demand, to pay living wages. Then there’s the whole global labor issue…
Complex problem that involves many issues. We say “a living wage” but don’t follow it with other factors such as national single-payer medical insurance(which will help take the pressure off the worry of how to pay for medical help), child and elder care, affordable housing…Allowing the owners of these corporations to live sumptuously while their employees’s wages are being subsidized by the rest of us definitely needs to end. Fast.

12 Likes

Mis-directed and simplistic solution from Sanders. Rather than screaming at the moral obscenity of specific corporations, how about screaming at the criminal obscenity of a congress who has failed to design a system where corporations cannot make unlimited profits without investing back in public needs, or where there is a cap to the executive earnings, or where there are floors to worker’s rights, etc. etc. Screaming at a system that works perfectly as it is designed to work is mostly for show. This is not to downplay Sanders’ role, which is at least the only one left screaming.

9 Likes

Well, Bernie is arguing exactly that as the reason why minimum wage should be $15 an hour.

5 Likes

just wanted to say that it seems to me that a significant number of people - maybe not a majority, but significantly more than before Trump - understand (or are beginning to understand) that “Capitalism sucks.”

Now, if they could just figure out how to actually change the system…

8 Likes

Exactly. It’s time to stop making change piecemeal–higher wages, medical care, education, housing, food security, each separately. It’s time to go for a whole package. That is what anti-corporate legislators should strive for.

5 Likes