Home | About | Donate

The Real Terrorists: The .01%

The Real Terrorists: The .01%

Paul Buchheit

They consist of 16,000 individuals, about the size of a crowd at a professional basketball game. The inequality horror they've fomented is reaching far beyond the half of America that is in or near poverty, for it now impacts those of us well above the median, those of us in the second highest of four wealth quartiles.

1. The .01% Have as Much Wealth as 80% of America

Finally. You are focusing on reality. Many dead people would thank you if they could.

And their approach to public education... shut it down... charter it! Or make a profit trying. http://weaponsofmassdeception.org/

Reading Naomi Klein's SHOCK DOCTRINE one realizes that just as other terror groups create specific events (like Oklahoma City, 9-11, etc.) designed to inflict terror in the hearts and minds of victims, the .01 terrorists create events such as the 2008 meltdown, US gubmit shutdowns, etc. to scare the 99% into going so far as to demand that the government defund domestic programs and curtail civil liberties, thereby further enhancing the .01%'s fortunes at the expense of the rest of us.

The .01% will not stop until they own 100% and the rest of us own nothing...the neofeudalism of their dreams.

The reality the author lays-out, how average people are paying, often with their lives, for the excesses, greed and subversion of our politics by those who control great wealth and public officials must finally be seen for what it is; economic terrorism - a conspiracy of wealth and corrupted political officials/influence/mechanisms and the legislation wealth buys, or destroys, to increase wealth on the backs of the most vulnerable.

The poor have been thrown on the garbage-heap of society by politicians serving and empowering the wealthy. Homelessness is in part caused by oppressive property taxes and other costs the wealthy can easily afford but millions cannot. Being poor or less ambitious than others should not result in what our nations systems have created, poverty without hope, home or future. Wealth domination of politics and vulture capitalist quest for profits above all else have arguably taken, stolen, the ability just to live a modest life from millions.
"My friends, my cousins. Do you remember when we were not rich, but when our poverty was different...not a thing to be ashamed of" - Milagro Beanfield War

For every dollar the ultra-wealthy evade paying-back to society a dollar is taken, legislated-out - forced-out, of the pockets and lives of average people. Our elected/selected representatives serve big-money almost exclusively, passing evaded revenue needs onto the backs of average people via property/income taxes, "fees" (taxes by another name) of many sorts local, state and national, fines and vehicle costs, law-enforcement mechanisms, permits, and other manufactured ways to gift the uber-wealthy and steal from the people least able to afford it.

That is economic terrorism!

It's hardly 99% who "go along" with this agenda.

How much consensus was required for the Patriot Act to come into effect?

How much for the decision (hardly made by said 99%) to bail out the big banks, rather than taxpayers and "underwater" homeowners?

How much for the Obama "care" bamboozle, a giveaway to Big Insurance?

And how much for the TPP or TIPP?

The P.R., arm-twisting, mass media redundant Talking Points and associated Official Narratives largely come AFTER the fact.

The same idiots that attend Trump rallies or think that Ron Paul represents liberty (for anything other than corporations) are the ones who might go along with this program that takes from the poor and working class to give to the rich.

BTW: Am I the only one who found this statistic confusing, or more likely... a misprint and thus inaccurate:

"In contrast, a recent Institute for Policy Studies report calculated that the bottom half of America has about $732 billion in total wealth, and further calculations on the same data show that the bottom 75% of America owned about $6.2 trillion in 2013."

How can the numbers run from $732 billion to $6.2 trillion? Something doesn't jibe in this sentence.

"Being poor or less ambitious than others should not result in what our nations systems have created, poverty without hope."

Using the right wing's Talking Points to theoretically make an opposing case is bad policy and anything but strategic OR accurate!

Most people are born to their financial status within a class-based society.

There was a time, mostly in the aftermath to W.W. II when human rights, job benefits, and financial progress were more equally spread around. In other words, there was greater class mobility and more people were able to obtain college degrees, purchase homes, and join the Middle Class.

But the Reagan years followed by Clinton's deregulatory finesse shifted the calculus. And it's climaxed in this awful Supreme Court's decision to grant to Big Money, near absolute control over what had previously strived to be a Democratic Republic.

