Home | About | Donate

The Remorseless Working of Things: A Political Tragedy in Three Parts

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/18/remorseless-working-things-political-tragedy-three-parts

Wonderful summary of our most pressing problems.

2 Likes

Indeed as Atcheson makes clear, this is a double crises. The crippling obstacle that threatens our survival as a nation and as a species is the rule of money. Unless we disempower corporate tyranny and the stranglehold private money has on our government, we cannot address the exponential climate catastrophe in any way that makes a difference. In the short term we must, against the odds, support Sanders or Warren and demand the Green New Deal as well as pressuring out local and state reps on climate issues. Beyond that, and most likely, we will have to take it to the streets and shut this juggernaut of destruction down.

2 Likes

I had an impeach Bush bumper sticker for years. Didn’t do any good that I know of.
I guess I should consider myself lucky the car didn’t get keyed.

2 Likes

As clear and concise a description of our current crisis as has ever been presented. No surprise as Mr. Atcheson consistently offers up superior analysis. It is up to the rest of us to push this under the noses of our ‘leaders’ and demand they take action.

1 Like

Sure, it’s a political tragedy. But even more so, it’s an evolutionary tragedy.

As humans evolved, our minds developed defense mechanisms designed to make sure that the safety of black and white “belief” overwhelmed the frightening uncertainty of gray area reality. Thus, religious “faith” precludes fact, ideology precludes humanism, and stasis precludes an honest reckoning with cause and effect.

In other words, what could be construed as a usefully protective shield against doubt, has actually become a barrier to clearer thinking. Now we’re too wedded to tribal superstition to get out of our own ways.

2 Likes

Mr. Atcheson does consistently offer up superior analysis of the problem.

And like most of the articles offered by Common Dreams never offers ideas on how we can push this under the nose of our leaders and demand they take action.

I wrote to Mr. Atcheson about such an idea and he wrote back saying it was a good idea and even noted how he had lived in the same town where I live. But he has not written about this idea, Why not?

www.onedemand.org