Home | About | Donate

The Republican Tax Bill Is a Poison Pill That Kills the New Deal

The Republican Tax Bill Is a Poison Pill That Kills the New Deal

Heather Cox Richardson

Today’s Republicans would have fit right in to Herbert Hoover’s administration.

President Hoover signing the Farm-Relief Bill at the White House on June 15, 1929, providing for a $500,000,000 revolving fund to stabilize agriculture and stimulate cooperative marketing. Joining him are (left to right): Sen. Charles L. McNary (R-OR), Vice President Charles Curtis, Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth (R-OH) and Rep. Gilbert N. Haugen (R-IA). (Photo by Harris & Ewing, Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division)

Clinton Democrats could also fit in with Hoover. There is a reason democrats controlled congress for decades-that is until Clinton was elected and put tax increases on working people. Bernie Sanders is an example of an old time moderate democrat. We need to elect real democrats who represent the common people. WE NEED TO DEMAND MAJOR CUTS TO MILITARY SPENDING.------------BELIEVE ME -IF PEOPLE MARCHED ON WASHINGTON DEMANDING CUTS TO THE MILITARY THE ESTABLISHMENT WOULD BE VERY NERVOUS.

Excellent Article. One of the best that captures that process, thank you.

I am not so somber. Politics has an ebb & flow, and indeed, a loss of power has the very beneficial effect of fixing systemic problems within a political organization - of course for the Democrats, the systemic problem that looks to have been excised is “Hillary”; the most important aspects of Obamism, health care & sustainability, are proving to be durable enough to survive 2 & 4 years of Congressional & POTUS opposition, respectively. I say that health care support is durable because the Republicans have not been able to kill it, and indeed, ObamaRomneyHeritageCare has proven to be more popular than per-ORHC. And I say that sustainability is durable because no matter what the Republicans do now, the movers & shakers who make the decisions on sustainability issues consider sustainability to be the standard political environment, and thus will not make any moves that requires continued anti-sustainable policies.

The latest tax cut for the wealthy can be easily addressed once the Democrats are back in power, and indeed, the taxes can be raised to make up for any lost revenue. And if it comes to the point where the meme is that Social Security & Medicare need to be cut to fix the deficit, the Democrats have the trump card (pun NOT intended) to simply raise the FICA limit to infinity; the Republican lumpenproletariat will view extending to everyone the tax they have to pay as completely fair. Swish!