Home | About | Donate

The Stories Americans Tell about 9/11 Leave Out Discrimination Against Muslims

The Stories Americans Tell about 9/11 Leave Out Discrimination Against Muslims

Deepa Iyer

Most of the undergraduates in my courses on Asian- and South Asian American communities, were in kindergarten when the attacks of 11 September 2001 occurred, so they have lived in the reality of post-9/11 America for most of their lives.

SEPTEMBER 11th 2004, and I was pondering the state of the world, and the nation. My mind went back to 9/11 and what had happened that day, and what had come from it. I thought about the lies and spin, the questions about 9/11 itself and what involvement our own government had in it, either by design or benign neglect. I looked at the steady erosion of rights and the increasing dictatorial power being assumed by the White House. I looked at the rampant, up front, corruption fostered by Bush and his cronies. The increasing gap between the incredibly wealthy and protected and the vast numbers of poor, outsourced, workers and their families. Finally, I wrote 9/11.

9/11

I was awakened by the call of a friend.
I turned on the TV, watched the towers fall,
Over and over again. A looped nightmare
Of heroism and confusion.

My wife came home to find me in tears.
A retired fireman, all my mind’s eye could see,
Was a line of men climbing the stairs
As the towers came tumbling down.

All races, all creeds, strove side by side
In the poisoned atmosphere and smoke,
To save whom they could, a pitiful few,
And remove the remains of the rest.

The entire world extended its arms,
To hold us in our grief,
And help in any way they could
True “brothers in adversity.”

The White House boiled with rage
And screamed for vengeance and blood,
But the families of the victims asked,
“Don’t shed more innocent blood.”

But first of all the Afghan peasants
Died in thousands before our might,
While the erstwhile target of our wrath
Safely remained in flight.

That done, the sights were set
On the real target of our greed.
Control of Iraqi oil, no matter the cost,
Was Bush and Company’s need.

So a case was built, a tissue of lies,
To take away our freedoms,
Make us servants of the State,
“It’s the Iraqi’s we must hate!”

And so Bush lied and many thousands died,
And his cronies? They got rich!
And we became the object of hate,
A giant run amok.

The war goes on, as do the lies
And the growth of neo-fascist power.
A condition that none of us imagined
As we watched the fall of the towers.

A nation in poverty, with a few, filthy rich,
A nation in fear, secret police everywhere,
Citizens can be “disappeared”at will
Ballots suborned, politicians in pocket.

We the People must make a stand
Take back our country, our honor,
Or we, too, shall find ourselves cast
On the dustbin of history, in a river of blood.

Steve Osborn
		     11 September 2004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And so it has continued, and grown. Any nation, any group that disagrees with the policies of the US Fourth Reich is automatically classified as a terrorist nation or group. "Send in the drones."
* And so it has continued, with the profits to the MICC growing exponentially as millions die, or are uprooted to seek new homes, or at least a place where they are not starved, killed or tortured.
* Meanwhile, the Reich's Propaganda Ministry pours out hatred and lies, to turn the wrath from the government and the 0.001%, where it belongs, to the poor people who are victims.
* Goebbels said:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over”

“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.”
Joseph Goebbels, MiniProp for Hitler’s Third Reich
1897-1945
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Goering said:

• "Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same for any country."

Herman Goering to Gustave Gilbert at Nuremberg, 18 April, 1946
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And after all this time, it still seems to hold true. Operation Paperclip worked like a charm.
;-})

Have to return to this--sobbing too hard now...