Home | About | Donate

The Right Thing To Do

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2019/12/02/right-thing-do

1 Like

This is all nice and tender (NOT sarcasm) BUT…Warren is still not right/qualified to be president or even the nominee. Ayanna Pressley won’t be there while she is debating Dumbf to save her when things get tough.

2 Likes

Hi carlmarks:
Elizabeth isn’t Bernie-----but she really is a role model for “girls” of all ages,. Like Bernie, she does connect with people and that’s probably;y because she has had difficult issues in her life—and didn’t have family money or power to help her.
Bernie is like that, but he’s been doing it longer. Trump would be a real idiot to take Bernie on or her on, because I think she would honestly try to answer him----and LOL, and like Bernie show Trump how working for he People is done. : )

3 Likes

It was after Hillary lost in 2016 that Warren started copying Bernie’s progressive policies. So, no, we’re NOT “in this together.” Warren is an opportunist who is trying to prevent the transformational candidate of our lifetime, Bernie Sanders, from winning the Presidency.

I’m very disappointed to see puff pieces for Warren on Common Dreams.

4 Likes

She can be that as a senator. Dumbf would wipe the floor with her in a debate, stardust. It would be like Hitler against June Cleaver. Sorry, but I think the “Peter Principle” is in effect with Tin Lizzie.

Hi carlmarks:
Elizabeth is not the one for me, but she is miles above lots of the others. Bernie is the one for me–and if he gets treated the way that he was last time, then I think the Dem party will be offing itself this time.
Listening to how Trump gets more and more nasty and mean and even ridiculous----he is like that black knight in one of the Monthy Python movies. You know the one with the Black Knight, and he fights and gets his arms and legs cut off----and is left with being a knight with no arms or legs left? Then the knight says, “Lets call it a draw.”
Trump is getting to that point, as things were always weird with him-----but he’s almost foaming at the mouth now ----and I don’t expect him to ever, ever get any better.

2 Likes

Yep, I am “Bernie or Bust!” all the way. If he loses/gets screwed out of the nomination, I will be staying home for the general. No compromise is an honorable position for me in this case.

5 Likes

I am a little surprised at this piece on Warren. A little much I think. I do not think she is a bad human being I believe she truly believes she would make a good president and improve the lives of people. I just happen to think her pro corporate Rockefeller style Republican ideas are wrong and worse outdated.
How can one not be for Universal Healthcare for all, paid for by all of us who can pay anything, on a graduated scale (with the resulting far higher contributions by the wealthy) ?
How can this decent person NOT be for that??? I do not think any of them are truly evil monsters we sometimes make them out to be here, (mostly for effect I think) but it really disturbs me that this woman, whom I think is probably a very caring person, can not grasp that people are actually DYING over this…
Except for Sanders all the people running seem to have a missing gene of understanding that health is the basis for everything in life. And also lack the courage and imagination to make universal healthcare happen.
I hate the idea of being a one issue voter but for me is has come to that. I have seen too many people in the last few years go without proper care through no fault of their own and several have died because of it and of course, as most of you regulars know, my son had serious coverage issues for his kidney problems.

5 Likes

Yes the right thing to do is New Improved Medicare For All.

Fosfomycin was discovered in 1969 and approved for medical use in the United States in 1996.[1][3] It is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[4] It is available as a generic medication.[5] In the United Kingdom it costs the NHS about £4.86 for a course of treatment.[5] This amount in the United States has a cost of about US$95 as of 2019.[6] It was originally produced by certain types of Streptomyces , although it is now made chemically.[3]

A drug approved for use in the oosa in 1969 cost 95 usd for a treatment and 5.50 euros or about 6 usd in Spain and in all my years of nursing have never seen it prescribed. Yes a revamping of “the system” is the right thing to do.

4 Likes

Evidently this forum is on a knee jerk cynical response mode.

Every person’s action is double and triple divined for its hidden undertones.

Good god. Try to get through the day accepting the person next to you as possibly having an honest action, nothing more.

