Home | About | Donate

The Speech from the Women’s March You Needed to Hear

The Speech from the Women’s March You Needed to Hear

Angela Sutton

Editor’s Note: The text below is a modified version of a speech that Angela Sutton gave at the Philadelphia Women’s March that took place on January 21, 2017.

I am a black woman, a mother of two beautiful black boys, and I live in Northeast Philadelphia.

I have lived in poverty, in Philadelphia, my whole life.

Philadelphia has the highest poverty rate of any large American city. The face of that poverty is most likely a black mother, like me.

Yes, absolutely, we who resist, even though we may come from differing circumstances, must unite now.
Whatever issues are most important to us individually, we must join with others whose concern for human rights and justice makes them natural allies. We must present a united front, as the dark forces of neo-fascism, religious tyranny, xenophobia, authoritarianism, and oligarchy, are now even more powerful.

As Ms. Sutton eloquently points out, we must SEE each other. We must HEAR each other. We must SUPPORT each other, one for all, all for one!

Militarism, Social Justice, Environmental Protection, Animal Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, a livable minimum wage, Clean Water, Clean Air, LGBTQ rights,
Gender Equality, Nuclear Proliferation, Climate Change, Food Safety..........all of these are important! We each have our favorites, but none of us will
see much progress without the efforts of ALL of us.

The house is on fire! Let's work together, with love and respect for one another, and save or rebuild what we can. This is serious!

What ever happened to the nuclear family? Why are women raising children without husbands?

Because the men can't find the jobs to make a living sufficient to support a family.

Who would you rather sit down to cup of coffee with, this woman or some scoundrel President elect? Who has a better existential perspective?
Angela is aptly named.

1. One in 3 black males will spend time in prison, compared to 1 in 17 for white males.
  2. For every 1 unarmed white male shot by a cop, there are 19 unarmed
    black males shot by cops.
  3. Our prison system is a slavery system for mostly people of color, and Slavery is still constitutional (for criminals) according to the 13th amendment.
  4. "3 strikes you are out" targeted simple drug users, mostly blacks of course.
  5. The notorious 100:1 cocaine/crack laws Cocaine laws for whites. Crack laws for impoverished blacks. From NYP "what’s known as the 100-to-1 rule, federal law mandates a 10-year sentence for anyone caught with 50 grams of crack, about the weight of a candy bar. To get a comparable sentence, a dealer selling powdered cocaine would have to be caught with 5,000 grams, enough to fill a briefcase. Obama Fair Sentencing Act (2010) reduced the racism from 100-1 to 18 -1. So still very racist, but also eliminated 5 year mandatory sentencing.
  6. Black females with darker skin receive harsher, longer prison sentences than lighter skinned black females.

Ooops, forget #6 -- this was just about the disappearance of black males.

All things considered, the War on Drugs is a War on Us, but as it began as racist attacks against Chinese (opium) and Mexicans and African Americans (Marijuana) it still is racist. Nixon succeeded in correlating heroin use to blacks, irregardless of the truth, to further his Drug War in hand with the Southern Strategy. Crack laws were just the new form of racism in the War on Drugs (incidentally--what Pence wants to "further militarize" and increase dramatically.)

Brilliant speech. Economy of language. A short speech is the hardest to write, but can make for more impact.

Definitely alludes to Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man" whether she intended to or not, because she is referring to the same blackness, and its invisibility.