Home | About | Donate

The Right-Wing Coup in Bolivia Is Exactly the Opposite of What Democracy Looks Like

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/14/right-wing-coup-bolivia-exactly-opposite-what-democracy-looks

1 Like

So when are elections going to be held? Will MAS be permitted to run or will they be viciously attacked? I predict a long delay, with a fig leaf racist dictatorship in place to get people off the streets and demobilize the popular forces, like in Sudan, or a farcical nonelection like in Algeria or Egypt.

3 Likes

I agree with Michael Paarlberg of the Washington Post. Whatever one thinks that Morales, the bigger problem isn’t that there was a coup or whatever you want to call it. The bigger problem is that there are currently no key political players left in Bolivia with a reliable committment to democratic norms and institutions. Morales (who’s ambitions to stay in power were themselves highly troubling) is out, he groomed no successor or left alternate figures for the left to rally around, and the right wing in Bolivia cannot be trusted in this regard. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/11/13/its-not-just-coup-bolivias-democracy-is-meltdown/#comments-wrapper

1 Like

They will probably delay the elections long enough for foreign corporations to claim the lithium.

How one views this coup is a clear litmus test for one’s views on democracy. The republicans are definitely proving that the only time they support democracy is when they win- even when voting never even occurred and the change in power occurred through force and violence.

y’know that may have been deliberate on his part and that would be more reason to respect Morales.
Chavez groomed Maduro and see how that turned out? I don’t blame Morales for not grooming anyone because, if he had, that person could possibly have been viewed with suspicion. Better to remain suspicion free.

1 Like

" You gringos don’t need no stinkin’ badges; you’ve got the NY Times and WaPo to police the world for Christo-Fascists, owned by Super-Racist Oligarchs. " See Below:
The sickness runs deep in you and your white compatriots. The military and economic power to allow your leadership to play god and, kill whatever messes up your Day Planner, reveals the true passion of fascists. " The ( gravy ) trains will run on time or there will be hell to pay. "
Take your WaPo and NY Times, your stooges in the MSM and shove them up your stinking arses.

4 Likes

If this kind of thing – continuing with imperial folly until the collapse – is your idea of exceptional leadership, then vote for Warren, who is apparently okay with what we’re up to down there right now.

1 Like

Hi, there was no (right, left or centre) coup in Bolivia. And Morales did not ‘graciously’ concede to hold new electiins:he had already lost on a referendum to allow him to run for the fourth time, ignored it, ordered (his party controlled) electoral tribunal to habilitate him based on his ‘hunen rughts’ to be a presidential candidate for ever. How would you, North Americans, feel if your president (who by the way remind us a lot of ours) decided to bend the rules (of course he already did) and planned to stay president for the next 20 years? Not pretty, ha? Well, I am a Bolivian Anthropologist (PhD, in case it matters) who has worked and lived along with people in the poorest areas of my country fir years, and gave lived through different coups in the 7ps and 80s, many supported by the USA, and I’m telling you, there was no coup in Bolivia this week. There was a huge fraud, and violent attacks against peaceful protesters. Things git nasty, yes, people were killed, houses were burned, 64 public buses were also burned, young students were captured and raped. Most of these was ordered and/or done by morales government directly. Some houses of his supporters and allies were burned, but it was mostly the opposition that were the victims. He’s had truckloads if money taken straight to the airport whichh was then closed for his exclusive use, and made sure before leaving that chaos and destruction would reign. He used indigenous people as cannon fodder, threatened them that without him they will lose their lands. All lies. I’m not sure what the transitional government will be like, but at least we have a chance to rebuild our democracy. His main contender in the elections was called a fascist, no true. He facilitated the transition towards democratic elections that evo won. Could go on and on, please just make ure you inform yourselves better before publishing stuff just like that. People are being terrorist as I write these lines in my country! And hopefully the new government will bring some peace…

Peace through coup to you, too.
The christo-fascist " everyman " has spoken? His street agitprop sounds like something from a bad Cheech & Chong outtake. Surely, you can find a more convincing liar, than this. Try harder, or as we in America say, " Semper Fedelis to the plastic Jesus, sitting on the dashboard of my electric car "

2 Likes

Ha, ever been to South America? Do you even know America US a continent and you are only part of a part of IT? DO YOU KNOW ANY bolivianos? Do you know me, to call me names? You can call me anything you want, chrsirt face, devil worshiper, liar, sounds all like empty insults fro a smug, self adoring person whose arrogance, as usual comes from ignorance. Chau, not coming back, keep up the masturbatory exercises, you’re mastering them…

Joined one day ago and the only issue of interest to you in this progressive community is news about Bolivia.

