Home | About | Donate

The Trade Deal Which Fines Governments for Acting on Climate Change

The Trade Deal Which Fines Governments for Acting on Climate Change

Pia Eberhardt, Cecilia Olivet

Twenty years ago, and without any public debate, an arcane international agreement entered into force. The Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) gives sweeping powers to foreign investors in the energy sector, including the peculiar privilege to directly sue states in secret international tribunals arbitrated over by three private lawyers.

1 Like

Next up the Mafia will sue Governments for passing laws that interfere with profits made from Extortion, Prostitution , Drug dealing and running protection rackets which begs the question.

How are these Corporate entities different from the Mob in any case? They commit the same crimes using the same methodology.

5 Likes

I have been bringing up these things to posters here about things like NAFTA, which they seem to think is a trade deal. They aren’t, they are investor rights agreements. Read the investor state dispute provisions in NAFTA (Chapter 11 and Chapter 19). Similar provisions are found in every other similar trade deal, and at the WTO, would have been at the TPP too.

3 Likes

Governments and corporations should be held liable for not protecting the commons of humanity. The ECT is evidence of criminal activity.

2 Likes

And guess who was US POTUS when this “criminal activity” was ratified 20 years ago ?

2 Likes

Here’s a hypothetical to chew on:

Under ECT, could corps sue individuals who boycott their products, causing the dreaded Loss Of Revenue?

It seems this law as written guarantees profit as a right—but ONLY to non-human “persons.” Pretty sweet deal (for them).

2 Likes

Apparently the smartest thing an energy company can do is invest in some hare-brained project that some government will be sure to pull the plug on, then sue for the profits.

The name of my new power plant: Springtime for Hitler.

1 Like

I know little about these agreements, but was thinking ETC sounds a lot like the provisions in TPP. No wonder the press and public were locked out of the negotiations.

2 Likes

Can the rest of us get in on this plant ?

So far it’s just a couple of sheets of plywood nailed together in my backyard.

I asked my neighbor, Ed, to complain to the city about my construction to halt further building and forestall my profits, for which I could then sue.

But Ed likes it. Says it’s ‘artistic.’

2 Likes

I’ve been toying with becoming an automobile manufacturer under the name PHAT Car Company converting Plug-in Hybrid Automobile Tech models out of standard drivetrain used models. Who wouldn’t want their favorite old car restored and get 100mpg?

My point in promoting plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) tech is more than their very real potential to get over 100mpg. The Los Angeles Times ran an article titled “The 500mpg solution” seemingly sure to gain interest, but nooo. Why do automakers still pretend self-driving car tech isn’t a fraud? Why do they insist on all-battery electrics as the inevitable future, when the facts prove PHEVs offer more safety features and more technologically advanced means to conserve energy? Well, I believe the answer to these questions has to do with the Ruling Class keeping the rest of us underlings under their boot. We are little more than consumers, wage-slaves and canon fodder. Elon Musk sucks.

1 Like

Actually they are worse than the MOB. Arguably many, many times worse (although what is the truest measurement of evil?)

What IF?

Best laugh I’ve had all day.

1 Like