Home | About | Donate

'The Road to Tyranny Is Paved With Corrupt Intentions': Transportation Secretary Chao Still Profiting From Asphalt-Construction Giant

'The Road to Tyranny Is Paved With Corrupt Intentions': Transportation Secretary Chao Still Profiting From Asphalt-Construction Giant

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao came under fire from ethics experts and reporters after The Wall Street Journal revealed Tuesday that she still owns shares in a major construction company that provides materials for road-paving despite pledging to divest from the company in the ethics agreement she signed before her confirmation in early 2017.

1 Like

Elaine Chao fits right in to Trump’s corrupt cabinet and creates another link between the corruption of Trump and the corruption of Mitch McConnell, Chao’s husband. Gotta love nepotism and conflict of interest - keep raking in the millions all in the family. These people are rotten to the core.

7 Likes

It’s hard to get worked up anymore on a single corruption instance. The whole administration and their allies are in it for personal or corporate gain and favorability.

4 Likes

When Thomas Jefferson wrote that the tree of liberty must be watered from time to time,with the blood of tyrants, if he were alive now Mr. Jefferson would probably say: " THIS CURRENT ADMINISTRATION IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!"

5 Likes

She and her hubby Mitch make a “fine” couple as they place their self-interest above the interests of the nation.

5 Likes

Funny about Republicans and regulators being married. Phil Gramm is married to Wendy Gramm, who was the head of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and Phil sponsored and shepherded legislation “modernizing” futures and options trading that ultimately exempted Enron from being regulated on various energy trading derivatives.Remember how that turned out for Enron and California?

5 Likes

It’s sobering to recall that Jefferson’s letter mentions “…the blood of tyrants and patriots.”

Make America Grift Again

4 Likes

nothing is free

2 Likes

Yeah, it will probably take the blood of patriots to water the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants.

4 Likes

Truthful insight. Mitch has also squashed 100 bills “on infrastructure, on health care, on gun safety, on every single topic that American voters say is important to them in their everyday lives — that haven’t just stalled on McConnell’s desk, but have been forwarded directly to the trash can”. He has, with lots of assistance, destroyed everything that democracy stood for and is a vile, loathsome piece of fossilized dung.

https://www.alternet.org/2019/05/mcconnell-sits-on-100-bills-as-the-gop-tries-to-blame-democrats-for-inaction-in-congress/

1 Like

Most of the construction industry can’t come up with kind of cash really needed to influence politicians. They are toward the back of the line, but live and breathe red state politics.

Aren’t they All profiting from something? This is the world we live in. Either Get used to it or Do something about it.

2 Likes

Oh, polticscorer, you can’t be serious that there is any corruption or thumb on the scale just because, “The Senate confirmed Chao in a 93-6 vote in January of 2017. Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Chao’s husband, abstained.”

He abstained, just as Trump’s first crooked Attorney General, Jeffery Sessions, recused himself — and of course Emperor Caesar Tumpius I’s second crooked Attorney General, William “I am not a crook” Burr, was exceptionally honest in his 19 page resume.

Now, if you can find piles of $1000 dollar bills bundled in their brief cases — that’s a different story.

1 Like

I forget where I read this, but somewhere, a nation is recycling plastic to improve roads, and it works better than tar. So. maybe these 2 greedy pseudo husband and wife humans will be run over in the road and vulcanized over by their company, Vulcan. That seems fair. : )

And as long as Elaine Chao is part of the Trump stable the filth will continue to accumulate.It isn’t illegal but it sure is corrupt and beyond anything the nations’ founders imagined. When will we fix the electoral college flaw? When does Kentucky fix Chao’s hubby Mr. horse manure.

1 Like

All if this corruption is always labeled as not being illegal, only unethical. So in 250 years, congress have never thought to actually make it illegal? Wonder why that might be?

2 Likes

Remember the fight the Democrats waged against these grifters? Yeah, me either.

3 Likes

OK, I think the field has been pretty well covered by people commenting earlier, but I can’t resist one parting potshot. What more–or less–would we expect from the Number One (as in “ME, ME, ME”) Republican Couple of the former Republic?

It is also worth noting that most of these corrupt pieces of shits, and especially those who serve them, all call themselves patriots. Some of them even believe it.

2 Likes