Home | About | Donate

The Strength of Kavanaugh’s Accusers Is Truly Amazing

The Strength of Kavanaugh’s Accusers Is Truly Amazing

Aniqa Raihan

Christine Blasey Ford has shown remarkable bravery in speaking out about an attempted rape she experienced over 35 years ago.

But it’s hard not to fear what comes next. She will tell her story — one she no doubt remembers with painful clarity — but there will be no smoking gun, no undeniable forensic evidence, and in the end, Brett Kavanaugh may well be confirmed as the newest Justice on the Supreme Court.

3 Likes

I dunno. Julia Swetnick’s details from the same timeframe are so very extremely gross (and the credibility of her statement so unassailable), I’m still holding out hope for a last-minute withdrawal. Christine Blasey Ford should not have to face that charade tomorrow morning. It would be nice (therefore unlikely).

1 Like

I want to highlight this quote from the article that really grabbed my heart & mind:

"Not only has Kavanaugh been repeatedly and credibly accused of sexual assault, the president who appointed him has freely admitted committing it himself. How will other survivors find the courage to come forward if justice isn’t served at the very top of our so-called justice system?

Still, somehow they do. What’s truly amazing here is the strength of Kavanaugh’s accusers.

From the moment she came forward, Ford has been attacked by right-wing politicians and pundits. Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT), who was also present during Anita Hill’s testimony, has suggested that Ford is “confused” and “mixed up.” Even worse, Hatch has said that even if Blasey Ford’s allegations are true, attempted rape shouldn’t bar Kavanaugh from the Supreme Court." [My emphasis.]

Outrageous! Being a rapist or attempted rapist doesn’t disqualify a person from becoming a Justice on the Supreme Court??? Senator Hatch is a goddamn disgrace! I wish he was forced to be thoroughly tested for sociopathic tendencies!

1 Like

down the hatch! … get rid of the knuckle dragger or we’ll be forced to swallow the never ending flow of his tripe since 1977.

Notably from the wiki on Hatch:
" Hatch has long expressed interest in serving on the United States Supreme Court.[24] It was reported that he was on Ronald Reagan’s short list of candidates to succeed Lewis F. Powell Jr. on the Supreme Court, but was passed over at least in part because of the Ineligibility Clause.[25] Despite that, he vocally supported Robert Bork, who was chosen instead.[26] After Bork’s and Douglas H. Ginsburg’s nominations to the seat faltered, Anthony Kennedy was confirmed to fill the vacancy. Hatch was also mentioned as a possible nominee after George W. Bush became president. Following the appointments of John Roberts and Samuel Alito, a potential appointment became unlikely. Hatch’s advanced age now makes him a very unlikely Supreme Court nominee. However, after the death of Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) had suggested him as a nominee. The nomination instead went to Neil Gorsuch."

The psychology of power and a life-long ‘wannabe’? “the paradox of power” and the legacy of Machiavelli

1 Like

Thanks for all this info on Hatch!

Down with hatchet man Hatch!

This spoke to me.

Anytime those of us of the #MeToo movement, or those with friends and relatives who are rape survivors see this happening all over and over again on such a grand public scale. Well I would say it is not just a “strange feeling to watch it play out”, but truly Kafkaesque, :

"characterized by nightmarish settings in which characters are crushed by nonsensical, blind authority. Thus, the word Kafkaesque is often applied to bizarre and impersonal administrative situations where the individual feels powerless to understand or control what is happening."

1 Like

It would appear the only avenue left comes in November !!

I once read a really wonderful speech by a giant of a woman, and a black woman who had worked every job that men had done and bested them. It’s a wonderful speech and it’s called “And Ain’t I a Woman?” The woman’s name was Sourjourner Truth. I wish I could find it again-----but women really need to read this speech , and men too----but not the stupid men, because I don’t think they would understand.

OMG, there are millions of comments on her speech and the worst speeches have people writing in dialect: : 0
So there are copies of different types of several speeches and this one is the clearest one in regular English. I think all men and women should read it, because of NOW. : )
“AIN’T I A WOMAN?” SojournerTruth,Feminist.com

The dialect ones are just awful, but it’s a wonderful speech for all men and women for right now----people just need to listen : )

This is outrageously and absolutely not true!

Nothing I have ever written or said supports your vicious slander or libel against my good reputation!

Your false accusation against me disqualifies you from any further conversation! Please go away!

I, too, have severely suffered the abuses of power by the Kafkaesque corporate-state evil-axis.

I can confirm the truth of your statement – which covers a wide range of issues, not only sexual crimes.

1 Like

In fact, you made me think how analogous say, 4th Amendment intrusions (like having to pee for just about any employer for any job, you can be pulled over and searched for no reason, 10-20 times more likely if black etc) are to sexual assaults. For example, the multitude of Native American females strip searched in pipeline protests. Ultimately, it is all about hate, power, control and in the case of this story–money.

1 Like

I strongly agree!

Let me just add that the root causes of all of those evil, core motives are many severe psychopathologies.

In the words and actions of our mis-leaders (especially Republican reactionaries, but also many Demn centrists), I see clear signs of malignant narcissism, anti-social personality disorder (sociopathy/psychopathy), sadism, and other mental illnesses, psychological problems, personality disorders, and behavioral deformities!

We, the common people, urgently and desperately need to demand that all candidates and nominees for power (especially in government, big business, the military, and educational institutions) are psychologically tested by independent experts – to screen out and prevent harmful persons from gaining power over all of us!

Amen! (strong word for an agnostic)

1 Like