Home | About | Donate

The real story behind the Republicans’ Iran letter

The real story behind the Republicans’ Iran letter

Gareth Porter

The “open letter” from Senator Tom Cotton and 46 other Republican Senators to the leadership of Iran, which even Republicans themselves admit was aimed at encouraging Iranian opponents of the nuclear negotiations to argue that the United States cannot be counted on to keep the bargain, has created a new political firestorm.

THANKS Bill Kristol! First for Sarah Palin, now Tom Cotton!

I think that the situation is the reverse. Netanyahu is a yahuh, err, yahoo who has been played by the republicans to start sabotaging the talks. This makes far more sense, to me, than the Likud influencing Congress. Making Israel responsible for all ills is to fail to recognize it fought for its very life; the thing is it won. Now since 1982, they have been a bully under the ferule of yet another rightwing nutcase. The Israeli people is beginning to refuse this role, and one can hope things will change from within-they are never changed from without- AND that Hamas will subside into the darkness it richly deserves, OR change. This is a facile, international conspiracy theory article without any evidence provided. So far.

Almost as facile as your post. If an American President had gone to the Knesset and delivered the same speech then you might have a point.

Israel "won" only because of overwhelming support from western nations. The zionists were fighting against poorly armed and untrained opponents.

Hamas was legitimately elected by the people of Gaza. For their choice, they are being systematically murdered by Israeli forces.

mcp

People should read and think about this paragraph. It sounds an alarm about the total lack of respect or understanding of American values and principles. How could such a man become a senator?

"Cotton proved his absolute fealty to Likudist policy on Iran by sponsoring an amendment to the Nuclear Iran Prevention Act of 2013 that would have punished violators of the sanctions against Iran with prison sentences of up to 20 years and extended the punishment to “a spouse and any relative, to the third degree” of the sanctions violator. In presenting the amendment in the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Cotton provided the useful clarification that it would have included “parents, children, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, grandparents, great grandparents, grandkids, great grandkids”.

Good. It is about time.

I don't know if we can believe that they will change from within. Just today a story on a Jewish Israeli woman who used to believe that there were moderate Arabs, but who now believes that there are none, and she's running for some high office as a prominent member of the right. Now I heard this on NPR, which if she wins means that they are going in the opposite direction. Either that or NPR must be changing the meaning of their initials from National Public Radio, to Now Pushing Right. Just saying, the new CEO is a Right winger, and since taking over their interview & mention stats have markedly jumped to the right.

I see you are not willing to discuss things, only to perorate your view which of course is the truth. Over and out.

Unlike spotless, I don't know either. But look of the inane things that are said in the US as well. Unlike Gaza, Israel is a democracy- well a theo-democracy, and even soldiers refuse to follow orders which are morally wrong. We shall see, shall we not?

This whole Iranian nuclear weapons program is a diversion from the real goal.
Twice the NIE as stated that they could find no evidence to suggest that Iran is pursuing a nuclear weapons program. Even Israel own intelligence agency ( Mossad) as agreed with this..

The position that Iran was pursuing a nuclear weapons program could no longer be supported to the point
that the language had to be changed . A few years back it went from nuclear weapons program, to nuclear program with a “break out time” to be restricted to many years or to be entirely eliminated.
We should note that Iran is a signatory to the (NPT) Nuclear non proliferation treaty, and the main accuser is not.

Yes. NPR has been rendered irrelevant.
Yes. There is a peace movement in Israel.

I would not call it any more effective than the US peace movement which went dormant around ... 2006? 2004? Crowds dwindled from millions to hundreds of thousands to thousands. Revelations of torture? Are actually approved by a majority of Americans. Permitting the shelling of women and children in Gaza merely confirms our moral failure as a nation.

Anyway, remember that the Israelis are merely our foward operating base in the oil wars. The fact that Iran has the science to build a bomb is a great reason to invade the last big oil producer. That AIPAC can leverage our oil addiction to back Israel in making a bantustan out of Palestine speaks to our own failure to get off an energy source that poisoned our gulf, and is killing the planet.

We are energy junkies, and easily played, accordingly. I don't see neocons as religious, but I see them playing On Israel's fears strategically using them to secure the middle east. Using the religious right's phobias here at home to amp it up to a point of near hysteria.

So holding out hope for a moral groundswell ... aint gonna happen. Not from Israel, and not from the southern baptists who have 'Judea' all wrapped up in the apocalypse fantasy. Without them AIPAC would not have the power they have over foreign policy.

Yes. Remember when Menachem Begin came to the US and palled around worth Jerry Falwell. It did not bode well when Israel put its eggs in that basket.

How can you possibly assert that AIPAC doesn't influence Congress?

Did I assert such a thing? No.
Have you shown that it does? NO.

As for that lady becoming hardliner on NPR. What is so hard to believe? When bullies like Israeli, they have to reinforce their arrogance with some justification. I am sure their media makes that easier.

Over the entire course of history, essentially no people living in the metropole of an Empire (either knowingly or not) have ever escaped massive financial and bodily suffering when the Empire collapses.

Within our memory of the 20th century's two world wars of Empires, the people of the British Empire, the French Empire, the German/Nazi Empire, the Japanese Empire, and finally the Russian/Soviet Empire have all suffered massively whether the Empire in which they suffered as 'subjects' was an overt or covert, a visible or disguised, aggressor Empire.

The American people have not yet suffered as 'subjects' and victims of the Disguised Global Capitalist Empire in which they passively live --- but there is precious little time for the people who wrongly think of themselves as 'citizens' of the country previously know as America to break their passivity and organize together in solidarity and love to end this last Empire on earth peacefully.

And the people of the UK, France, Germany, Japan, Russia, and Israel must be mindful that although they are not in the metropole, but along the 'boarder forts', of this Global Empire, that they will suffer again as greatly as those caught in the nominal HQ of the Disguised Global Capitalist Empire --- if they do not cooperate in peacefully excising this cancerous tumor of Empire.

Liberty, equality, democracy, and justice
Over
Violent (and Vichy disguised)
Empire,

Alan MacDonald
Wells, Maine

Only an idiot or rabid supporter of Israel would assert that AIPAC doesn't influence Congress - or an idiotic rabid supporter of Israel.

"I asked Rosen [former Director of AIPAC] if aipac suffered a loss of influence after the Steiner affair. A half smile appeared on his face, and he pushed a napkin across the table. “You see this napkin?” he said. “In twenty-four hours, we could have the signatures of seventy senators on this napkin.”" Real Insiders, The New Yorker

What is this ridiculous bit of nonsense about grandchildren being held responsible for the supposed transgressions of their grandparents? Sounds biblical and ridiculous to me.

Jim Shea

Please read Max Blumenthal's 'Goliath', and get back to us about what you've written here.

You most certainly did. These are your words, emphasis mine.

I think that the situation is the reverse. Netanyahu is a yahuh, err,
yahoo who has been played by the republicans to start sabotaging the
talks. **This makes far more sense, to me, than the Likud influencing
Congress.**

Likud of course directs AIPAC lobbying of Congress.