Home | About | Donate

The Secret Money Behind the Push to Ban Abortion

The Secret Money Behind the Push to Ban Abortion

Sue Sturgis

Rank of Brett Kavanaugh's 2018 appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court among the reasons there's a new push to ban abortion in state legislatures across the South and elsewhere: 1

1 Like

One good resource on the background mechanisms being deployed is Nancy MacLean’s (2017) Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America. Specific mention of the importance of George Mason University can be found in it. The book has a very informative follow-the-money narrative.

4 Likes

Where those secretive ‘groups’ got their money is the operative question.

3 Likes

It is not all that big a secret, it has been going on for a long time. The myth that “pro-life” groups don’t have a dark side doesn’t take a lot of examination.

1 Like

I find it telling and disgusting that 5 SC judges are members of the federalists society, the group pushing these creepy right wing anti-women judges. Some how we must come up with a better vetting process for members of the court.
I’m reminded of a interview with O’Connor after she retired. She claimed her most regretful vote on the court was the 2000 election to install Shrub, and how she didn’t consider the fallout from it. I remember thinking, “are you kidding me?”, you were a sitting SC judge, and you didn’t understand the ramifications of this vote when you casted it. My opinion of O’Connor went straight to the basement.
I still believe Gorsuch is illegitimate, and needs to be removed.

3 Likes

Abortion, which should be a non-issue, is always brought to the fore as election times come. Politicians have no real care about it other than it’s ability to sway ignorant religious voters with an issue whose power they’ve always fallen prey to.

3 Likes

In the past I would agree with you, but with the amounts of cash being thrown around with this issue today, it screams there is something nefarious going on here, with a real purpose.

3 Likes

I would just like insist that we can be “pro-life” while supporting “choice.” We shouldn’t let the anti-choice camp label anyone falsely.
Makes you wonder if there isn’t some sinister reason to push for anti-choice legislation in a wildly overpopulated world.

4 Likes

Makes you wonder if the major push of the anti-abortion people is truly about life and death, or about having that weaponized topic to flaunt at election season as you say. But do the politicians really want to lose that hammer?

3 Likes

Non-profits should not be allowed to donate to politicians or political advocates. Tax breaks are partially funded by tax payers and those tax payers have no say who gets that tax break money.

4 Likes

There is a range to all this no matter how polarizing the issue gets. I don’t care for the term pro-abortion because of the connotations. I agree for such a personal issue we shouldn’t have to be in one camp or the other. In Sweden abortion is available to anyone for any reason that has a medical card. For about the cost of a doctors visit. It is a personal choice not a political imperative. Something the constitution here made pretty clear, in my opinion. I would add that the majority of Americans support choice.

3 Likes

Ok, but who’s writing the checks to support these ‘groups’?

1 Like

It is not a single answer but if you follow the links in the article it gives you the principle groups. Judicial Crisis Network is pretty active.

And:
https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/contrib.php?ind=Q14&Bkdn=Source&cycle=2018

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=Q14

I hope that helps answer your question.

Not really as what are listed is more group names. What is needed to be known are the corporate donors + the specific uber-rich people writing checks to them.

1 Like

Well yes it is a complex issue to connect all the dots, that is why they call it dark money. The link I posted has contributors. The same with religious organizations that function in similar ways. Just need to do a little checking.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgave2.php?cmte=C00332296&cycle=2018

All of the secret money, it’s not good for democracy, as far as we know Russia is funding this, knowing that these groups will disrupt our democracy.

I believe this was a major turning point for the world. And this becomes clearer every day.

Republicans do not want to overturn Roe-----this is the big lie! Why are so called “conservative” women giving the state power over their bodies???

We need real COMMUNITY HEALTHCARE CENTERS in every neighborhood . We live in a sexually dysfunctional culture-------We live in a SICK culture .