Home | About | Donate

The Trump White House's Great Halloween Fear: Not Vampires, Not Ghosts, But... Providing Quality Healthcare to Every Single Person

The Trump White House's Great Halloween Fear: Not Vampires, Not Ghosts, But... Providing Quality Healthcare to Every Single Person

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Ahead of Halloween festivities on Wednesday, many Americans took to social media in good fun to post photos of their spookiest costumes—ghosts, vampires, right-wing hack Ben Shapiro, and many more.

1 Like

They want Medicare for All about as much as they want Justice for All…

5 Likes

Seema Verma is typical of the corporate vetted minions in D.C. A woman that was chosen because of her ignorance rather than her skill set. Healthcare is just one of the many corporate sectors that will do whatever it has to do to protect its obscene profits that depend on undermining the public interest. The problem is the system rather than just Donald Trump and the upcoming Midterms will reinforce that as people choose right wing Democrats over right wing Republicans expecting change.
The revolution is coming, but too many brainwashed Americans will side with their corporate slave masters because of MSM propaganda and decades of misinformation. As the entire world prays that democracy can one day establish itself in the world’s largest corpocracy, failure of the American people to do this, will drag the rest of the planet down with them.

2 Likes

Medicare for all would be better than what we have now of course but nothing will be as comprehensive as single payer government run healthcare where docs are paid a salary and bonuses based on on outcomes.
Further, in my fantasy of the day, I would nationalize pharma and put it all under the NIH. It’s where Pharma gets all the free research on drugs anyway. Less boner pill and cosmetic Botox drugs, more reasonable cost necessary medications. Aah… such a lovely dream …

2 Likes

I am with you. Now about “Medicare For All” what we activists are actually demanding is Expanded and Improved Medicare For All which is HR 676 and is a single-payer system, Bernie’s plan needs improvement as it stands and Medicare as is is woefully inadequate covering only 80% and with deductibles and co-pays–not affordable to many.

3 Likes

Verma sez: “It’s a multi-trillion dollar drain on the American economy that will bankrupt future generations.”

Interesting, since the U.S. system is the only one in the “developed world” causing bankruptcies among the current generation.

5 Likes

OK folks–now is our chance to push for true Expanded & Improved Medicare For All based on HR 676. Call every member in Congress to sound off on this critical human need and what we are demanding for every man, woman and child from cradle to grave.

Here is the list of all senators:
https://contactsenators.com/senator-phone-numbers

List of Congress people:
http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/mcapdir.aspx

1 Like

I hope seeing this “costume” makes SeeMore Vermin so scared she drops dead of a heart attack.

1 Like

The voters must elect Representatives and Senators who share the values of voters - not “values” as in no abortion for anyone, and no sympathetic care for rape victims; but values as in keeping the population healthy without bankrupting elderly people and young working people. Congress should not be encouraged to turn people into ATMs for insurance companies, hospital, and drug makers. The ACA was a good step, but in literally turning millions of people over to the insurance companies as virtual hostages. My employer, for example, chooses an insurer which has relatively low premiums, but has minimums so high, it does us little good. Doctors and hospitals are trying to squeeze blood out of every nickel we have. I josh doctors by sating that UHC made the Frist family billionaires, but is robbing me.

It looks to me like Medicare for All is turning into a rebranding of the public option. With very carefully worded issue statements, I expect Democrats to work up support, thank voters for the huge turnout and once again sell us out.

Sorry for the cynicism. I no longer have the energy to keep up hope.

Medicare for All as proposed isn’t perfect, but one helluva lot better than the fucking system we have.

The last thing we need are arguments against a system that would AT LEAST provide basic healthcare and hospitalization to everyone.

As proposed it goes way beyond the public option. Not a fair comparison at all.

Can you source the point by point comparison for me to make your point?

What you point out is why the individual mandate was so utterly unfair.

For those (in states that expanded Medicaid) who made enough money to not qualify for Medicaid but financially strapped regardless (vast majority of US citizens these days) the choice was to pay a fine at the end of the year (money they could have used toward some kind of healthcare, alternative, etc) or pay a still too expensive monthly premium on a plan they couldn’t afford to use because of the high deductibles.

I was in a State and did benefit from being poor enough (after losing my job over health reasons) for about a year, then (long story) ended up in a State that didn’t expand Medicaid coverage (ingenious health care law the ACA), and where you have to be legally deemed disabled or on the streets to qualify.

Welcome to hell, the USA…if you’re poor enough. And it’s just going to get worse, a lot worse.

The law as written expanded Medicaid in all 50 states. Like highway funding, states had a choice between Medicaid funding with the expansion or none at all. The practical effect would have been coverage in all 50 states, just as it was already.

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is who made it optional, finding it unduly coercive. This is simply a fact:

The ruling ought to scare anyone who thinks Medicare-for-All will be an easy sell, especially with the current Court makeup.

The Heritage Foundation ACA should have never been sold to begin with.

