Home | About | Donate

The Trump Presidency

The Trump Presidency

Noam Chomsky, David Barsamian

Or How to Further Enrich “The Masters of the Universe.”

The transfer is from public institutions, in which voters have some say, insofar as democracy is functioning, to private tyrannies -- the corporations that dominate the economy -- in which voters have no say at all.

Democracy dies first; then perhaps, the Empire …

" The corporations that dominate the economy --in which voters have no say at all."

Why? Because the American Empire has a fascist,military, in which the voters have no say at all, that supports the US corportocracy and its war profiteers.

I thank my lucky stars all the time for Chomsky’s illuminating work

About analytical and critical reasoning, and a little forensics:

Avoid becoming fixated on or unduly distracted by pretty-pretty-shiny-shiny phenomena.
Notwithstanding the smoke-and-mirrors, focus on connecting the dots.
Look for the patterns, over both the short-run and the long-run.
View the micro and the macro ascpects, in light of history.
Bear in mind that things are not always as they seem.
Watch out for multi-use schemes and implementations.
Follow the money. (Cui bono?)
Pay close attention to exactly how various individuals,entities and organizations are or have been inter-related or inter-connected.

I have been saying that the Duopoly must die first, then, the Empire will fall.

Cut the head off of the Snake and all that.

I grew up in the country and my father was always using his shovel to kill large black snakes that came up to our house.

The Snake, the lying serpent who will bite and kill you if you allow it to, must be destroyed.

Words of wisdom from the wise old man. Read them, and take them seriously. Be thankful that we still have him. He is acknowledged, rightly, as America’s foremost intellectual. He has always spoken uncomfortable truth to power. He was/is one of Howard Zinn’s best friends and admirers. Listen to what he has to say. You will never hear him on the mainstream media, where he has been shunned for decades. Our corporate “masters” hate and fear him. That alone is reason enough to listen to him.

It’s great to see David Barsamian is still at it. His voice seemed to disappear for awhile. Looking at his bio-blurb, there is much more than I thought of him: primarily as a co-conspirator with Chomsky, who he kept on the board as Chomsky was being non-personed. But his other work is equally impressive. Tweet and social media “journalists” oughtta look at folks like Barsamian for what actual journalism is. It’s becoming rarer by the Tweet.

September Richard Wolff and Democracy at Work - good compliment to Chomsky and Barsamian’s interview.

You should check out his radio show/free podcast: Alternative Radio. It’s pretty good.

Noam doesn’t buy ‘the deep state’ !

Interesting - especially seeing just recently Chris Hedge’s latest article here, “The End of Empire”, in which I thought I detected a ray of hope.

Thxff I always liked what I heard in the past, nearly all Chomsky interviews.

Yeah, I liked all David’s interview books I’ve read, mainly ones with Chomsky, but also Howard Zinn and maybe a few others. David’s radio show is pretty thoughtful and has some good topics.

Hello Norm, “The Masters of the Universe?” I borrowed this one from Carl, for you. “The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.” Don’t get mad, get glad. Remember that one Norm. Regards.

Chomsky saying that “some of Trump’s most dangerous initiatives trace back to Obama initiatives passed under pressure from the Republican Congress” is revisionist history when you consider our current “Republican Congress” was the result of Obama and Congress (controlled by Democrats) 2009-2010 pushed through refried Heritage Foundation corporate welfare disguised as health care reform and other legislation that only a Republican could love. While the first half of Chomsky’s assertion is true, Congressional Democrats were complicit in those "most dangerous initiatives, resulting in the Democrats’ base staying home during the 2010 and 2014 mid-term elections, handing Congress to the GOP.

When Democrats stay home on election day Republican win.

Fortunately Obama’s TPP, TTIP, TISA, 2011 catfood commission grand bargain and tax reform failed or the list of "most dangerous initiatives would be much longer and the damage greater.

In 2009-2010 those ‘New Dems’ were around of a couple of decades. And despite his public relations award winning 2008 campaign, Obama’s history as well as what he revealed during that 2008 campaign itself painted a different picture than what his campaign of ‘hope’ suggested, as Chomsky had stated at the time. That we got refried Heritage Foundation leftovers for Healthcare was not inexplicable.

However, Obama was president through 2016 and to quote from that essay Chomsky referenced by conservative political analysts Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein: “The Republican Party has become a radical insurgency - ideologically extreme, scornful of facts and compromise, and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.” That’s a pretty horrifying description of a major political party, especially in a purported democracy. Yet to live and breathe is to know that it’s true. It was more than just Healthcare, of course. By the last year of Obama’s presidency the GOP were changing everything and doing what it damn well felt like. The refusal for almost a year to even have hearings for a replacement for Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, with some Republicans saying they’ll wait 4 more yrs if they don’t win the White House in 2016. And what the GOP are doing on the climate change front is a threat to the whole planet. While it’s impossible to overstate the failings of the Democrats, nevertheless, to omit the effects the GOP had on the Obama presidency, a presidency that was not that gung ho to begin with, is to do a fair share of revisionist history oneself.

This whole political vulgarity relies on having the American public believing that there’s no other way. Yet Sanders, promoting essentially New Deal philosophy, put the lie to that.

One of the most egregious misconceptions from 2008 forward was the serial admonition that Obama was a “constitutional law expert”.

Mimicking the DLC/Clinton playbook during his entire political career, especially making extra effort to thwart Democratic Party control of Congress in order to be able to blame the GOP every time he pleased the 1% at the expense of the 99%, Obama had a huge Cheshire Cat grin the day after the GOP took over control of the House of Representatives in 2010 as he told us he “looks forward to working with the GOP Congress”.

A real constitutional law expert who intended to serve the 99% would have made keeping Congress under Democratic Party control priority #1. A real constitutional law expert would have foreseen the GOP forestalling the 2016 SCOTUS confirmation .

A real constitutional law expert who served the 99% would NOT be collecting $400K plus per “speech” in 2017.

Chomsky, as always, gets it right. At 89, the man is a gift to humanity.

STILL a gift to humanity😉

Thank you Professor Chomsky. I looked up the definition of a political party and got:

“A political party is a group of voters organized to support certain public policies.”

My question is, if we can organize and vote on issues online direct democratically, why do we need conventions, political parties, money for these parties and the whole party apparatus?