This idea that the poor lack ambition is a Koch-Brothers' talking point and it's based on Calvinism: the idea that God rewards those who are wealthy with ostensible riches. In contrast, those without them "obviously lack God's blessing."

It's about as accurate as Divine Right of King... and just as enduring.

Please don't misread or read-into my comment Siouxrose, I certainly do not mean to parrot the right or give their ideology any legitimacy as you must certainly know - or should. I wrote "Being poor or less ambitious" not that the poor are less ambitious. By "less ambitious" I only meant to suggest that some people, poor or not, wish to live simply as I do, do not chase the trappings of wealth - that is arguably easier in rural areas, but the meaning still shouldn't be misconstrued. People should not be disadvantaged in their lives by great wealth or the influence it buys or by being poor or middle-class.
It used to be said "Live simply so that others may simply live", now the quest for wealth, and influence and profits rules the land.
I can always count on you to point-out any errors I make, thank you Susan.

.... The Institute of Policy Studies was from just a few years ago. Back then about a quarter of the USA population owed more than they owned resulting in a negative net worth. Other words for negative net worth are "broke" or debt peonage.Combined the net worth of the bottom half of America was $732 Billion, equal to about the 20 wealthiest people in the country..

When you add up the combined net worth of the bottom 75% of America you get $6.2 Trillion, which sounds like a lot but was only about 10% of the net worth of the country.

The situation has gotten worse since the date of the IPS data, as the economy has boomed for the ultra wealthy. And the poverty rates and concentration of wealth data is Much Worse for people of color, rural and less educated folks.

America, the Christian nation.

You will notice that the US does follow the lead of the christian churches: Grifting of the poor, creating wars to get wealthy and get rid of excess males, hiding their wealth, rewriting history (and bibles), controlling the press, propaganda, private prisons . I'm sure I missed a few but you get the idea.

In the words of a theologian " Christianity? Great concept! Pity it has never been tried!"

Riches, n.

A gift from heaven signifying, "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased" John D., Rockefeller.
The reward of toil and virtue.- J.P. Morgan. The Savings of many in the hands of one.- Eugene Debs. A. Bierce.

And this does not even include the .00001%, i.e., the dozen or so families that own the key central banks. http://coloradopublicbanking.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-view-from-top-of-power-pyramid.html

Yes those guys are not ever mentioned and they prefer to keep it that way.

Thank you Paul for finally putting a real face to this .01%; a basketball crowd. And we the people can barely afford a hot dog while watching the game on a worn out, old TV set while that .01% sits in their plush box seats built with tax dollars that most of us pay due to the fact we can't afford the tax lawyers to hide our money off shore! Wake Up Americans!

The real terrorists are the ones that own the Amerikan Empire. As the author points out in the above article. The US terrorists that have had control of US plenary, political power and wealth need to be non-violently destroyed, incarcerated, exposed and held accountable before the average American can ever hope to get their country back to a democracy that is: for all the people; of all the people; and by all the people, instead of what we have: of the corrupt .01%; by the corrupt .01%; and for the corrupt .01%.

We need a war on terrorists alright, but they are not Muslims, they are the corrupt people and criminal cabal that have been hiding behind patsy's like Oswald and the fairy tale of 9/11 for far too long! America has been taken over, not by Communists; or by any outside threat in foreign countries, but America has been defeated from within ever since the coup d' etat in 11/22/63.

Excellent article. Thank you Mr. Buchheit.

Democracy, frequent, direct, online, by encrypted vote is one answer.

Harry Braun's "Democracy Amendment" is another:
https://www.democracyamendmentusa.net

Sen Gravel's http://www.vote.org/fossedal is another

Without peaceful revolution as above, a French Revolution style guillotine is likely to be the final answer.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and Property the pursuit of Happiness.

"Property" was changed to "the pursuit of Happiness" because our "Founding Fathers" realized they'd need the support of the un-propertied masses to carry out the Revolution. But you can be dam sure they meant what they said the first time, and that simply changing the final text did not in any way change their minds or intentions. The fundamental issue in their minds was the right not to have their properties seized by the King. That was what would make them "happy".

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.