Home | About | Donate

The Real Story Behind Katharine Graham and “The Post”

The Real Story Behind Katharine Graham and “The Post”

Norman Solomon

The Washington Post was instrumental in avidly promoting the lies that made the Vietnam War possible in the first place.

"To Graham, men like McNamara and Kissinger -- the main war architects for Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon -- were wonderful human beings." (Photo: youtube/screenshot)

anyone who could call the likes of Kissinger a friend ought not to be lauded in any film. another good reason as to why we are in the shit we are in today. ugh.

“The Washington Post deserves credit for publishing sections of the Pentagon Papers immediately after a federal court injunction in mid-June 1971 stopped the New York Times from continuing to print excerpts from the secret document.”

Some years later Katherine Graham stated that if she were in that position again she wouldn’t print the Pentagon Papers.
It really was some kind of fluke that the unofficial CIA organ, the Washington Post ever decided to do so at all. Now that the U$A is totally committed to permanent war, no M$M outlet will ever do something like that again. Instead they will always engage in smear campaigns on people like Snowden and Assange. War really is a racket and a very lucrative one.
Reread your Orwell. Just substitute Big Dollar for Big Brother.

Here is a conversation about our new war, the war on Russia.

Peace
Po

A nice piece by Norman - if I end up seeing the movie, I’ll have some context for reality. I’d be curious to hear if Daniel Ellsberg sees the movie and comments on it. I always enjoy hearing his interviews (recently Fresh Air and Democracy Now), and though it was almost completely fictional (http://www.antiwar.com/orig/ellsberg1.html), I still enjoyed seeing James Spader play Ellsburg going through is transformation at RAND. I’m sure The Post will play loose with the facts as almost all Hollywood efforts at docudrama do (why I’ll never understand - anybody have a list of the most accurate docudramas wroth seeing?), but I hope the message overall is still in the right direction relative to where we are (which is nowhere good).

Thanks, the spawn of tail gunner Joe, now ascendant on liberal sites, should listen to Prof. Cohen, his conversations with John Batchelor are rewarding and educational.

The Post remains a servant of the status quo.

Outside of Rachel “The Russians Are Coming” Maddow, was there a bigger cheerleader for Hillary during the last election? Who could forget this, for instance?:

Sick of the entertainment establishment darlings Streep, Hanks, and don’t get him angry or you will never work in the industry again, Spielberg, anyway…I’ll wait until it is on Netflix, if that exists in the future.

Kissinger is also a very good pal for “Cry for me” H.Clinton…what does that tell you?, as if you don’t know.

The insidious irony of liberal iconogy

Thank you for saving me the price of a ticket Mr. Solomon!

When I saw the photo at the top, I though that Katherine Graham could be played by Merryl Streep. Once again, I was slow on the uptake…A few thoughts lumbering their way upwards:

1. Hollywood is the Establishment. What fool thinks he might gain any truth from a film based on a book written by one of the Establishment? Doh!
  2. Wapo was the voice of the CIA ever since Graham’s husband got the reins from her father.
  3. The Pentagon Papers (imo) was part of the whole CIA project to silence Nixon because he had threatened CIA Richard Helms that he would sail the beans over the whole “Bay of Pigs thing” - thats Establishment-speak for the CIA Assassination of JFK.
  4. Katherine the Great’s husband’s death had all the hallmarks of a CIA killing. Whether through the damage done to their livers, minds or souls, those who work in toxic swamps eventually succumb to the toxins.
  5. Katherine was at lunch with J.K. Galbraith when news of the JFK assassination was announced. I don’t think this was happenstance, but her job to watch his reaction.
  6. Whatever happened to Washington journalist Richard Starnes who reported on the CIA being out of control in Vietnam, and warned of a CIA coup against JFK 6 weeks before it happened. Now, that would make a better story than the loathsome Katherine the Great Deceiver.

“Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious” It is also a very powerful force that enables you to see war criminals as pargons of virtue. Or your terrorist country as the best country on earth.

Thank you Mr. Solomon. The old adage that the victor writes the history should be challenged at every turn. Only truth matters.

