Home | About | Donate

The Remarkable Mothers of Social Security

The Remarkable Mothers of Social Security

Nancy J. Altman

This Mother’s Day, let’s celebrate the remarkable Mothers of Social Security. Without them, this essential program may never have been born. It certainly would be much less successful and effective.

The Mothers of Social Security pushed for an expansive, ambitious program. When necessary, they fiercely resisted men too cautious to embrace their bold vision. All of us benefit immensely from their work—particularly women, for whom Social Security’s modest benefits are especially important.

1 Like

As a distant relative of Ms Perkins my family stands proud of all of her accomplishments.
Thank you for this article.

2 Likes

Great piece about SS and the beginnings of social programs in the USA. What we see these days are the neo-liberal ideals of gutted social programs or a privatized system with extraction of profit the prime motive. Lies are told in Congress about “entitlements” and lack of continuing funding. They are the ones causing an insolvency of a perpetual program due to greed of the wealthy. Essentially lying to scare folks into submission. There is no reason to allow these thieves to continue the attack on our ‘security’ in old age. I rely on SS to exist. The few funds I managed to save were sucked up by the lack of a decent healthcare system leaving me with no savings whatsoever. (I was diagnosed with lung cancer in '07 and had a $200K hospital bill. Poof! All my savings were gone. The state paid the rest.) The whole kit and caboodle of this debacle of a lack of a decent healthcare system is a failure of the first degree of a govt that has been taken over by corporations and the oligarchy that owns most of the wealth. We need elected leaders that will help in these matters If not an insurrection is not out of the question.

1 Like

"The Mother’s Of Invention."