Home | About | Donate

The Revolution Is Here: Democrats Ignore It at Their Peril

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/29/revolution-here-democrats-ignore-it-their-peril

5 Likes

We must find a way to get the young people tuned into the videos and messages of FDR, Henry Wallace, Smedley Butler, and other oldies but goodies whose lessons still ring true today.

13 Likes

And don’t forget that “the revolution will not be televised” - Gil Scott Heron

9 Likes

The establishment Dims will not be imperiled by ignoring the masses. The masses will be. As much as I wish we were really ready for revolution, it’s difficult to believe that a majority of people are going to want to go into the streets and put themselves at risk given our highly militarized police forces and their already brutal ways.f

But,: given that over-population is THE primary issue, killing the masses will look much better to pampered politicians that fixing the problems. More likely, they will go after the masses in other countries, as we already are. While I shudder to think what I’m thinking, it occurs to me that the most effective way to slow this train of destruction and grant time to address the fundamental issues driving it, would be for everyone over a certain age (maybe 50, 60?) to commit suicide and give the younger generations a chance to clean up the disaster that our generation allowed. I won’t say ‘created’, although it is just as valid. Rather, we just failed to pay attention as the greediest among us tore apart the constitution and our civil rights.

Of course, it would probably be damned few who would risk their elderly lives for the sake of future generations and the entire species.

1 Like

This clip is not EXACTLY on-topic but I HAD to share it because it shows a REAGAN REPUBLICAN speaking truth-to-power and getting slammed for it! Enjoy…

7 Likes

The .01% can only stay in power and swimming in cash by controlling the narrative. The well informed could help by teaching people dependent on the MSM how to tune in to online progressive sites.

5 Likes

Don’t forget W. E. B. Du Bois!

3 Likes

I saw your post on the Berlin wall coming down, but I’ll reply here on both that thread and this one, as I believe you too are a ‘reader’?

About this article by John Acheson - those are striking figures he relates -

"If you go back to the early sixties, about half the people identified as Democrat, and only about a quarter Republican. At the same time, about 80 percent trusted government to do the right thing most of the time. Today, only about 17 percent do, and only 3 percent believe government “does what’s right” just about always, and Democrats make up only about 31 percent of the voters."

Why would any sensible person believe anything put out by either mainstream party, or the Pentagon, the FBI or the CIA after '63 and '68.

I know I don’t - and I see right here on Common Dreams more spin, as the DNC is using this platform to talk swamp politics ad nauseum. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, with LBJ right smack in the middle of the sixties !!!

My only hope is Abe’s ‘people’ - the ‘patient confidence in the ultimate justice’ of same. We are slow to catch on - but eventually we will see neither party is fit to govern a nation ‘of, by, and for’ the people.

My sincere hope is that most representatives from both parties get the boot.

But I am realistic enough to realize my ‘confident patience’ will be sorely tried for the rest of my life. So be it.

You mentioned your admiration for Gorbachev on the other thread, which I share, and this book I have is another to add to your list for the younger members of our society to read:

“The New Russia”, an autobiography by Mikhail Gorbachev (2016).

And there is another book that might interest you and like minded souls here on CD ?

“The Oracle of Oil”, by Mason Inman, (2016). Marion King Hubbert was so far ahead of his time reading this book for the second time now, I am savoring it on another plane. Hubbert was born on a farm in central Texas, and like Abe, laid rails to pay his way to the University of Chicago. It is an inspiring story in its human dimension, but more than that, King Hubbert was a “Limits of Growth” man before most of those MIT authors were out of diapers. What a shame he was only really known for his call on peak conventional oil in the US.

Andrew Bacevich’s “Breach of Trust” recounts that Smedley was only the first of many soldiers who later in life came to see the truth.

I think you are right - we need these positive stories - to balance things out and provide perspective.

4 Likes

Here it is: For the kids that don’t know it.

You will not be able to stay home, brother.
You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.
You will not be able to lose yourself on skag and
skip out for beer during commercials,
Because the revolution will not be televised.

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox
In 4 parts without commercial interruptions.
The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John
Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat
hog maws confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary.
he revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will not be brought to you by the
Schaefer Award Theatre and will not star Natalie
Woods and Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia.
The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.
The revolution will not get rid of the nubs.
The revolution will not make you look five pounds
thinner, because the revolution will not be televised, Brother.

There will be no pictures of you and Willie May
pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run,
or trying to slide that color television into a stolen ambulance.
NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8: 32
or report from 29 districts.

There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being
run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.
There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy
Wilkens strolling through Watts in a Red, Black and
Green liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving
For just the proper occasion.

Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville
Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and
women will not care if Dick finally gets down with
Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people
will be in the street looking for a brighter day.

There will be no highlights on the eleven o’clock
news and no pictures of hairy armed women
liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose.
The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom
Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.

The revolution will not be right back
after a message about a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
You will not have to worry about a dove in your
bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
The revolution will not go better with Coke.
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
The revolution will put you in the driver’s seat.

The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,
will not be televised, will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.

8 Likes

The d-party isn’t ignoring the revolution, they’re doing everything in their power to subvert it.

As for a Green New Deal, it’s way too late to stop a runaway train, yo:

8 Likes

Before we can fix this First we need to realize that the Dem ‘leadership’ are Neoliberal Wall street puppets which of course makes the Republican in reality. Pelosi’s $120 million (and her husbands Billions keeps her safe regardless of outcome. It also tells us where her allegiances actually are and how she will react to any threat of change.

6 Likes

The Revolution Is Here: Democrats Ignore It at Their Peril

Their peril is losing their corporate bribes.

2 Likes

Me thinks the people driving down the road with their eyes on their phones are not perusing political history.
While on Angel Dust once in 1971 I tripped that as I was driving my car my head was planted on the roof steering from there.

Not much different with texting.

Not to worry. Conservatives and neoliberals are killing off the world’s overpopulation as fast as they can.

1 Like

" The Revolution Is Here: Democrats Ignore It at Their Peril"

I want to believe you are right.
I hope you are right.
Currently, democracy suffers because of the stranglehold of the Democratic and Republican parties.

But reforming these parties must be only the beginning. If we are to refashion our failed democracy into something that actually works for all of us, not just institutions like the corporate media need to change. The mindsets of citizens must also change --significantly.

I’m not sure people are intelligent enough to overcome the overwhelming disinformation and propagandizing, the corruption of Congress and state legislatures, the corruption of our voting systems and their laws --in order for democracy to function well.

I wish I could be hopeful about that revolutionary change.

4 Likes

I agree about overpopulation being a problem but don’t agree with older people (admittedly many being the cause of the crisis) offing themselves. (Yes, some should!) There’s a lot to be said for the sense of history, perspective and projection for future effects that seniors can carry. Plus with the pathetic quality of most of today’s educational systems, we have no good reason to trust in the younger generation’s (as a whole) ability to problem-solve effectively, especially without re-inventing the wheel.

Ouch. Admit I haven’t heard/seen that.

Probably before you were born. Glad to be the one.

There was some geezer bashing going on in another thread here and being a 69 yr old boomer I’m hear to tell ya’ll we aint all decrepit.

; - )

1 Like

Of course, that’s also the problem with “democracy”: 51% of the people telling the other 49% what to do. There needs to be a lot more consensus, not just ramming legislation down other people’s throats.

Lol lol…there doesn’t seem to be a female equivalent for geezer, so I’ll settle, maybe, for crone. Then, PP, I’ll see you and raise you a few!! But thanks anyway!! Lol!

1 Like