Home | About | Donate

The Sanctity of Life

The Sanctity of Life

Robert C. Koehler

Militarized police, the omnipresence of guns, the ever-present possibility of violence and the common belief in an enemy (be it dark-skinned terrorist or basic bad guy) who is out to get us.

"It’s the default plot of the country’s entertainment and gaming industries, where the violence is always consequence-free." (Photo: flickr/cc)

And the caller in L.A.?

targeted’ So, random act, or?

Held accountable somehow?

More, please.

“The sanctity of life” is not a moral principle but a way of living.

All the wonderful folks who voted for Chump are proof that hate and regression are never leaving.
We have been electing increasingly unhinged people to the throne.
Reagan, Dubya, and chumpthechimp.

next up, Adolf Hitler on Steroids.

you know, whenever i see a report of police arriving to mange crowd control at big events like new year’s eve or a peaceful protest wearing helmets, riot gear and toting military-grade weapons, i cannot help but feel that they’re dressed to kill–or at least intimidate. i understand that at first the main focus for policing on this continent was to capture and return run-away slaves. there was a time in the usa when police walked a beat where the residents knew him by name. i’m thinking of that nostalgic norman rockwell painting of a nice police officer counsels a young would-be run-away boy as the two enjoy a treat at the soda fountain. these days we’re a lot of less picturesque videos of police in action. here we’re discussing fatal shootings by police, but all too often, tasers, water cannons, sound cannons and rubber bullets are used for crowd control. such tactics can cause permanent damage. remember when “occupy wall street” was shut down? were those officers “serving and protecting” ordinary citizens or the rights of wall street big wigs?

so, why do we need police?

Why police are so important?

Police officers play a central role in the law enforcement system. They monitor criminal activity, take part in community patrols, respond to emergency calls, issue tickets, make arrests, investigate crimes and testify in court as needed.

other than a couple of traffic stops i haven’t had much interaction with police other than a couple of friends in blue. very seldom are police ton the scene to stop a crime in process because they respond to a call after the perpetrator has fled the scene. i’m not sure what "monitor criminal activity means. shouldn’t known criminals be in jail?

a friend told me about his brother in wichita who drove out to pick up the lunch orders for everyone in his office. on the way back to the office he saw the red flashing lights in his rear view mirror and immediately pulled to the curb. he was sure he hadn’t been speeding, but the police gave him no explanation but searched his car while the burgers grew colder and the ice melted in the drinks. after finding no contraband one of the officers explained, “a car fitting the description of your car was seen at a known crack house.” something’s wrong with this picture, no?

issuing tickets is often more about municipal revenue enhancement than protecting citizens. on the other hand i often see people driving while yak, yak yakking on cell phones. that is not wise! most of us make the right decision, but some people require a law. i don’t know the answer, but our “great” american society is quickly turning into a police state. and i don’t feel safer!

I guess this “swatting” is the poor person’s alternative to hiring a “hit man”. Now all it takes is a call to trigger-happy police, and they’ll do it for free.

i wonder, too. maybe andrew finch made an enemy in social networking. i’ve heard of people who put their full name in discussion forums and then provide clues as to where they live. it’s when the person gets a nasty phone call from someone who took offense at her/his politics or ideas. or it could be something completely different. i doubt police in los angeles could act. such a sad case–and again the police shooting victim was unarmed.

i have said this story here before - new years eve 2007 we went to a hotel in Denver where there was going to be a cenlebration. Many families were on the dance floor, some in their seventies, other young ones.

I took my six year old daughter on to the dance floor in my arms. Immediately two fully clothed police officers got on the floor and pushed and shoved me as I tried to get my daughter to sway with the music.

I could not take more than three minutes of that

I am waiting for a public exposé of electronic harassment. I have met many fine people trying to find ways to deal with their role in post 9-11 as targets, in a program which according to one leak, was nicknamed Slow-Kill. Not usually minorities, not people guilty or even accused of any crime. Nice people. As one fellow said, it isn’t about what you do or did at all, it is about what you know that they did.
I have said this before on CD and the thread closes.

why would the police do that, i wonder? they turned what might have been a beautiful father- daughter moment into a less glorious memory. perhaps, however, your daughter learned an important lesson at an early age.

Had the police been invited in by the hotel? Seems to me that’s where your complaint should have been lodged. Or you might just leave. I wouldn’t take a young child into a building where there were police in riot gear (I presume you mean by “fully clothed”). I did take my children to the march in Washington against the first Gulf war, and spoke with them sternly beforehand about the possibility of violence. I’ll admit, though, that I was not prepared to see the riot-helmeted police lined up, shoulder-to-shoulder, their arms akimbo, outside the White House fence, and their motorcycles lined up at the curb. I still shudder that that was my younger child’s first view of “the people’s mansion.”

My skin color is described as “wheatish”

This is what is important to understand.

In the promotion for the event, it was described as one for all ages. The demographic in attendance indeed reflected this.

However every celebratory event, including sports ones, have been turned into a bonanza for “security” since 911.

I was not expecting any police presence at the event, and only realized they were there when they started to get on the dance floor.