Home | About | Donate

The Road to a More Just Society Runs Through Congress

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/05/road-more-just-society-runs-through-congress

3 Likes

We have one party that has proven that loyalty to party over country is their only hope of staying in power, which they cherish much more than governance. Too many in the other party need to acquiesce to corporate money to maintain their seats. All congress critters are forced to spend too much of their time fund raising, so much of the information that flows to them is through corporate lobbyists and not unbiased experts. Getting money out of politics is priority one in my humble opinion. Get to one person, one vote, not one dollar, one vote.

11 Likes

It runs through the streets.

1 Like

We won’t need ANY of this!! We ALL just need to win the lottery, right??!! God bless us, every one!!

1 Like

Damn Ralph! Pass that “hopium” pipe over here bro’… stop bogarting dude!

6 Likes

In 2004, I voted to put Barack Obama into the US senate. He was relatively unknown

and the others running for that seat were (now it seems) deliberately lousy.

For the next 4 years, I continued writing and calling Senator Obama’s office with

my concerns. As time passed, it became infuriating. The responses I received became

increasingly obvious loads of crap doublespeak and misrepresentations.

I kind of wish I would have saved those letters from him instead of throwing them into the

trash with a load of expletives. Those letters and Obama’s votes in the senate convinced me

by the time of the election of 2008 that he was a vile fraud.

So, Ralph, That is when I stopped being able to see the democrats and the republicans as

anything but lousy carpetbaggers. This idea that they give a rat’s ass about the vast

majority is ludicrous. They are incapable of not kissing corporate ass.

Resistance must come from outside of the sold-out theater of crap which is congress.

12 Likes

Each and every single Congress person and Senator must be given the choice:

~Serve the 1500 Corporations,
~Serve the 330 million American People, or

if you make the wrong choice, never serve in any government position again.

This must be asked in front of a camera for all Americans to witness.

7 Likes

Considerations for the hopeless ----

• You cannot get out of the game, short of death. Impositions by government do not require your active participation.
  • The Congress we have will not help you or me, so any road that runs through Congress involves voting out incumbents and providing dissent past election time. Nader appears to be presenting the easy side first.
  • You apparently agree that the two major parties are screwing us. They are willing to continue to do so without your vote. Vote against them.
  • Local elections and offices beneath the US Congress tend to be way more amateurish than national elections. That’s a good thing: it’s a weak spot.

It is apparently not getting better by itself.

4 Likes

Only when seriously organized and protected against the PO-LICE… For seventy decades the corporate/political/parties have been funding and legally supporting the buildup of the police forces big and small across the planet

5 Likes

wise words from The bard

2 Likes

Good photo to illustrate Jim Hightower’s words (paraphrased)

The only thing in the middle of the road are yellow lines and dead armadillos.

2 Likes

Right before my grandfather died, he started talking to his dead wife and the kids like they were still little children. Like my grandfather, I think Ralph has gone to his happy place in the past where Congress still answered to people, the media did real journalism, and corporations weren’t people.

3 Likes

Ralph is missing one tiny key to a successful plan. It won’t matter how many times our “representatives” are replaced or what they promise, they will be compromised.
The key to a honest, working for the people Congress, is removing all money from politics, the hard part is getting it implemented.

11 Likes

For those who are dissing Mr Nader I strongly suggest that you read his book and especially the one he cites in this article, Breaking Through Power: Its Easier Than We Think. In addition his weekly podcasts on fridays are timely, intellectual and fun.
“Why is it so hard for people to do the right thing? Ralph spends the entire hour with Amherst professor of psychology, Dr. Catherine Sanderson, discussing her book “Why We Act: Turning Bystanders into Moral Rebels.” is the latest and the topic included the disengagement of public in civil affairs.

4 Likes

Hightower wants us to believe it is a two way street, but both lanes lead in the same

corporately designated direction. The middle of their road is as right-wing as any other area

on the corporately controlled “bipartisan” street of neoliberal corruption.

2 Likes

I hate to say this, but we are a failed state. A minority rules, supreme court justices vote mostly along party lines, and people in congress can “serve” for as long as they want, among many other things. Some states might have to break away to make that point. It’s that, or an actual government for the people, and I just don’t see the latter.

5 Likes

The reason Congress approval has sunk to the single digits from time to time is because the large majority have been bought. Obviously the answer to Nader’s questions is No: no corporate politician wants any of those reasonable, people oriented, reforms to happen…and they won’t until we stop talking about that and start talking about their financial dependence…

2 Likes

Correct. Nader’s numbers alone describe our system. It is clearly a Plutocracy. 300 million people represented by 500 people, who are controlled by 1,500 corporations. How can we pretend to be a democracy? Nader’s propositions cannot change this system. Revolutions change systems. And not of the toothless Sanders types, but the ones that happen on the streets.

6 Likes

In the words of M.Twain: “It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.”

So, writing to Congress is what we need?

1 Like

The Road to a More Just Society Runs Through Congress

Since Clinton sold the party to wall street, IT has been running through Congress like schit through a sick goose.