Where was your voice on issues like the Coup in the Honduras, the removal of Aristide from power in Haiti, the forced removal of Qaddafi in Libya, the attempts to impose upon Syria a western friendly Government by Western powers, the bombing of Yemen? The issue of homelessness and health care in the USA. The news around climate change and Global warming . Somehow it JUST about Bolivia and somehow you decided to get a screename to Common Dreams because setting the record straight on Bolivia is the most relevant of issues to you?

You are a bought and paid for shill sent out to “set the record straight” by the Fascists in Bolivia that took power illegally. I predicted your type showing up a few days ago and detailed the exact tactics you would use. This was a coup. Try selling your swill elsewhere.

9 Likes

I won’t be voting for Warren if she is on the DNC ticket. Mt primary reason is that she is part and parcel of the Establishment. And like Biden, not will change. Just another Obama in different clothes.

3 Likes

Yes to your 1st question. As to the rest of it, I merely called you a liar spreading fake news.
You should come to America soon; hell, you could be a Republican president or a prominent member of either branches of Congress in no time. All it takes is money, btw.
But, your comedic skills unfortunately lack the requisite tools for the job. Maybe Frank Luntz could help you have your jokes group tested. It worked for Bush.

4 Likes

In reality, traditional Native American society is mostly based on consensus, not democracy. Easy to see it was never going to work in the long run, especially with a strong dose of European descendants and racial mixtures. Guatemala, for instance, is mostly indigenous, yet elite Western-types have always run the government, mostly to their own advantage. Again, better organization, supply lines, and insatiable greed.

It already did happen here. Democracy was usurped a long time ago by corporate America. When America’s most popular choice (Sanders) isn’t allowed to represent the Democratic Party, it should be obvious to all that we don’t live in a functioning democracy.

3 Likes

For a “Bolivian anthropologist”, I have never seen someone so politically ignorant. At my University, there isn’t a single academic aboard that doesn’t see what happened in Bolivia as a U.S. sponsored coup. It is not just that we have tapes of Rubio and Cruz planning the coup. It is not the endless pattern of U.S. sponsored coups everywhere in latin America. it is not the fact that last week contra acts failed to materialize as multinationals tried to secure Bolivia’s lithium deposits. It is not even the fact that fraud didn’t take place during the election (it did, but by the right-wing), it is the fact that I have never met a single indigenous Bolivian that didn’t support Morales. I suggest that you return to La Paz and see for yourself how the economy over the last 14 years has improved for the first time since colonists first conquered this Andean nation. I’m not sure if you actually work for the CIA or some right wing organization, but your arguments hold no water amongst the well read critics on this website.

7 Likes

See every coup in Latin America. And after Morales couldn’t come to an agreement with US mining companies for the lithium, he turned to China. That had to be a problem for the CIA.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been to Bolivia from the Pando to Yacuiba and worked with cattle raisers all over including Chuquisaca, Alto Beni, Beni, Santa Cruz, El Gran Chaco, Tarija, Cochabamba, Pando and more. Furthermore my wife is good buddies with a couple from there who had to leave because of Banzer. They are now back from La Paz and they assure us by Facebook that you don’t know what you are talking about.

1 Like

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do.” : Samuel P. Huntington

3 Likes

Do you mean that coup plotting by the U.S., Canada and the OAS blossomed after Chavez died? Not sure that can be blamed on Maduro, who has made errors (mainly of omission, IMO) but struggles on against great odds to maintain the dignity of his country and people.

1 Like