Home | About | Donate

The Real Midterm Takeaway? We Have Movement Work To Do

The Real Midterm Takeaway? We Have Movement Work To Do

Phyllis Bennis, Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II

Elections are not how we change history. But they are a big part of how we—social movements, poor and disenfranchised and marginalized people, communities of color—engage with power. So when we win electoral victories, it matters. A lot. It's not because of which party wins, which state turns from red to purple or back again. Elections are not a box of crayons.

Very good commentary from two people I very highly respect.

Like demonstrating to protest Fascist Sessions firing? Just askin’. After all this Blue flag waving and such and Pelosi leading the charge what’s a LOTEbot to do?

With only things to vote against instead of FOR, how can people be encouraged into believing that anything will ever change with a vote? I sure as hell have see little evidence of PROGRESS over my lifetime that benefits “We the People” instead of “They the Wealthy”. What I do see is voter suppression and theft not to mention the usual cast of characters running for office and LYING their way in. A prime example is Obama, the con man extraordinaire! Pardon my well-earned cynicism but I wonder how long it will be until the “liberals” recently voted in sell out as well.

Yep, the "grumble and throw darts approach is WAY more effective. As the article is titled…WE have movement work to do. As the old saying goes…“if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.”

So how are solving the problem? By working that hold your nose and vote LOTE strategy?

Because in that case, you should thank your lucky stars for an evil like Trump.

That’s not my strategy but I’m happy to consider yours…just tell me what it is. Whether we like it or not, we’re all in this together.

This cycle I worked very local and grass roots to get a young DSA INDEPENDENT elected in my city council ward. He was trounced by his sole opponent, a far less progressive Dem, even though I live in the most liberal wards in one of the most liberal cities in the country, Ann Arbor.

I also gathered petitions for 3 state-wide ballot measures intended to circumvent political parties altogether. All 3 passed by wide margins: Legal weed, redistricting by non-partisan commission, and super improved voting rights.

Good on ya…we engaged in similar fights…good fights. We Don’t win 'em al, but we Don’t win any if we don’t fight