Home | About | Donate

The Sad Fate of America’s Whistleblowers

The Sad Fate of America’s Whistleblowers

John Kiriakou

What is it about whistleblowers that the powers that be can’t stand?

When I blew the whistle on the CIA’s illegal torture program, I was derided in many quarters as a traitor. My detractors in the government attacked me for violating my secrecy agreement, even as they ignored the oath we’d all taken to protect and defend the Constitution.

Americans are drowning in the anti-Constitutional conduct of a government openly hostile to the nation as a whole. Patriots of our republic have always risked their hides when exposing illegal governmental conduct, but never before has there been such a government so out of control. America's system of justice has become more like the whims of tin horn dictators and self absorbed demi-gods. The patriotic minded who still seek refuge in Constitutional protections are naïve.

Americans no longer have a democratic process with which to punish or reward political conduct. The body politic no longer has the force to drive our society towards egalitarian principles. Electronic voting has negated the need for verifiability. Our paradox is trusting a government openly contemptuous of "We the people..." and an opaque democratic process without veracity - controlled by government.

A prophet shows up--it might be Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed or someone else; and others, likely those enamored with the prospect of power build an institution around these luminaries. Then what becomes more important over time is maintaining the institution, rather than honoring the teachings that gave rise to its inception.

When any entity becomes concretized, its agents tend to work to hold it intact. That's what conservatives are all about. They work to uphold life according to PAST standards.

Iconoclasts come along who reveal truths that would challenge the stated positions of these powerful entities and it's more cost-effective to silence, punish, disregard, denigrate, or "disappear" them. And this goes back to the experience had by Galileo.

I am enamored with Astrology because it explains these archetypal components--our cosmic DNA--that give rise to specific behaviors in institutions, and very recognizable and recurrent characteristics of major entities. That includes the fate--and character--of nations; nor are these entirely fixed, unchangeable, or set in stone.

Within any society there are those who gravitate towards the protection of established institutions (church, government, corporations, the military) because they rely upon order in their own lives. The repetition of routines gives them a sense of order and stability.

Then there are those who take what exists and look for ways to improve upon it, modernize it, or spread whatever goodies it's got... around.

The polarized role played by the maintainers of the status quo (Conservatives) and those who wish and work to reform it (Liberals/Progressives) keeps the tension ongoing. Our elections reflect a choice paradigm based ONLY on these two sides to the so-called coin.

Existing outside of this frame are inventors, innovators, rebels, radicals, iconoclasts, and out-of-the-box thinkers; and these proclivities are tied to the sign of Aquarius. This idea of a "New Age" is far more than myth and any cursory examination of the degree to which people are living THROUGH their electronic devices (Aquarius is the sign that governs high technology of the communications sort) or otherwise ensconced in virtual reality is proof positive that this Electronic Age is in its beginning stages.

Also sacred to Aquarius is Truth. And Truth is always the language of iconoclasts and those outside of the established status quo. The reason this is the case is that Life was never intended to stand still. Every time Justice is held back due to the legal weight granted to what was true yesterday (and remains as a fundament of legal texts), it's an attempt to maintain a status quo that can be the enemy to life, progress, fairness, and justice.

Loyalty to the institution in the form of all pawns closing ranks to protect it--regardless of the nature of its actions--is another behavior that tends to recapitulate on the part of those who require ORDER in their lives (and small worlds).

Most readers recognize the way that the Shock Doctrine works to specifically capitalize upon catastrophe; but few speak about certain powerfully exploited psychological parallels. What I mean is that as war, job insecurity, and ecological & climate events escalate... it becomes more natural for many persons to gravitate towards those institutions that promise them safety and security. I believe this accounts for the rising numbers who worship at fundamentalist religious institutions.

Those inside the govt. & military & corporate COMMAND chains tend to obey their superiors in order to sustain these systems that in turn promise them (however falsely) a measure of security.

Of course, when institutions betray their own stated ideals, trash laws, lie to citizens, and do GREAT harm... the Truth Tellers are the only ones brave enough to stand outside of the temples that power built in tribute to itself. They are the only ones positioned to tell the rest of the citizenry what's really going on.

Society owes a debt of gratitude to ALL conscientious, conscience-driven whistle blowers. And the good news is, after this last reign of kings is taken down like a circus tent losing all of its air, what the earth's surviving citizens will build will HONOR truth. It WILL be a different world... one based on far more egalitarian values.

Thank you, Mr. Kiriakou. You and I share the same birth date.

I would amend your post to say that this entity is not "controlled by government," it is itself a corporate-mass media-military-government hybrid! Fascism and martial training fueled by corporate interests all hiding behind government's imprimatur: as in Secret, or Deep State, the covert nesting ground of the Shadow Elite.

The Greek word for “whistleblower” translates as “guardian of the public trust.”

Conservatives don't know the Greek meaning of "democracy" either.

One short, on target, tell all post that should bring shame to any Government official that actually knows right from wrong- The NDAA, Patriot Act and dredged up "espionage" bullshit laws of this faux National Security apparatus shows me their fear of A population that has been egregiously cheated, dishonored, oppressed and abused-

John Kiriakou is A man among men and has more human compassion and honor than any cheap trick Politician or security state weasel out there-
If these control freak despots in our Government had one lick of common sense they would right the injustices of these brave whistleblowers and atone to the American people they have so dishonored, before it goes on any longer- Before it is too late-
Any responsible adult knows this to be true...
Thank you Mr. John Kiriakou and the Honorable others, for all that you did, all that you are and all that you were so unjustly made to endure - We ALL owe you much-

You can't improve on his post with your overly worded, know it all correction- I believe the rest of us here are content in what he said and he said it well- Just let it be...

His post sets up a "blame govt." right wing meme. Government is supposed to be governed by checks and balances and represent the interests of citizens... NOT the 1%.

That is why I corrected the post.

So many right wingers rail at government--the same ones who then say they want "govt. to keep its hands off their Social Security checks." But it is govt. alone, when representing the collective We, the People--not We the corporations, or We, the Military Industrial Complex, or We, the 1%--that is the only bulwark that can stand up to corporate hegemonic control over all aspects of human lives.

Today's problem--which is also the definition of fascism--is that corporations have fused into government, or as Catherine Austin Fitts put it--govt. is now a subsidiary of the corporations.

Now can you hear me?

A blast from the past:

"Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process."

http://change.gov/agenda/ethics_agenda/

Consider yourself, stubones49, well castigated by Madame Sosostris. You should have been aware that John Kirikou's post was indeed in need of correcting by none other than one purported "to be the wisest woman" in the US. Be more careful the next time you confront her.

I ask the community to forgive me. I want to share a link with Siouxrose11 regarding the direct link between feminism and environmentalism and didn't know how else to do it. Please excuse my interruption.