Kissinger was also an adviser to Obama –
these people don’t go away; they are a permanent part of
Elite control over our government.

History according to Steven Spielberg and Katherine Graham…
reminds us that Elites control our news and pretty much always have.
“The propaganda of white male history” is just as much propaganda as
when it is written by a white female.

For me, Katherine Graham reeks of murderous Elitism as made clear in
her “friendships” with the murderous Kissinger/McNamara and LBJ/Nixon.
The Post “promoted the lies that made the Vietnam War possible” and
supported it throughout.

Katherine Graham’s support for the CIA and self-censorship is related by
Robert Party in the story of the “CIA having funneled anti-Sandinista money
through the Nicaraguan Catholic Church.”

(Of course, this all takes place after CIA’s Operation Mockingbird which was
put in place two years before the end of WWII, but it is also post the death
of Philip Graham, her husband, who ran the Post until his “suicide.” It was
Philip Graham who was recruited … See: Wiki article on Mockingbird

Wisner recruited Phil Graham from The Washington Post to run the project within the industry. According to Davis, “By the early 1950s, Wisner ‘owned’ respected members of The New York Times, Newsweek, CBS and other communications vehicles.”

Recently, I’ve read comments which may suggest that the first media heads
called upon by the CIA to cooperate with this operation may not have done so
willingly. Whatever the truth of it, I doubt that we know all of it even now.)

Was the Washington Post “an unofficial” CIA organ?
Was Ben Bradley CIA?
Where does that leave us with Watergate, Woodward/Bernstein?

History –

Thank you for the additional information you’ve supplied …

Especially for 4, 5, and 6 –

4.Katherine the Great’s husband’s death had all the hallmarks of a CIA killing. Whether through the damage done to their livers, minds or souls, those who work in toxic swamps eventually succumb to the toxins.
5.Katherine was at lunch with J.K. Galbraith when news of the JFK assassination was announced. I don’t think this was happenstance, but her job to watch his reaction.
6.Whatever happened to Washington journalist Richard Starnes who reported on the CIA being out of control in Vietnam, and warned of a CIA coup against JFK 6 weeks before it happened. Now, that would make a better story than the loathsome Katherine the Great Deceiver.

Will be trying to follow.

. . . . . . . .

Background of the Pentagon Papers being printed by NY Times …

January 1970:
Ellsberg leaves RAND for MIT, and is assigned to an office directly across from war architect William Bundy. Ellsberg befriends Professors Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn, with whom he shares the Pentagon Papers and who will eventually compose a volume of analytical essays to accompany their publication.

May 1970:
During the tumultuous month, the U.S. Bombs Cambodia, prompting resignations of key government officials; the Kent State shooting stirs campus unrest.

June 13, 1971:
The first story appears in the Sunday New York Times with a 24-point type headline “Vietnam Archive: Pentagon Study Traces 3 Decades of Growing U.S. Involvement” by Neil Sheehan.
The first article focused on the Tonkin Gulf incident of August 1964. It describes how the U.S. conducted extensive actions, causing the South Vietnamese to raid Northern targets with the express purpose of provoking a response that would be used to justify greater U.S. participation in the war.
http://topsecretplay.org/timeline/

Typical Spielberg twisted tripe…went to HS with him and even had a starring role in his first movie, “Firelight” made while we were in HS in Phoenix. All his films harken back to movies made from 1930 to 1950…same plots, different takes thereon, new actors. He would watch those movies into the wee hours of almost every night…obsessed by them. Close Encounters of the Third Kind is even a carbon copy of Firelight. Raiders movies are take-offs on Errol Flynn and Buster Crabbe films of yore.

Also tried to read Graham’s memoir and could not get through the first chapter as her arrogance, hubris, and condescending tone were off-putting. Grateful not to have paid for it…just checked it out of the local library.

Yet another movie to pass by. Highly recommend remake of Murder on the Orient Express…Branagh knocked it out of the park with this well-crafted, perfectly directed, exquisitely filmed masterpiece.

