Home | About | Donate

The Republican Party and Victimhood as Ideology

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/06/republican-party-and-victimhood-ideology

The men and women that raised me taught me to own up to my shortcomings and to give credit to those who taught me how to go beyond my natural talents–and they were largely Republicans–Eisenhower Republicans to be specific. The “it’s not my fault” mantra just did not past muster with them. They showed me a better way through patience and example. I am still a flawed individual, deeply so at times, but oh so much better for having their loving wisdom in my life. The world was far from perfect then and there have been many positive points of Progress made in my lifetime. The Republicans of the past forty years have most definitely shown themselves to be the party of regression. Many of the rank and file are decent folks unaware of how they are being manipulated from above. My sister is one. Just the other day she confessed that she doesn’t know what to believe anymore–largely because she doesn’t think independently nor reach out to multiple sources of information. She has a great heart, but an ossified mind–an American tragedy that I know that I cannot fix. She is very much like a deer in the headlights, which is exactly where the masters want her to be. I cannot fathom what it must be like for the uneducated who will believe the last thing they heard, much like IQ45. Biden was not my number one pick, but he has earned my loyalty, which will include vocal opposition when necessary. Fourteen days, folks. Hang on. We can and must make this Our country anew.

4 Likes

In regards to your sister, she is waking up from the “Trump stupor”, please reach out to her with facts about reality. Your one of the lucky ones, most of my Trump supporting family members are still in lala land, still believe everything he says, talk about how he was robbed of this election, and what a “victim” he is. I fully believe Trump supporters are much like people who join cults, they must be “deprogramed” to bring them back to the real world, you have an opening with your sister, and are smart enough to facilitate this deprograming.
Just a thought. Good luck.

3 Likes

The republican party and it’s supporters are major projectionists, they are the “snowflakes” they project on to liberals.

2 Likes

Mr. Freeman, you say:

Between 1978 and 2018, Republican economic policies [shifted more than $50 Trillion] from the working and middle classes to the already very wealthiest people in the world, the top 1%.

But these were not solely Republican policies, these were wealth-transferring policies earnestly and actively promulgated by both corrupt parties. As one small example, the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999, which repealed the key portions of Glass Steagal, was giddily pushed forward and supported by Clinton and his pal Summers (now a key advisor to Biden) and set the stage for the crash of 2008.

The D’s aren’t the ‘good guys’ in this, and continuing to proffer that they are is killing our nation.

2 Likes

Szaephod,

You are absolutely correct, the corporate Democrats, led by Pelosi and Schumer, are complicit in this theft and I have addressed that at length elsewhere. For matters of clarity, however, I chose not to include them in this essay, because its point was to identify the central tendency in Republican ideology. Not including them does not in any way reduce the truth of that identification. Again, good point, 100% valid, and thank you for engaging. This is how we make ourselves better.

Robert Freeman

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughtful response, Mr. Freeman, and my apologies for not acknowledging your many past ‘takings to task’ of the D’s in this matter, which you have done with vigor. Thank you again.

Most of our local Trump cult members view themselves as losers, and many are. That is why Trump labels anybody he doesn’t like to be a “loser”…it makes his cult believe that they are not losers.