Home | About | Donate

The State of the Union in Six Words: Donald Trump Is Full of It

The State of the Union in Six Words: Donald Trump Is Full of It

Michael Winship

Watching Donald Trump’s State of the Union Tuesday night I kept flashing back on the routine I saw a talk show host perform years ago at the Kennedy Center in Washington– God help me, I think it was David Frost – in which he imitated a politician giving a speech that was one endless, meaningless string of empty, non-sequitur rhetoric.

“Where would the country be without this great land of ours?” the phony candidate intoned, a line I now discover was later appropriated by Robin Williams as part of his Ronald Reagan impersonation.

1 Like

Quite apart from whatever reasons Congress is finding (and not sharing with the little people) to not remove Don from office, what remains is the fact that he and his wrecking crew are a menace not “just” to America, but the entire planet. Reminds of what will we tell our children and grandchildren when they ask why we did practically nothing to avoid environmental catastrophe; same moral aridity dealing with the obvious sociopath that is Trump. Congress and the Courts are allowing him to remain in office. Remember the public comment that former CBS CEO Les Moonves made? To paraphrase, “I know that Trump is hurting America, but he’s great for the ratings.” Other networks likely feel the same. Profits over country, party over country. That’s Exceptional, all right.

4 Likes

and precisely who is “we” orange man?

3 Likes

By “we” he means the ignorant racist white scum of the US - anywhere from 60% to 75% of White Americans.

2 Likes

Not full of it.

He’s full of Shit.

See the difference?

6 Likes

The Trumpeteers had the House, Senate, and Presidency. Instead of building the wall or repealing Obamacare, the Trumpeteers gave Tom Brady another tax cut.

3 Likes

Itching for a victory he forgot to mention our biggest foe–ourselves (thanks Pogo). With all of his usual superlative salad he never got around to the main course, climate change. He is incapable of even addressing the issue as it calls for cooperation and not competition, the former of which he has no comprehension. There is no rubric that fits his pathological “world” (read Donald) view except, of course boasting about the US’ prodigious oil and gas industry. He is not even full of it. His narrative “is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing”.

6 Likes

The Moonves quote is essential to understanding the failure of the mainstream media to serve as our essential fourth estate for at least the past 40 years: “It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS.”

Chomsky’s “Manufacturing Consent” is as germane as ever. Since it’s publication, we have learned unequivocally that democracy cannot survive without a vigorous fourth estate (plus the education to think critically about what the fourth estate presents). Look around. Ours didn’t.

6 Likes

There seems to be no proper place for this comment, so I’m sticking it in here. I watched the clip of Trump driving around the golf course in Florida, or maybe New Jersey, we lose track. It was hilarious watch the clown cars darting around, must have been ten of them in one image. I suppose half of them were sporting mini guns and pistols. But looked like bumper car track or a go-kart track. Like a slapstick skit of the 20’s. I’m sure you can google that if you haven’t already seen it.
Now for serious comments this evening.

1 Like

HI GANDOLF: and the little boy named Trump was invited to the State of the Union to show that-----hmmm—well it’s unkind to tease children about their names and um… well…oh the little boy fell asleep with his head thrown back against the seat------and although they are not related, we finally saw a Trump at peace. : )

1 Like

And the prolife crazies do not give a sh-t about the planet!

1 Like

Why do reporters and other people keep expecting Trump to change, and act surprised when he doesn’t?
He’s gotten away with lying is entire life, he’s not going to change. I expect everything he says to be a lie, that way I’m never disappointed.

2 Likes

Has there ever been such a loathsome state in this union? Have we ever seen such a hateful, detestable, mean group of congresspeople suck up to a person even worse than all the negative words that could be conjured up? Alternate reality or just plain ignorant of true value?

While being forced to catch a few snatches of this heinous comedy, I thought of the only tolerable moments which were Nancy Pee’s facial and body language.

4 Likes

Can republicans and democrats be shamed out of all their corruption. Trump is not the issue-Trump is not qualified to be president. Both political parties should be embarrassed by Trumps performance. The foreign policy of the United States is a failure—all based on greed------and Trump is very transparent about the greed----along with democrats like Schumer and Durbin.

We truly see the nature of the beast in this conflict with Venezuela----The NYT arguing for intervention leading the corporate media. John Bolton saying in effect that the US needs to get its hands on that Venezuelan oil. And on the flip side new media calling out what is happening ----thank you Common Dreams , Democracy Now , Jimmy Dore , Real News , Empire Files , and Ron Paul for standing up to the CORPORATE MILITARY POLICE STATE!

4 Likes

Yes, when House Speaker Boehner invited Benjamin Netanyahu to address the House.
There was such deep suckage the entire Congress had to have several proctologists in the cloakroom, just to get their tidy whities pulled out of their bungholios, after Bennie’s lecture. Of course, first getting their loins ungirded took the proctologists a long time, too. It explains why they’re not on the House floor very often, possibly?
Trump’s suckage last night, and his sychophants’ reaction, could explain why they were jumping up and down and gyrating around so much. They may just have their undies perpetually in a bunch.

4 Likes

Ralph Nader’s post " Demand Critical Congressional Hearings – Long Overdue, Avoided or Blocked
Earlier this month I wrote a column listing twelve major redirections or reforms that most people want for our country (see: “It’s Your Congress, People!” Make it work for you!). All of which require action by Congress—the gate-keeper. Now Congress must hold informative and investigative public hearings to inform the media and to alert and empower the people.

Is very informative plus his link to a WAPO article called “Why Is Congress So Dumb” give some insightful illumination to the congressional deficiency and explains some potential solutions. In the latter case the author writes about the demise of congressional staff which are required to educated congress individuals. Staffing has become skeletal due to lack of funding. Instead we are managed by special interest lobby groups.

3 Likes

And the members of Congress are so stupid they don’t know who to listen to their constituents or the people with the money, the lobbyists. So they go with the money.

1 Like

And those lobbyists are all just doing their civic duty to inform and educate, the dears. It’s just for the likes of Big Pharma, Big Banking, Big Energy, Big Agri-Business and Big Insurance; who are just misunderstood, I understand. Doing it for god, home and country has never been so lucrative.

0 Likes

Yeah, I posted somewhere that I’ve never seen so much hypocrisy, sycophancy, and/or sociopathology in one room in my entire life. Dead Man Sitting (sic) right behind Dump made me wish it were so.

My other most ardent wish was for Kristin Beck, former Navy SEAL, author of Warrior Princess, to confront Dump…respectfully, of course, because she’s well-acquainted with military conduct protocol. Well, I’m still wishing for that as Dump and Orange Cabal slice into GLBTI rights.

1 Like

Michael, thanks for straightening out Dump’s lies about El Paso and quoting Sheriff Richard Wiles who also was Chief of Police earlier on. Richard should know—is the expert to ask!!! El Paso for YEARS was proud of the safety level of the city, and that is phenomenal since EP is sister city to Juárez.

0 Likes