Home | About | Donate

The U.S. Aids and Abets War Crimes in the Philippines

The U.S. Aids and Abets War Crimes in the Philippines

Marjorie Cohn

After Sept. 11, 2001, President George W. Bush declared the Philippines a second front in the war on terror (“Operation Enduring Freedom-Philippines”). The Philippine government used this as an opportunity to escalate its war against Muslim separatists and other individuals and organizations opposing the policies of the government. The egregious human rights violations committed by the Philippine military and paramilitary forces are some of the most underreported atrocities in the media today.

Thank you for the informative, albeit sickening chronicle of life in the Philippines post-911.

Essentially, all that's described here conforms to similar protocols being used through South and Central America; nor can they be dismissed as not holding application value inside the increasingly locked down Homeland (IN)Security State:

"People and groups have been labeled “terrorists” by the Philippine government, the U.S. government and other countries at the behest of the U.S. government. The Philippine government engages in “red tagging”—political vilification. Targets are frequently human rights activists and advocates, political opponents, community organizers or groups struggling for national liberation. Those targeted for assassination are placed on the “order of battle” list."

The 911 false flag created the pretext for all of the above and this "recipe" was built into the pre-planned "sauce." What better way to set the corporate honchos "free" to rule the world without any pesky human, animal, or environmental rights getting in the way of their endless exploits?

Since the time of the Spanish American War, the stage was set for more war crimes in that country. The commanding general back then, herded hundreds of men, women and children into an inactive volcano where they killed all of them. This general received a personal congratulations by telegram from the sitting president McKinley, if memory serves, for a job well done. Of course, there are examples of the same mindset before this as Native Americans can attest, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that U.S. foreign policy includes war crimes. Throughout U.S. history, the idea of American exceptionalism is seen time and again and used to circumvent international laws and treaties anytime it pleases U.S. planners. While many Americans may buy into the myth that the U.S. only uses it's military and policies for good in the world, sooner or later such crimes will come home to roost, likely in ways that will make 9/11 appear tame by comparison, unless maybe, the people in this country face up to the many horrors done in their name by people who cannot and will not, tell the truth to them. (Allowed in school textbooks for example, think again) Even then, I'm not so sure Americans would try and reconcile with those their government and it's corporate masters have and continue to harm. It gives me no pleasure whatsoever to write this either, since I would very much like to live in a country where truth, justice and equality were real for everyone, but that isn't the case and until it is, I'll continue to point this out.

You recall the Nuremberg Tribunals I feel sure, so you know that none of the Nazis, or any of those tried by the similar tribunal in Japan included any of the crimes committed by the allies. U.S. planners, dating as far back as is possible to go have always done what they do today, with a lull every now and then, although such are hard to find when Native Americans are still under some type of attack today. Take the foreign owned copper mine corporation taking native lands right now with the consent of the U.S. government as but one more example of what really drives U.S. policy and it certainly isn't the interests of the citizens of America that motivates them, as the vote on The Dark Act, (H.R. 1599 well illustrates. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of Americans have no idea concerning the crimes committed by the government and their corporate masters, having been indoctrinated and propagandized since birth. School history textbooks don't cover any wrongdoing to be sure, nor does the corporate media machine, or as Orwell would put it, The Ministry of Truth. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the people harmed, killed, maimed, stolen from, polluted and oppressed for generations by these monsters of course and I would wager that, sooner or later something will happen that will cause 9/11 to appear tame by comparison. I'm no advocate for violence whatsoever, but I'd understand it should it happen. Sadly, most will not and that will lead to even more bloodshed for reasons most Americans won't even understand, as they join the bandwagon, being so easily swayed as they are about who their enemies are.

Yes it so sadly is and worse, public schools teach a false history, no different than other countries have done when trying to cover up past misdeeds and present them in a favorable light. As they say, the victors get to write whatever history they please and no place is that truer than right here in the U.S. For a time, right after Howard Zinn published "A People's History of the United States" many universities required reading this wonderfully accurate book, only to discover later, their funding depending on making it as invisible as possible. While I think it should be required reading on all public school levels, if such were the case, we'd see a whole lot less division among the population and the myth of a two party system governing a republic would be lost forever. Propaganda is about all standing in the way of the population removing the self-appointed ownership and their employees in the three branches of government from power and putting them all on trial. They know this of course and put more controls in all the time to maintain the status quo. They are fearful of us, not so much the other way around.

Wonder how "Act of Killing" -- the doc about US-backed mass murders in Indonesia -- is playing in the Philliplines…