Home | About | Donate

The Tragedy of the Two Americas

The Tragedy of the Two Americas

Ted Morgan

As the world struggles to make sense of the 2016 election, my mind traveled back to two books I read recently: Eddie Glaude’s Democracy in Black: How Race Still Enslaves the American Soul, and Arlie Russell Hochschild’s Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mournin

Just finished a book called Tribe by Junger. It addresses these issues which have been simmering for decades. Social class expoitation or the need to not "see" fellow human beings seems to be psychosis at best a need to have more , a lack of control which is addresses in the brain, and a euphoria of groups getting a high when harming others. When people do not stick together or at least recognize each other authoritarianism evolves or at least is strengthened. How else would a Trump get elected? I still can't wrap my head around him being "leader" of the free world. Let's hope these lawsuits against him have not passed the statute of limitations.

"The Elite Corporate Media ...also deserve much of the blame...dismissive towards outsider candidates Trump and Sanders...they failed to take seriously either candidate or the pain they tapped into."

No, they took them VERY seriously.

That is why there was the Bernie Blackout, to neutralize Bernie's influence on a Populace ready and waiting to hear a message like his, and the Trump Free Media Time Mega-Giveaway to maximize Trump's influence, which served their Corporate purposes.

Right-O... as expressed by Les Moonves of CBS. "Leslie Moonves, the chairman of CBS, admitted as much on Monday. “It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” (about Trump's candidacy... and antics). ^..^

In a way, this article achieves what the mainstream media does -- it creates false equivalences between competing positions.

I understand that there is an idea of two very different groups that see themselves as outsiders, but the author intimates that it's two groups whose feelings of disenfranchisement are of equal merit. However, that is not the case.

I don't see how the fight, on the left, for social justice and equality, is in any way equal to the fight for maintaining the racial and sexual status quo on the right. If the members of the former feel like outsiders, it's because they traditionally have been excluded from the process of equal representation and opportunity. On the right, it oftentimes amounts to sour grapes because economic and social forces have changed the world and their place in it. It's maddening to read articles that give short shrift to that reality.

Also, it's unfair to say that each side refuses in equal measures to listen to and understand opposing viewpoints. That is patently false. With an obviously conservative sympathy in most mainstream social discourse, those on the left have no choice but to be fully conversant in conservative ideology. The inverse is just the opposite -- every stereotype and means to maintain invisibility imaginable are still around in one form or another, in either subtle or overt form.

So, yes, while there has to be more cooperation to achieve social and economic gains for the disenfranchised, it is maddening to constantly receive the message, subliminal or not, that each side has an equally justified list of grievances and circumstances. The viewpoints do not come from the same set of experiences and do not have as final ends the same objectives.

Please don't recommend to people that they get books from Amazon.
That's an example of an oppressive platform company which mistreats
almost every party it deals with, including in some ways its customers.

See stallman.org/amazon.html for the specifics.

There are alternatives if you aren't lazy.

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/boycottamazon/amazonshoppingalternatives.aspx

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

There are alternatives if you aren't lazy.

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/boycottamazon/amazonshoppingalternatives.aspx

That is true -- but my point was to criticize the article for recommending
Amazon. In effect, the article worked against the boycott.