Home | About | Donate

The Sham Syrian Peace Conference

The Sham Syrian Peace Conference

Gareth Porter

I have always been enthusiastic in my support for peace negotiations, which have been neglected all too often in internal and international conflicts. But it is clear that the international conference on Syria that held its first meeting in Vienna on October 30 is a sham conference that is not capable of delivering any peace negotiations, and that the Obama administration knew that perfectly well from the start.

I think, contrary to what many people think, that Obama says and acts only on the information he has. He probably doesn't know that there was nothing surprising about the "moderate forces" joining IS or whatever extremist group: that was all planned and meant to take place. The US couldn't openly train terrorists, so they must be trained under the label of "moderate forces." After training, the "moderate forces" can then go over to the intended, extremist groups. Four or five persons can remain in the "moderate" faction in order to maintain the fiction.

Mr. Porter seems to step over Russia's reasons to be involved in this mess. Other articles posted here, however, point out that Russia already has enough internal problems with Muslim historical flare ups, without ISIS and other Muslim "outliers " in this old caliphate giving them more. Backing Assad and his father is what they've been doing for 6 decades, too. They have " skin in the game " ( $$$ ) and Mr. Porter doesn't appear to acknowledge this. Also, not one mention of Turkey's, and possibly Iran's, attempt to destroy the Kurds when some 20-22 million of them ( out of some 38 million ) want an independent nation. And, their own oil, too. Hmmm... Where's Israel mentioned and/or their linkage to funding and encouraging Assad's demise? Bennie the Net sleeps in the House of Saud quite comfortably. Which should give us all pause, as well. Religiously insane people aren't just shooting up the MENA; they've got Americans quite nervous around home lately and that b.s. just grows, and grows, and grows. Another hmmmm.... ( blowback ) The U.S. role in all this may be illegal but when has that little " thingy " ever stopped us? Pres. ObombAll is extremely patient and plodding regarding Syria but the overall problem with the U.S. in foreign affairs is we're just toddlers in an old world full of old squabbles. Ultimately, our goal is always money ( treasure ), but as Lowell George said, " the easier it looks, the harder it hooks; there ain't no such thing as easy money. " No kidding.

While Kerry was attending this so called "peace conference", the government of the USA was committing acts that were not aimed at ending the destructive conflict in Syria (that they themselves started) but were aimed at escalating it, by supplying weapons to terrorists ISIS and Al Nusra (Al Queda in Syria), and not at all consistent with fighting them.

The USA government is currently distributing shoulder fired man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS) to "select" rebels. Thats right, the so called terrorists that the USA claims to be fighting have now been issued with air defenses by the USA.
CIA, Saudis To Give "Select" Syrian Militants Weapons Capable Of Downing Commercial Airliners

" The U.S. and its regional allies agreed to increase shipments of weapons and other supplies to help moderate Syrian rebels hold their ground and challenge the intervention of Russia and Iran on behalf of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, U.S. officials and their counterparts in the region said." - Wall Street Journal

The current USA plan is to annex Syrian territory immediately on the Syrian side of the Turkey-Syria border from which they can conduct endless war, and supply terrorists with USA weaponry.
Turkey Goes to War

Currently the USA government is in the process of deploying F15c jet fighters that have only air to air weapons. They were not used in Afghanistan or Iraq. Given that ISIS has no planes these planes are clearly not going to be used for fighting ISIS. They are going to be used to fight against Russian planes.
U.S. Brings Dogfighters to Counter Russians Over Syria

If the Russians thought that the USA was immobilised because of the conflict between what it claimed to be doing in Syria and what it was actually doing in Syria, then they clearly failed to read George Orwell's book 1984 and totally underestimated the propaganda capabilities of the western media. Putin may well be able to play chess, but then so can the neocons.

" I misunderstood your point."

You did.:smile: I'm not making a blanket excuse for him, but I do feel that he might not know all the things that are illegal because he wasn't told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I feel that most of the time warmongers in the Pentagon/intelligence services and influential personalities close to the prez would only reveal what they consider to be "sufficient" info, either because they feel Obama might not agree to their plans, or simply to give him "plausible deniability."

Cui Bono? Putin is very smart and probably knows the answer, but like any good chess player is not showing his future moves.

I would sincerely hope we are both wrong, because if Putin has irrefutable proof of what it looks like to me, when he decides to make a move it may be the start of what the war mongers like insane McCain and fascists like Lindsey Graham and so many others want...war with Russia.

Even if Putin knows full well that that was true, I doubt that he would start to behave like GWB - simply because he does not want WW3. Most likely he would loudly proclaim what had happened, and then the entire western media would simply claim that it was a conspiracy theory, which it would have been, but then, so was the official 911 story.

Good point.