Home | About | Donate

'The Saddest Thing Is That It Won't Be Breaking News': Concentration of CO2 Hits Record High of 416 ppm

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/12/saddest-thing-it-wont-be-breaking-news-concentration-co2-hits-record-high-416-ppm

3 Likes

Thank you Jessica Corbett.

In the meantime, MSM, pundits and too many people on the street are vapidly talking about who is “electable” and what will it take to defeat donald trump without even looking at the truth before all of us.

Soon people will not have the luxury of time to partake in pointless conversations----they will literally be fighting for their lives.
Many people are already in that position due to our murderous healthcare system and human induced climate chaos.
Bernie and all of us together 2020

15 Likes

Keep in mind, these are just readings from Mana Laua, out in the middle of the pacific. They are most likely much higher.
What is truly frightening is the yearly rate at which the rise in CO2 is increasing. It has risen from 1.5 ppm just twenty years ago to over 4 ppm this past year.
The Greenhouse effect is looking more and more likely.

6 Likes

Yes.
And there is global dimming and thawing methane clathrates . .

3 Likes

Yup, methane is definitely the elephant in the room. I fear that one day soon we will read about a town above the Arctic circle where all the residents and animals were asphyxiated by a cloud of methane.

4 Likes

The saddest thing ever is the breaking news will never be the reporting of the end of the saddest things ever perpetrated by human beings.

Instead, tradition and normalized insanity will just continue presenting the kinds of headlines we are conditioned to accept as legitimate and necessary.
The evolution of powerlessness…

3 Likes

If satire helps you with heartbreak, try this from my best friend in Australia:

Remember, put an “h” at the beginning of the web address:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmbvTvFQ3g

6 Likes

Thank you for that. The keeper line, " If terrorists had caused a fraction…"

Peace
Po

5 Likes

This article is one of the reasons we need to support ,nominate, and elect Bernie Sanders for President in 2020! Peace

7 Likes

Trust the Aussies to tell it like it is. Good one.

7 Likes

Since Australian has a fucken government are their elections rigged also?

1 Like

Do not expect any help from the EU:

ttps://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/eu-accused-of-climate-crisis-hypocrisy-after-backing-32-gas-projects

1 Like

I can’t say much about that. My buddy from Perth contends that it’s easier to change the government in Oz than it is in the U.S. because they can call for a new election without suffering through a four-year election cycle, but they’ve been swinging between ideological poles for decades. Like here, it’s neoliberals vs. the disempowered, so the former get lots of time in office. One big difference is they tend to be a lot less theocratic.

4 Likes

This is excellent!! Juice Media is definitely a keeper. Check out their Youtube site here: ~ttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRw8GAAtm27q4R3Q0kst_g

2 Likes

One has to wonder what it will take before the politically ,powerful, elite realize the urgency of climate devastation. The only scenario that I can come up with is until millions are dying and they finally see the emergency, much like the coronovirius…nothing will change …AND THAT IS REALLY SAD BECAUSE BY THEN IT MAY BE TOO LATE!

While the lack of the religiosity is a plus, their actions signify that the politicians have been bought by corporate state or are part of it.

1 Like

When I lived Down Under, I was always delighted by the cultural irreverence. For example, I saw a billboard in Sydney showing a forearm and hand placing a Snickers candy bar into a freezer with the caption: “Freeze your nuts.”

Here’s another commercial. I can’t find a better copy, and one source says this ad was banned. Enjoy!

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSKL3ohnr3A

P.S. I searched some more, and this wasn’t a banned advert. Seems it came from a British show called “The Sketch Show.”

Yep. That’s right.

The filthy rich and politically powerful don’t give a fuk about climate change or the extinction event that is under way. They probably think they can ride this one out in their bunkers while the rest of humanity and ecosystems are wiped out. They no doubt have a “survival” plan for themselves and some of their collaborators in the profitable (for them) rape of the Earth.

4 Likes

: A little known gas-well accident at an Ohio fracking site was in fact one of the largest methane leaks ever recorded in the United States lat yer putting out more than the last 10 years of cumulative carbon. This is not the feel-good garbage of the evening news but it has made a difference. Tipping points are so 2015. Only Sanders and a Green New Deal offer even the vaguest chance for a future for us.

7 Likes