Home | About | Donate

The Significance of the 1619 Project

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/20/significance-1619-project

“The Constitution excluded women, Native Americans and black people, and did not provide the right to vote to most Americans.”

It’s extraordinary that in 2019 the almost mystical reverence for the “Founding Father’s” remains so entrenched. They were an ‘enlightened’ privileged elite, typical of their European counterparts, brought up
with an inherent belief in the superiority of the White man.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, … endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, … among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The blatant hypocrisy of this statement, made by a slave owner, beggars belief when we consider the history of the United States over the past 200 years. The first step to taking full responsibility for our history of slavery and the wholesale slaughter of the indigenous population, will be to free ourselves of this
unwarranted reverence for the “Founding Fathers”.

1 Like

The NYTimes telling the unvarnished truth about anything would be a real change of pace and I’ll believe it when I see it. If you want to see an actual plan for reparations with solid reasoning watch Marianne Williamson explain it to David Rubin and respond to his strawman arguments. Yeah, I know, it sounds like a horror show but Williamson sounds presidential while Rubin sounds like a brain dead, clueless libertarian; not a stretch for him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPhH5O6oMpE

Hi Slugman:
I also found it annoying that the statue in the picture with this story looks white. SHE is GREEN!
And also historically, the politicians were not all that thrilled about receiving the “gift,” from France but it was the school children gathering pennies to pay for a place for it who ended up getting the government to move on using it for a symbol. So it was those kids, a lot of them immigrants, who helped to keep interest in the statue! : )

1 Like

I was really stunned when my DNA tests came back and showed 1% Bantu. My sister
and 3rd cousins had the same. I knew my people started in Jamestown and searched my genealogy to find my ancestor as John Punch, sold off the captured ship and made an indentured servant along with others. He had a child by one of the white servants. He escaped with some whites and he and only he was made a permanent servant. Thus he became the first official slave in the American colonies. The facts are known as he is Obama’s ancestor so a lot of research has been done. Slavery seems have begun for the black servants not long after that. These Africans knew about farming and prospered in the first generation, nevertheless, and helped save the lives of many of the first settlers in this way.

Those who don’t remember are condemned to repeat.

Beware, it’s the NY Times.