Home | About | Donate

The Trans-Pacific Free-Trade Charade

The Trans-Pacific Free-Trade Charade

Joseph Stiglitz, Adam Hersh

NEW YORK – As negotiators and ministers from the United States and 11 other Pacific Rim countries meet in Atlanta in an effort to finalize the details of the sweeping new Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), some sober analysis is warranted. The biggest regional trade and investment agreement in history is not what it seems.

Yes, and because of the "managed trade" in media monopolized by corporate predators, most people in the USA have no idea what the TPP, TTIP, TISA, or other egregious assaults on humanity and democracy even are, let alone understand details about what their provisions would do to people and the planet.

We gotta talk to each other, and separate ourselves from the propaganda. And we gotta overturn the colonialist, extractivist, capitalist economic system that controls the human political economy like a pod-person.

Stiglitz, along with coauthors Sen and Fiotussi, wrote a very good short book, "Mis-measuring Our Lives: Why GDP Doesn't Add Up". It addresses the gross failure of the metric to evaluate the human condition within and between countries. He is one of the few popular economists in whom I have some confidence.

Stigletz' asbestos example confirms that TPP is more a mafia style protection racket than it is a free trade agreement.

Vicious. I mean really. Canada not putting smoking warnings=more deaths, and so many more deaths from more expensive medicine to environmental degradation to god knows what else?

This is saying,"Pay me to not kill you." I can't tell you how crazy this makes me and how absolutely insane our "leaders" are to even consider this!

While we sit around thinking about all this, those of us who bother, our 'betters" are cloistered in posh rooms squabbling about how to divide up the take. What a wonderful legacy for Mr Transparency and change we can believe in. The first of these agreements was bad for American truckers and timber industry along with being a boon to some of our worst polluters and easily moved plant operations. The second more inclusive agreement watched over our major export become manufacturing plants.there have been a few we never heard about and these last two will sign away our national sovereignty and ability to protect our environment and quality of life. I don't really know where to go with this but I am convinced that these people are Not on anyone's side but that of the Global 1%.
The only man or woman I will trust to sit behind the desk in the Oval Office is Bernie Sanders and him I shall watch like a hawk. Our politicians are selling our marvelous planet down the river and we won't have any place to go. This election could be our last chance to turn this around without a violent revolution and that will come way too late.

...but...but wait a minute...lets look at say, GE, or Boeing or whomever as an example, do they pay taxes? do they get subsidies? do they show a profit year after year?...if whomever owns us then can we not force them to fix our falling apart country? all the leaky water pipes, the bad roads, the crumbling bridges, the failed railroads...our current govment can't even fix gridlock, let alone our countries problems...if GE, as an example, owned us and they won't fix anything then we don't buy their stuff and their stocks turn into junk status and they become a chapter in some history book somewhere...okay...all of the above is a joke and a poor one at that...the big thing(s) about the abc agreements is #1 behind closed doors, #2 the loss of national soverinty (cannot spell)...with all of these "free" trade agreements we would no longer be the USA, it's my understanding that secret courts become the norm, corp's filing suits against govments because of lost profits, WTF??? I'm not too smart but I do know that there are only 2 things that matter anymore, money and killing things, nothing else matters: well maybe 3, spying on each other...I just up-graded my Mac to the latest OS and I have had to block 7 or 8 different programs from calling home like E.T., it even records while I save a page on the web as a PDF...money, killing things and spying...gawd what a world to be part of...oh, wait, what about The United States of Google??? no? how about The United States of Apple, aren't they #1 in money/profits and market saturation? Free Trade In Deed...

....But ...but wait another minute
Isn't this "signature item"a secret deal and isn't the signature item in the Iran/nuclear deal also a secret. deal.

The Great Compromising negotiator strikes again.
What makes me feel awful is that, in some of this, I find the GOP to be on my side.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If the Green Party someday achieves national prominence I will consider them. Until then I will plan to vote for Bernie Sanders.

If I only knew what 'storage on flash' meant so I could stop it.

just emailed apple...going to try and do a clean install of Mountain Lion, the last OS on disk which means the last OS you or I can control, this El Capitan sucks every click and keystroke into their system...if you have M/L on disk I'd suggest using it...use a VPN and TOR, they help a bunch...

Web, You're right, if only our MSM did their job as they were originally required to do, many would know. Ronnie R. did away with the Fairness Doctrine which had a say about truthful reporting. That failed actor began America on the down hill slippery slope in so many ways.

Any trade agreement that the US administration negotiates in secret should always be voted down by the Senate. Just as a slap in the face to which ever president who has the audacity of trying to hide the details of the negotiations from the amerikan people! After that impeachment would probably be a good idea!

Really enjoy that Canadian ham and Mexican tomatoes the result of NAFTA, but suspect after reading this article the results of the TPP may have far different
consequences. On the other hand appreciate this article by an economist I've grown to respect since his earlier " The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict."

Admittedly, my knowledge of micro or macro economics since a couple of college courses in the 1970s extends to careful shopping and being able to balance my personal budget and check book. Perhaps those responding have a similar background in economics to mine? However, it's unfortunate any discussion of the topic of the article has wandered far afield.

Time to STOP calling them leaders. And do not insult unfortunate women that have to sell their bodies by using the word prostitutes!
Bastards?

(edit... nah that insults the parentless...)

True.

That's why i used "". I didn't use prostitutes, though, so you must be thinking of someone else.

is that why El Capitan is so slow?