Home | About | Donate

'The Sky Remains Aloft': Dire Minimum Wage Predictions Proved Wrong

Since restaurant workers are making a living wage, can I now tip only 10% or 5%?

You were never forced to leave a tip for anyone. Somehow I doubt this will have any effect on tipping habits

Especially his personal tipping habits. Which probably only exist in a majical pink piggybank, kept in a secret place, which he's filled with nickels since he was 5. Since I've spent considerable time in the Capital Hill area, the fearmongering by Mr. Friedman is hilarious. It's within blocks of some the most spendy areas of Seattle. Pike and Pine Street are just kind of hipster, shabby chic/goth hangouts for the rich, alienated children of Seattle's upper crust. But, like most rich, alienated children of the upper crust they never stray to far from the nipple. The Fight For $15 crew know the cutting edge restaurants in Capital Hill charge plenty, Paul Allen has big plans for the entire area ( gentrification writ massive ) and they've put all sorts of roadside attractions near a national landmark, Pike Place Market. Good job, Fight For $15. Now, go Fight For $22.50, Taxes Not Included.

Asking the question proves you weren't much of a tipper to begin with.

Do you mean that when people have money to spend businesses benefit? This isn't supply side it is demand side how can that be?

When you ask a server, and not the sommelier, what wine he recommends pairing with the menu item you order, that is worth something over and above, the cost/qualifications of a mere job. Unless, of course, you have the wherewithal to spend enormous time and money to travel to Spain, Italy, Thailand, Korea.... That, to me, is worth a few bucks. Eating at Burger King or Applebee's, not so much.

So we have 12 anecdotes from high-end restaurants and other small businesses and we are told "...nothing to see here. Move along now!" Somehow I'm just not buying the story. Why so adamant that all is well? Economic disruptions will always result in compensating reactions that take a while to settle out. The final equilibrium will not be seen for at least two years and there will be other influences such as revised tax policy, or changes in healthcare expenses to further muddy the cause-and-effect calculus. I understand the impulse to justify the dramatic move to $15 wages. I don't think this article does the job.

► No, not really, because they'll get fewer food stamps

I also read an entertainment article at FOX fake news about $15/hr was being rejected because people could not get food stamps

Any comments about what FOX fake news was publishing: $15/hr was being rejected because people could not get food stamps