Medicare for All is a clucking challenge that needs to go to the clucking Supreme Court.

Pardon my clucking physical misery and clucking humiliation at being deemed a clucking sub-human by this vile clucking system.

Anger not directed at you.

You’ll have to clucking excuse me.

Having another late dinner here, because it takes me too long to drink my 2 smoothies a day that help keep me from losing more weight. Now, I’m going to dig into my soup that should take me about an hour and a half to eat.

Yes I understand you benefited from the pre-existing conditions inclusion in ACA, and I benefited from ACA as well in California.

But I’m now experiencing that other side of the law.

I know, I know, I know the Supreme Court intervened, and I also know that Corporate State Democrats did everything they possibly could to kill off any chance that Medicare for All, or the Single Payer bill in the House ever saw the light of day. And that political battle waged by Corporate Democrats against such still goes on.

You’ll have to forgive me for seeing that whole episode as one big drama of a fight for justice, and for experiencing now the fucking hell I’m going through wondering what the hell I’m going to do if I get to the point I can’t even eat.

Forgive me for the drama, truly. I don’t hold this against you but trying to explain why I leave out such details, as I see the larger argument.

I’ll try to be more accurate in the future.

Error noted.

“Medicare for All isn’t a joke. It’s a multi-trillion dollar drain on the American economy that will bankrupt future generations.” , Seema Verma says.
Sadly, her pathology mistakes the disease for the cause. The actual cause of American insolvency is the military budget of decades, much more important to extremists than helping their own citizens by limiting the weapons industry, Manifest Destiny and the oligarchs.

I get it, but there was a lot more in the law that got stripped once Republicans took Congress. The rural community health clinic funding, another publicly financed healthcare provision of the bill, was decimated by Paul Ryan. This was a Sanders-backed provision to the tune of several billion. Republicans wrecked it, and it would have been an important backstop in, ironically, rural red states. Oh well.

You also realize the Heritage Plan talking point is about as inaccurate as it gets. The Heritage plan required you to buy insurance, but there were no subsidies or insurer regulations in it. It was a marketing gimmick, not a plan.

It sounds like you live in a state where voters have chosen to make the law work like shit. I hope they wake up before next week and realize things can be better at least. We’d be living in a different world if the law as written is what was in effect and Trump and Trumpist states weren’t sabotaging it, as imperfect as it is.

The law as written, perfectly as written is still woefully substandard to every civilized nation on this Earth that regard healthcare as a right.

The individual mandate was a rather substantial contribution to the architecture, and one that Obama campaigned against.

The many betrayals during that period coming from Obama and out of the Big Insurers/Big Pharma servicing office of Senator Baucus inspired me the day the public option was officially dead, to drive to the San Diego Registrar of Voters and switch my registration from Democrat to Independent. As if that mattered to anyone but myself.

I’m very well aware of the many steps of betrayal these corporate servicing legislators have taken in regard to healthcare and I give them very little credit for a few piecemeal smatterings of regulatory constraints on the corporate tycoons that run the system, having left standing the core of that system which is one that continues to ruin people’s bodies, livelihoods, lives, and futures.

Damn them all.

You do know that premiums were set to drop had the individual mandate been left intact in some states, and other subterfuge not taken, right? There never was close to a majority for single payer in Congress in 2008-2009 so I just don’t get that criticism at all.

At any rate, with the law as written, Congress can increase Medicaid financing and widen its coverage limits, as well as broaden subsidies, with John Roberts tentative support (very important). Pelosi just spoke about this in an interview. Now that the law is popular, I suspect that will happen as soon as Democrats take Congress and the White House again. Just like Social Security, a law the Left once considered an FDR sellout to corporate interests, there’s nothing stopping the ACA from becoming broader, offering deeper coverage. That is, except courts, red states, and voters.

I agree with what you write, but would highlight that phrase, “as proposed”. The proposals seem to keep changing, between House and Senate versions, and then to each candidate’s own stances. What is proposed now is likely to be quite different from whatever form of a bill actually reaches the floor; I suppose my cynicism is directed not at the proposals, but the expectation that many voters will continuing to cheer and champion an end product that could wind up offering less to us than even ACA.

You get the criticism, you just refuse to acknowledge that if it weren’t for the influence of corporate cash ruling the Democratic Party’s leadership, then the a Universal Single Payer system proposed in the House, or the Sanders Medicare for All would not have been systematically crushed.

So from 2012 to the year 2018 US citizens were to have pinned their hopes that premiums ultimately would drop, if they just hung in there and paid premiums by force of law on policies that had deductibles so high they couldn’t afford to use the “healthcare”. I didn’t just make that up you know.

Comparing the ACA to anything that FDR accomplished is a pretty piss poor comparison. I’m a crazy fucking Leftist who wants Universal Single Payer.

It is people like yourself, absolutely dedicated to keeping that from happening. I mean, it’s just too fucking extreme.

I’m done on this topic, truly.