No interpretations, no glorious insights into their hidden agenda, no soothsaying into the future about what this REALLY means.

Maybe come to the table oneself, with something more than a cynical knee jerk response mode.

2 Likes

It isn’t necessarily cynicism to resist being swayed by fluff. That is a touching picture, but it reminds me of another touching picture of another presidential candidate who similarly said “I’ve got this”:

tinyurl (dot) com/vpthq3j

4 Likes

Of Course she’s a role model, and I’d like to through another in there (Tulsi), though of course I’m a Russian asset. Hopefully this thread can spiral into “How do we Consider people as Role Models?” i.e. attainment./status, words/perception, actions/accomplishments… I know there’s no standard, but are there standard questions you ask before showcasing the role model to your children? (seriously asking)

1 Like

It is very obvious that this community of readers believes that only Bernie can deliver for us. Well I believe you are wrong! Bernie has worked as a government servant for a long time but that doesn’t make hIm a G-D. I worked for Bernie’s campaign in 2016 and he should have been the nominee. But his time has come and gone. The US does NOT NEED another old white man, no matter how much I like him. Therefore I am supporting Warren in 2020. But of course the media has refused to cover her fairly or effectively, mainly because she is a woman. I will sit out if any of the general if any of the centrist candidates are nominated and will leave the democratic party after 45 years. Where Trump is hastening our demise, the centrist will only slow down the demise of our democratic republic. Warren has many plans to change the course.

Dear Sunshine. I think it’s nice that you’re so nice, but what about Liz’s support for the coup in Bolivia? Don’t you think there are girls down there that need a hug too, not a rape by the coup perpetrators.

5 Likes

Dear Jessejean,
No candidate is perfect. Bernie voted for the 1984 crime bill. MANY AMERICANS have spent countless days/months/years in jails because of that bill, when they should not have. But that doesn’t mean Bernie’s a bad candidate. There are no perfect candidates. I believe she will make a difference in our wonderful republic.

1 Like

I support your right to prefer a candidate based on sexism.

That said, two things:
Liz Warren’s attempt to “Steal the Bern” is a fail.
How’d that “I’m with HER” thing work out in 2016?

2 Likes

Right, a little much.

As for what kind of a person she is … I do still have to ask, why is she running? Why is she posing as a populist? There is clearly a lot of pretense and “me-too” in relation to Sanders’ proposals. I had always thought relatively positively of her, but as I’ve watched this campaign, I’ve had progressively more questions. She’s played the Native-American card in disturbing ways; how about the woman card? And what of her ongoing relationship to Clinton? And that she’s going to take corporate (billionaire) money come the general? It’s disturbingly convenient that she’s splitting the Sanders vote.

And as for her foreign policy … Nothing needs be said.

2 Likes

In a word: BULLSHIT! (Nothing personal)

1 Like

In another word: BULLSHIT! NOW it’s personal!!! That is judgmental based on race and age and sex! You should be ashamed for even writing it!!! If you could look past your bullshit prejudices, you would realize that it is what he is FIGHTING FOR that is most important; not age, sex, or skin color!

2 Likes

TO: Oatstraw and Carlmarks
I like Bernie. Think what you want about Warren. She isn’t stealing anything from Bernie. She is very much a populist; but from what you’re saying, if you believe in the same things as Bernie, you are stealing from him.
Also, I guess you know everything about your family history. Never had a grandparent pass something on to you that you couldn’t prove and never investigated? The Native American thing is a nit and you know it. She backtracked on taking money for the general, catch up. Oh, I guess a progressive candidate can’t backtrack.

Regarding 2016, I campaigned in a southern state for Bernie. It’s not my fault the nomination was stolen from him. Wasn’t a big fan of Hillary but she would have a least made a better president than the man in the White House today. And yes, it’s time for a woman to be elected president.

Something tells me from your comments you may be a bit misogynistic.
Too many men have **** the US, both our domestic and foreign policies.
Finally,you know nothing about me or my beliefs. I’m a whole lot more like Bernie than you will ever be.