Home | About | Donate

The Reality Behind the ‘Surging’ U.S. Economy

The Reality Behind the ‘Surging’ U.S. Economy

Sarah Anderson

Recent economic reports have President Donald Trump crowing.

The big headline numbers do sound encouraging. The unemployment rate is down to 3.6%, the lowest since 1969. Average earnings are finally outpacing inflation, the stock market has been hitting record highs, and the first quarter of 2019 had the fastest annualized growth rate (3.2%) since 2015.

2 Likes

Over a decade ago, then French President Nicolas Sarkozy funded three prominent economists, Joseph E. Stiglitz, Amartya Sen, and Jean-Paul Fitoussi, to study economics from a more human view than usually done. Their work, Mis-measuring Our Lives (2010), remarkably explains just how the Gross Domestic Product ideology is flawed. It’s a quick and effective read.

6 Likes

Every 1% of increased productivity goes to profit the top end, a puts a further squeeze on the workers. The gap increases.

5 Likes

Unlike the rooster who believed his crowing caused the sun to rise, Pwesident Twump not only has corporate media spreading the lie for him, but a sizeable following who is happy to believe it…

11 Likes

Watch corporate media(MSM) on TV and you’d think Disneyland was everywhere you looked here in America. Seldom mentioned are the still starving children, the homeless, the workers with three jobs that are still struggling to survive, and the rising healthcare costs outstripping all manner of reasonable inflation. Sure, Trump and his rich buddies are buying another luxury property off the backs of the working poor. The tax scam of '17 is the gift that keeps on taking. Give to the corporate and wealthy class and rob the poor with regressive tax rates. Then to make up the immense deficit they want to attack our Medicare and Social Security, something we ALL paid taxes for. These benefits aren’t entitlements as Congress is want to say. Their members pay little more(SS tax) than a worker making 75K a year. Oh yeah, they have a fabulous healthcare plan. They can afford child care. They have about 3 months off work a year(sorry I didn’t look up the actual # of days off.) So how the f**k are they to know how bad the lower 50% is? It’s ready to collapse. A house of financial cards propped up on mountains of debt and empty promises. They don’t represent the average American and never did. The New Deal has been eviscerated over the last 70 years. There’s nothing left for Americans but the tears of despair and the dead dreams never realized due to a failing system never meant to help the average worker.

12 Likes

Good gosh- while we agree- it sounds like most people on this site are depressed, down and out and living in a carboard box instead of being on the opposite side- as in retired and doing well…

1 Like

It’s the sound of empathy you hear. It’s the voice of concern. I go over the top quite often because I feel for “the people” more than I do myself. Partly because I’m doing okay.

6 Likes

Of course we feel for people- what about animals and the rest of the environment? Besides feeling and empathy ( which are just empty words) perhaps people could post what they actually are doing for others. Not everyone here is doing great BTW- but by the sounds of it you’d think that some of the people on this site were living in a ditch somewhere.

Be happy you’re doing okay- maybe if you’re not doing it already- give to a shelter ( human or non human) or volunteer somewhere- you’ll feel better. Yes, I post too- and sometimes go over- but in the end what good does that do?

1 Like

There’s nothing left??? This might shock you, but I have worked with people who were refugees and came to the US. They are grateful for what they have, work hard, and vote more often than many American born people! I have to remember that also.

1 Like

OK. So all this discontent will result in the assured election of a progressive candidate like either Bernie or Warren. Right? In the short term, the struggles and inequalities that the author illuminates will become electoral blessings? People of color will readily line up to vote for these two white candidates I mentioned? Or?

Unemployment rate is down?
That is because everyone has to have two jobs just to break even.

6 Likes

Literally one tank of $5/gallon gas from not being able to make rent. I live with chronic pain from a spinal issue I could have resolved in any first or 2nd world nation on earth. I cannot move elsewhere because moving costs exceed what I could summon and I cannot afford higher rent, rent that gets jumped every 9 months because that’s how landlords do things now, I’m at the mercy of watching my mouth with our current landlord and fixing things myself as I’m able or she’ll raise the rent and we WILL be in a cardboard box. The truck just died and I have no way to go to a job, if I could even get one I could physically do at 52 with a busted spine. In my neighborhood ALL of us are in this shitstorm of the rich guys’ making. Every time we hear this bullshit economy is crushing it crowing, it’s like a knife in the gut AND the back. At this point I’d welcome civil war 2.0 and take my revenge on the rich (hypothetically), because I literally have next to nothing to live for. If things are still like this in 8 more years, I’m out. Going to end the pain permanently. THAT is where we live now, not anywhere near “retired and doing well.”

5 Likes

You honestly believe the rich guys at the DNC give a damn about us? This is war. They’ll force Stoopit Joe down out throat and claim victory while we pound sand and keep suffering.

5 Likes

Hi Ogg-the Bear: I’m sorry that you are having a bad time, as so much of America is too. I guess the best America ever was, for white people anyway was after WW 2. And I guess the best time in America for black people was with the 60s and the Civi Rights Act. Weirdly, I bet that WW 2 did mix up so many Americans in different lands and experiences that when people came back home it really did seem like America was the greatest and the people of WW 2 were the Greatest Generation. It seemed like America helped other nations back then.
Now we abuse citizens and other nations, but I just read some news about how Canada is getting angry with Trumps stupidity for expecting them to back up America on being mad at China and ignoring the trade deal that’s screwing over Canada. Maybe in a strange way, Trump is the gift that wakes up the world to the fact that there is no great nation of the world— but -there are greedy and mindless people.
I wish I could tell you something more positive, but my life implodes a lot too, but then something good does happen at the last minute, because there really are a lot of nice people in the world, and being on Common Dreams is good too. I never have enough money eithe so r, its always nice to go someplace where people write/ speak to each other, and sometimes, sharing thoughts or learning new ideas is the best place in the world to be. : )

3 Likes

There are lies

Damn lies

And “economic indicators”

7 Likes

And many jobs are NO BENEFITS jobs. Many people are not counted. Some are retired people who are bored at home or need that small supplemental income.
In other words, many jobs are not worthy of an unemployment job rating. The 3. whatever % number reflects the Obama growth numbers in part as well.

1 Like

You mean like the Wall Street Journal presidential candidate polls. I have equal faith in Trump as I do with those polls.

2 Likes

The brainwashing by the MSM for 2020 has begun in earnest. The true story will never be told by the people controlling things. All I have to do is look around and see people living in tents in the streets, begging for money, etc, etc - to know how the economy is working.

2 Likes

POWERFUL POST, olhippy! I wish it could be read by more than just us here at “the choir”. Thank you.

1 Like