Home | About | Donate

The Supreme Court Needs to Protect Trans People from Discrimination

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/11/supreme-court-needs-protect-trans-people-discrimination

1 Like

Discrimination against LGBTQ folk is discrimination based on their sex.

For instance. You have two people who fall in love with women. To discrimate against those who are female who fall in love with women is to do so because they are female, since those who discrimate like this don’t discrimate against males who fall in love with woman, because they are males.

In the same way those who discriminate against Transgender folk are discriminating based on their assigned sex at birth. You have two men, both look like men, act like men, and have legal status as men. But one was assigned as male at birth and one was assigned as female at birth. If one discriminates against the Transgender Man it is precisely because of their assigned sex at birth- discrimination based on sex.

Even if one rejects that Transgender folk are their target gender, it is still discrimination based on sex to discrimate against them. It’s saying the Transgender person living as a man can be denied their civil rights for doing the same thing in presentation, action, and life that a male can do and be accepted, but they can’t because they are really "female in the mind of the person rejecting them. Obviously discrimination based on sex.

3 Likes

They aren’t going away. Better they work than use public assistance.

1 Like

Exactly. Well put. Legal and political perspective. Here’s another POV: Mother Nature

It’s doubly unfortunate that this is all happening because of religions’ ignorance and misinterpretations of (patriarchal and fragile sense of manhood) bibles. Very sound advances in reproduction science have proven that sexual variations are determined in utero. Genes and hormones. The range is from homosexual to transgenders to intersexed individuals (politically incorrect outdated term hermaphrodite) to heterosexuals. Ignorant politicians take their cues from even more ignorant religious “leaders.” And I’ve never heard of a politician making any attempt to learn about the biochemistry of in utero development.

I’ve posted before that doubters judging the above folks and declaring they’re violating nature should check out the huge tome Biological Exuberance by Bruce Bagemihl. What??? Gay beetles? Gay fish?? Gay penguins?? Gay giraffes and dolphins?? Was god stoned on the day the animals were created? /s

3 Likes

And better they work than wind up, bludgeoned, in ERs or dead on the streets.

1 Like

Hi ToniWintroub:

As long as people bring up God, then people who are being discriminated against should ask, " Does God make mistakes?" A lot of people would probably say, .'No."
And if NO,“is their answer— then wouldn’t all people who are born be perfect just the way they are? Besides, if all issues had to be decided on” similarity-"—then art , music, government, law, science, math , and basic humanhood would not have advanced at all.

3 Likes

What is really odd to me is…all over the globe there are societies that actually celebrate the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and whatever genders. They have special places within their societies for them and they are not subservient. They aren’t second class or less. CNN just had a piece on them in Tahiti. I have seen articles about them in Mexico, India and the Orient. But here in amurika we must come from the cookie cutter and be purfeck and it makes me sick. I don’t care where you are or who you are on this planet, your shadow is just like mine. If gawd created man in his image we would be invisible, from that great Monk on SNL :-))) Just think of what a blessing diversity is, without it we could all be like ___________ insert your worst nightmare in the blank. Hate and fear of the “other” is a disease. I researched it, wrote a lengthy piece on it, had it posted on my website, referred people to it and could get no one interested. So we have people being killed because they are not from the cookie cutter. It’s sick, it’s sad and I’m sorry it is this way.

1 Like

The LGBTQI community has to be prepared to continue the fight for equal rights now more than ever. The US fascists will not cease their agenda to go after the most disenfranchised, the most vulnerable in society:

1 Like