Home | About | Donate

The Rule of the Uber-Rich Means Either Tyranny or Revolution

The Rule of the Uber-Rich Means Either Tyranny or Revolution

Chris Hedges

At the age of 10 I was sent as a scholarship student to a boarding school for the uber-rich in Massachusetts. I lived among the wealthiest Americans for the next eight years. I listened to their prejudices and saw their cloying sense of entitlement. They insisted they were privileged and wealthy because they were smarter and more talented. They had a sneering disdain for those ranked below them in material and social status, even the merely rich. Most of the uber-rich lacked the capacity for empathy and compassion.

8 Likes

I just don’t see how Hedges’ revolution comes to pass when we can’t even shake off the chains of our 2-party farce.

16 Likes

Coming soon on Pay-Per-View: “The Blue Wave vs. Election Fraud.”

4 Likes

Blessings to CD for continuing to re-publish Hedges’ Monday essays.

Blast all the trivial argumentation in these threads about Democratic Party politics. We have much more pressing, immediate, existential issues. The Democratic Party is a cesspool of distraction of energy for the necessary actual system change.

19 Likes

Chris Hedges explains much better than I can, what I’ve been saying. Protesting these people will have a very limited effect, if any at all. They have no heart or compassion.

11 Likes

I think I’m gonna be sick just looking at the picture.

4 Likes

I experienced this first hand when in college I made friends with a student of a very wealthy family and he invited me to dinner at his parents mansion and after dinner he asked me to reimburse him for the dinner and of course, I thought he must be joking until he gave me the bill!

3 Likes

Oh my God! Chris Hedges has put the naked Emperor up on a stage–but is anyone really looking? I wonder, when I see the laughing faces of people standing behind Trump when he’s giving one of his obscene speeches. I am flummoxed. My jaw drops. Are these people human? How can they believe what comes out of Trumps mouth when it is so acid and acrid that the stench permeates the entire town?!

So what would happen if the dollar becomes worthless? Would that change the uber-rich? Or do they have wealth in something other than money?

4 Likes

Aristotle was correct. I choose Revolution!

10 Likes

This essay is so perfect that looking for the most important points to highlight, becomes very difficult. Every sentence in this article is important. It is a masterpiece, one of the many that
Chris Hedges has written.

I am about 2/3rds through his latest book, AMERICA: The Farewell Tour. It is an excellent book, one which I recommend to all those who visit CD.

14 Likes

Especially the “cocktail weinie”.

5 Likes

The rich tend to marry the rich. Given they represent 1 percent of the population this tends to mean a very limited genetic pool. Generally , a species with a limited genetic pool will be unlikely to evolve or progress. From a genetic perspective , traits that might have played a role in an ancestor becoming rich , become reinforced.

The one percent are in effect parasites,using their inherited wealth to survive and prosper off the labor of others. They actually need the rest of us more then we need them. If we want to look at this from a Darwinian point of view as they are wont to do in proclaiming themselves superior , they add NOTHING to the ability of the species to survive. Indeed their existence plays the exact opposite role. They are a cancer.

14 Likes

Another book worth reading is Escape From Freedom by Erich Fromm. First published in 1941 and uncannily relevant to our current times. Like the title suggests some people do not want freedom, they would rather be told what to do or not to do,how to think or not to think, and have their lives dictated to with lies and other propaganda!

3 Likes

That’s not his brain?

1 Like

“Hedges himself has written/spoken off these things many times.”

But here, Hedges does not say, “…destroying our democracy.” He says flatly, more than once, that “…corporate capitalism HAS DESTROYED OUR DEMOCRACY.” --past tense. Too late to bemoan the fact that we never really enjoyed a robust democracy. What little democracy we ever had, is gone.

8 Likes

So, did you pay the bill?
–or walk away from the relationship.
(metaphor)

Shantiananda, what did you do? (After you picked your jaw up from off the floor…)

Never paid the bill and was never friends with him again!

6 Likes

Check Rob’s reply.

1 Like

Absolutely and unequivocally true!

2 Likes