Greenwich. I think you already know the answers to your excellent questions: Wapo was and still is CIA. Jeff Bezos is on a nice fat contract. Ben Bradlee was in Paris in WWII as part of the predecessor to CIA. All the same spooks missed their cloak and dagger adventures, hence the 1947 CIA was only ever a chance of title to a dark force throughout the 20th Century. Teddy Roosevelt made mention of this power behind the throne. Bradlee was part of the Georgetown set and all these WASP elites control everything. I have suggested elsewhere that Watergate scoop was a CIA take down of Nixon who threatened Helms that he Nixon, would spill the beans on JFK assassination. The two reporters were either either dupes or paid assassins.

History –
Was reading recently that it was the Council of Foreign Relations which pushed for the OSS –
and then for the change to CIA. Obviously Elites always have a need for intelligence.

Re Watergate …

I have suggested elsewhere that Watergate scoop was a CIA take down of Nixon who threatened Helms that he Nixon, would spill the beans on JFK assassination. The two reporters were either dupes or paid assassins.<

As I remember it, Nixon sent someone with a message to Helms that “Watergate” if pursued could uncover the “Bay of Pigs thing.” Seems he was asking for assistance in the cover up.
I do recall, however, that Helms gave a very hostile reaction to that request.

However, Nixon was actually very actively involved in the conspiracy to assassinate JFK.
Nixon was one of the men who gathered at Clinton Murchinson’s home late in the evening
on the eve of the assassination. Haven’t counted the names – but as I recall more than
20 or so of them.
See: Madeleine Brown/YouTube
If you want, I can list them for you here.

It’s still difficult to see exactly what was going on –
What comes to my mind is that this was the time when the hack-able computers were
coming in (1967). I really don’t think there ever was a “Southern Strategy” any more than
there was a “Silent Majority.” I think there only was hack-able voting computers.
By the time of Watergate, there was an investigation (and a book) threatening the voting
computers and their ability to pull that off. In fact, the two journalists had left information
about their investigation at the Watergate for Larry O’Brien, who may have seen the info
and may not have seen it.

Also, Detective Rothstein (see additional comments below) relates that a "book of names"
of higher up’s involved in prostitution/child trafficking was either in Larry O’Brien’s office
or somewhere in the DNC’s offices. (As I recall this … )

The opposition is always involved with very long term planning –
they had hundreds of years to destroy any attempt at democracy in US.
We know about a few dozen CIA programs – but there may have been
thousands. Elites – while not always in total agreement – have worked
together, united in most every way – up, down, sideways – to take full control
of our government.
In order to corrupt government and officials, it seems obvious that sex has
always been used for blackmail. At some point, simple “affairs” and pics/
videos weren’t enough – and it seems that they began using children and
pedophiles. Retired Det. Rothstein in an interview with Jim Fetzer relates
that Watergate was also about "prostitutes and sexual abuse of children."
At the very end of the interview, he also comments on child trafficking and
the involvement of our military … again if I recall correctly.
See: Detective Rothstein/YouTube
See: Kay Griggs/YouTube

Before Watergate, LBJ and Bobby Bakker were running a scam to blackmail
members of Congress using “Ladies of the Day/Night” who they had put up
in hotel rooms in DC. In the case of LBJ, we had a real live murderer take
the office – and who knows how many more since then?

With the rise of the right in the US, we have seen the increase in sex trafficking,
including child and organ trafficking. And it seems to run parallel with US drug
trafficking.

Jeff Bezos/Amazon.com – wasn’t aware of his involvement with CIA, but he has
now taken over Whole Foods, as well – and it seems that no matter what you want
Amazon has control of it.

Would just add that for anyone who isn’t familiar with Kay Griggs/YouTube …
pretty much Part I will do it, but it is in the latter part of the interview where she
speaks about the Council on Foreign Relations and members.

Don’t feed the creature.

Get a bittorrent client, like Transmission.

Search for what you’re looking for on the Pirate Bay.

Don’t download the big new blockbuster unless you use a VPN or at very least a block list.